English: dear

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
allf100
Orange Belt
Languages: Hokkien(mother tongue, yet less fluent than my Mandarin)
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)
Persian (A little, completely forgot it.)
Sankrit (Just for alphabet, and forgot them all)

English: dear

Postby allf100 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello,

Does 'Dear + first name' imply endearment when it comes to address someone in salutions?

Here are my assumptions, and I am not sure if I am correct.

- It can imply endearment if someone addresses to other people, i.e. close friends, family etc.
- It depends on the writer if they try to be formal and respectful, but it is not necessary to imply endearment.

(I understood 'Dear Mr/Ms Smith' is just a respectful and very formal addressing in salutions.)
0 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: English: dear

Postby Xenops » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:42 am

In letters, Dear + name is a pretty neutral combination, and commonly used. When addressing a loved one--and letting them know that--they might begin the letter with "My dearest (name)" .

I never hear dear + name outside of letters, but I do hear the latter in spoken conversation...Mostly in movies, during a moment of intense emotion.
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:18 am

allf100 wrote:...Does 'Dear + first name' imply endearment when it comes to address someone in salutions salutations? Here are my assumptions, and I am not sure if I am correct.- It can imply endearment if someone addresses to other people, i.e. close friends, family etc.
- It depends on the writer if they try to be formal and respectful, but it is not necessary to imply endearment.
(I understood 'Dear Mr/Ms Smith' is just a respectful and very formal addressing in salutions salutations.)

American English-speaker here: Dear + first name is almost never used outside of the salutation (greeting) in a letter, which can be used between friends and family. If one is writing to a business associate or a stranger then- "Dear Mr. ____; Dear Ms ____; Dear Mrs. ____" is more appropriate and more formal. This construction is almost never used in speech, except on occasion in a mocking tone of voice. Hope this helps.
6 x

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:40 am

Hello Xenops and iguanamon. Thank you very much for your help.
:D
1 x
Anyone who would like to correct my writing mistakes will be always greatly appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:53 am

Oddly I'm having a conversation now with a Chinese person who keeps calling me dear. It gives me the impression she is a very old person, but she is probably young. In my experience the very old have a tendency to say "dear" to people. So unless you want people to think you're in your 90's, you should probably avoid it outside of letters.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

allf100
Orange Belt
Mandarin
English
German(A little)
Japanese(A little)

Postby allf100 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:58 am

rdearman wrote:Oddly I'm having a conversation now with a Chinese person who keeps calling me dear. It gives me the impression she is a very old person, but she is probably young. In my experience the very old have a tendency to say "dear" to people. So unless you want people to think you're in your 90's, you should probably avoid it outside of letters.

Hello rdearman,

Thank you for your advice.

I never call any native speakers of English addressing term of endearment, because I know it is not the culture of English-speaking countries.

If I were her, I would greatly appreciate that you told me this in case I didn't know the usage. If anyone finds I drop a cultural brick, please feel free to let me know.

In Chinese internet slang, it's very common to call every stranger '亲’ which is equival of 'dear', especially in online businesses. Almost every online salesperson would call their customers '亲'. Don't get surprised when you encounter this on some Chinese online business platforms.

Sometimes, I will call salespersons '亲’; and sometimes I don't, but just 你好! In reality, I don't do so.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”