pronounciation of ng in english

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: pronounciation of ng in english

Postby Dragon27 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:26 pm

Deinonysus wrote:Well, maybe it would be better to say that the East Slavic languages don't have a phonemic /ŋ/, but it can show up as an allophone in any language that has any velar consonants and allows any nasal to get next to one due to assimilation. Similarly, few if any languages have a phonemic /ɱ/ (labiodental nasal), but it can show up in any language that lets a nasal show up before a /v/ or /f/, including in English.

In Russian /n/ has a tendency to retain its value more strongly before velar consonants, than in English. Wiki, for example, says:
unlike in many other languages, /n/ does not become velar [ŋ] before velar consonants.

Canepari is less categorical. According to his paper, there is assimilation, but many people (especially in an attempt to do accurate pronunciation) only partially do it, producing complex coarticulated sound (so /n/ keeps the front tongue contact but adds a secondary velar articulation with no full contact).
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Dragon27 wrote:
Deinonysus wrote:Well, maybe it would be better to say that the East Slavic languages don't have a phonemic /ŋ/, but it can show up as an allophone in any language that has any velar consonants and allows any nasal to get next to one due to assimilation. Similarly, few if any languages have a phonemic /ɱ/ (labiodental nasal), but it can show up in any language that lets a nasal show up before a /v/ or /f/, including in English.

In Russian /n/ has a tendency to retain its value more strongly before velar consonants, than in English. Wiki, for example, says:
unlike in many other languages, /n/ does not become velar [ŋ] before velar consonants.

Canepari is less categorical. According to his paper, there is assimilation, but many people (especially in an attempt to do accurate pronunciation) only partially do it, producing complex coarticulated sound (so /n/ keeps the front tongue contact but adds a secondary velar articulation with no full contact).

Oh interesting, I stand corrected! I'm listening to the Ukrainian example again and at first I thought she was saying [maŋga] but now I think she is actually saying something like [mand̥ga], with the very slight d blocking the n from assimilating.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Dragon27 wrote:In Russian /n/ has a tendency to retain its value more strongly before velar consonants, than in English.

As a Russian learner, I can confirm that I have noticed this (strange!) phenomenon, and I can add that I find this pronunciation very challenging as a Norwegian speaker. There are also other aspects of assimilation in Russian that I find challenging, for example the distribution of the two allophones of /х/. As it happens, German has the same two allophones, but since the German distribution is determined by progressive assimilation, while the Russian distribution is determined by regressive assimilation, you get contrasting pronunciation in many instances, like German "ich" (palatal) and Russian "их" (velar). This makes me wonder if regressive assimilation is a general tendency in Russian, and if that could be the explanation for the lack of assimilation of nasals before velar stops?
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:09 pm

SCMT wrote:
tangleweeds wrote:I don't understand how you can participate authoritatively in this discussion.

You don't know how I can participate in a discussion about whether to pronounce the g in sing? Really?

No, she doesn't know how you can participate authoratively. You repeatedly stated categorically that something was true in all dialects of English, when that is absolutely not the case.
You also stated twice that you didn't know what /ŋ/ is, and made no attempt to find out what people were actually talking about while making your absolutist declarations. You told other native speakers that they're flat-out wrong, and now you're upset that the aforementioned other native speakers aren't happy with you. To be honest, I wouldn't be as polite as tangleweeds if I'd been involved in this discussion earlier and it was me that you were contradicting...

Historically, the G was always pronounced, and the [ŋ] sound simply arose when /n/ preceded /g/ or /k/, as is easily seen by looking at other Germanic languages in Central Europe and Scandinavia. We still see this in words like "ink" and "England". But in words like "singing", in most dialects/accents, the Gs have disappeared, and the NG simply denotes the /ŋ/.
(It's maybe worth noting that German immigration to the USA mostly centred around the Midwest, which has had noted effects on the local accents.)

This loss of sound is gradual, and there are dialects which still pronounce Gs in various positions, there are dialects where there is no G, and then there are people who don't pronounce the -ing suffix with /ŋ/, giving us forms written singin' in various places.

All this variation is possible and acceptable, but the one widely regarded as the standard is the one that has no /g/ in most words.

tangleweeds wrote:
SCMT wrote:There is no 'g' sound in pink.

What about the nasal sound before /k/? Is it the same as the sound at the end of 'pin' (or 'peen')?

Oh, and there's also an interesting word in the English language: 'length'. Can you transcribe sound by sound this word as you perceive it?

Look, this discussion has already pulled the original question off topic enough. If you think sin and sing have the same vowel sound, then we are never going to come to any reconciliation.

She's just curious and trying to understand where you're coming from.
Her question has piqued my curiosity too. I have the same vowel sound in "sin" and "sing", with a different final consonant, and I'm curious whether the change in vowel in your accent is caused by the N taking on an [ŋ] sound or something else. Tangleweeds's question quite neatly gets all the information we need from you to understand this point.
5 x

tussentaal
White Belt

Postby tussentaal » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:41 pm

To complicate things even further

''Vowels are raised before /N/ in the same syllable, so that the vowel in 'sing' is nearer that in 'seen' than that in 'sin' ''

source:
Handbook of the International Phonetic Association : A Guide to the Use of the International Phonetic Alphabet by International Phonetic Association (Paperback - Jun 28, 1999)

page: 43
chapter: American English
author: Peter Ladefoged (Department of Linguistics, UCLA)

''In California English, front vowels are raised before velar nasal [ŋ], so that the near-open front unrounded vowel /æ/ and the near-close near-front unrounded vowel /ɪ/ are raised to a close-mid front unrounded vowel [e] and a close front unrounded vowel [i] before [ŋ]. This change makes for near-minimal pairs such as 'king' and 'keen', both having the same vowel [i], differing from king [kɪŋ] in other varieties of English. ''

Some people pronounce -ing [IN] as -een [in] in unstressed syllables.

I was thinkeen of goeen shoppeen.

So, this leaves a question,
How do you pronounce SHOPPING?

a) shopping [ ʃɑpɪŋ ]
b) shoppingg [ ʃɑpɪŋg ]
c) shoppin' [ ʃɑpɪn ]
d) shoppeen [ ʃɑpin ]
e) shoppeeng [ ʃɑpiŋ ]
f) none of the above.
2 x
ge hebt ne vriend...

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”