Audio devices

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Paul_tx
Languages: English (N); Spanish; biblical Hebrew and and Greek; Modern Greek (beginner)

Audio devices

Postby Paul_tx » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:34 pm

Friends,

I have a lot of language-learning resources still on CD and even cassette. I also now have nothing to play them on. So I'm in the market for new equipment. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want junk, either. I'd like to get a desktop/shelf CD player (and cassette player, or something that does both, plus bluetooth, usb). Have any specific models -- not just makes -- that you've found durable and especially suitable for language learning?

Paul
0 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Re: Audio devices

Postby tungemål » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:24 am

Well, what I would do - and it's in fact what I have done since I too had resources on CDs and cassettes - I would digitize everything.

I've got everything as mp3 files (or other sound files). I can then use my computer to play the files when I'm sitting at the desk, or I can use my phone or my ipod as a player when walking, running or travelling.

It is not too hard to convert to computer files, but you need some equipment. I used my macbook, which has a CD-player, to rip the CDs with a software called XLD. For cassettes, you need a cassette player, a soundcard (unless the computer has audio in), and a software that will let you record the incoming audio (there are free ones, like Audacity).
6 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 am

I'd second this. Converting files is easier than it looks, and gives you future-proofing.

A cheap CD drive for your computer handles ripping everything you need, and lots of audio player programs can rip CDs and mp3s to your hard drive.

Cassettes are slower - but, as has been said, all you need is a functioning cassette player - even an old walkman - and a 3.5mm audio cable that will go into a computer or, if all else fails, into your phone, to be recorded.

Then you can put all your files on your phone and computer; and if you want to play them on a proper device, that too only takes a cheap cable.
4 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Paul_tx
Languages: English (N); Spanish; biblical Hebrew and and Greek; Modern Greek (beginner)

Postby Paul_tx » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:13 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Yes -- I do want to "future-proof" these materials as well. Alas, my Lenovo laptop has no CD player, so it looks like I need to buy a CD drive as well as a cassette player!

(I confess I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as I should be!)
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:36 pm

Is it really hard to find a good CD player already? I still buy my music on CDs! :lol: A quick search of the BestBuy website tells me you can still buy relatively inexpensive CD players (and also drives for your computer), and in my experience they tend to be pretty reliable. Some of them even still play cassettes too.
3 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

ironjaw
Languages: Danish (N), German (beginner), Norwegian (ALTA 9)

Postby ironjaw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:43 pm

Interesting thread. I was going to ask the same question. I have bought a Philips cassette portable desk player. I will look into the 3.5 inch audio cable and Audacity to see how this works once I receive the cassette language course I've brought on eBay, but I've never done this before. For the CD (they are also on their way) I have a Mac and a USB SuperDrive external CD player that I bought second hand for £15 that I am looking to use. I will use this with my Mac and Audacity to convert them, but I am all knew to this so will need to do some reading. The advantage is that with iTunes Music subscription it all gets uploaded to the Cloud and is easily available on my iPhone.

Is there any advise for vinyl?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:30 pm

2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

ironjaw
Languages: Danish (N), German (beginner), Norwegian (ALTA 9)

Postby ironjaw » Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:07 pm

Thank you so much for referring to your YouTube video. It seems painless so phew! Last time I used Audacity was back in 2006 and quite enjoyed it ripping a CD onto AAC track to iTunes.
0 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:32 pm

Paul_tx wrote:Thank you both for your replies. Yes -- I do want to "future-proof" these materials as well. Alas, my Lenovo laptop has no CD player, so it looks like I need to buy a CD drive as well as a cassette player!

(I confess I'm not nearly as tech-savvy as I should be!)

I bought a Cocopa DVD/CD drive for my laptop, it cost me 20 euros on Amazon and it works just fine, and you can import your CD tracks as files really quickly onto your hard drive. You can find plenty of others as well in the price range 20-30 USD/Euros.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:16 pm

Paul_tx wrote:Friends,

I have a lot of language-learning resources still on CD and even cassette. I also now have nothing to play them on. So I'm in the market for new equipment. I don't want to break the bank, but I don't want junk, either. I'd like to get a desktop/shelf CD player (and cassette player, or something that does both, plus bluetooth, usb). Have any specific models -- not just makes -- that you've found durable and especially suitable for language learning?

Paul

I haven't looked at the video, so maybe it's already mentioned on there, but you can buy gadgets for converting cassettes to digital audio, which you'd probably connect to a computer via USB. I can't give any recommendations, but they didn't look like bank-breakers when I was contemplating this myself.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”