Question about Complicated Latin Noun Phrase

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Earth
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Romance languages (beginner-advanced), Germanic languages (beginner-advanced), Japanese (intermediate), Polish (beginner), Russian (beginner), Greek (beginner), Persian (beginner), Hungarian (beginner), Esperanto (beginner)

Question about Complicated Latin Noun Phrase

Postby Earth » Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:35 am

I just started learning Latin and I'm starting by doing intensive reading of the Latin Wikipedia. Here's a sentence I'm having some trouble understanding.

"Etymologia est necessaria linguisticae historicae pars, quae origines vocabulorum investigat."

If I understand it correctly, this means "etymology is a necessary part of historical linguistics, which investigates the origins of words", but I have some doubt that this is accurate. I don't know Latin well enough to even draw out a phrase tree for this, but my confusion comes from my conclusion that "necessaria" modifies the meaning of "pars" despite the two words being separated by "linguisticae historicae". Is my interpretation correct, and if so, is this stuff normal in Latin?
0 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Re: Question about Complicated Latin Noun Phrase

Postby guyome » Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:39 am

Yes, it is very common for this kind of things to happen, with all sort of words. It's one of the things I find very aesthetically pleasing in Latin. This "sandwiching" can also make reading easier because it shows that linguisticae historicae pertains to necessaria pars and not to anything else in the sentence (not really a problem here, but could be in long sentences).

A few examples from the very beginning of Cicero's Pro Murena:

- cum populi Romani voluntatibus "with the wishes of the Roman people"
The genitive populi Romani ("of the Roman people") is sandwiched between the preposition cum and the complement of the preposition voluntatibus ("the wishes").

- ad hominis amici fortunas "to the fortunes of a man who is a friend"
Same as above, genitive sandwiched between the preposition and its complement.

-M. Catoni vitam ad certam rationis normam derigenti
"to Marcus Cato a man who directs his life by a certain rule of reason"
Here vitam ad certam rationis normam is sandwiched between the dative group M. Catoni derigenti ("to M. Cato who directs"). Note that there is a sandwich inside the sandwich: the genitive rationis ("of reason") is placed between the accusative group certam normam "a certain rule".

- precor (...) ob eiusdem hominis consulatum una cum salute obtinendum
"I pray for the consulship of that same man to be obtained together with safety"
There are two sandwiches one after the other here, with consulatum as central element. The genitive eiusdem hominis ("of that same man") is sandwiched between the preposition ob and its complement "consulate"; una cum salute ("together with safety") is sandwiched by consulatum obtinendum "the consulate to be obtained".

Edit: added examples.
6 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”