I'm trying to fit in the “listening” in my morning runs.

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
ivargas2
Languages: Portuguese (N), Spanish (C1), English (B2), French (A1)

I'm trying to fit in the “listening” in my morning runs.

Postby ivargas2 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:05 am

Just a brief background. I'm somewhere between B2~C1 in English, but I focused on learning Spanish in the last two years because I'd moved to Argentina, so my English got stuck and rusty since then. Last month I decided I was going to focus on reaching the C1 ~ C2 level as I aim to be a "perfect user"(feel more comfortable) of this language.

Right now, I'm focusing on my weaknesses, which are listening and building vocabulary. I'm reading books with LWT, and listening to things like tv series, podcasts, audiobooks, and so on, but I found out a way to use my morning runs to be a little bit more productive. I started running and listening to podcasts. Then I switched to listening to podcasts that I would read after running when I got home. Now I'm thinking about doing one thing, listening to the book's audiobook I'm reading, during the running. After the running, I read the same part that I've just listened to in order to fix both listening and vocabulary skills.

What do you guys think about that? Any advice would be fantastic to try to adapt a listening routine in my morning runs.
Thanks

PS: I'd appreciate it if you point out my mistakes in this text. I'm not used to writing in English at all.
8 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Re: I'm trying to fit in the “listening” in my morning runs.

Postby 白田龍 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:07 pm

Sounds like a good plan.
0 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Postby SCMT » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:40 pm

FWIW, I think your English writing is very good. Since you asked for corrections, I will make one observation:

ivargas2 wrote:Just a brief background. I'm somewhere between B2~C1 in English, but I focused on learning Spanish in the last two years because I'd moved to Argentina, so my English got stuck and rusty since then.

The verb tense is not quite right here. I have focused on learning Spanish because I moved to Argentina, ïs better. Your focusing is a continuous action, so I think perfect tense is best, although you will hear simple past in speech. The abbreviated I had moved is not a big error, but it is not correct. Your move to Argentina is a completed act, so use simple past.
2 x

ivargas2
Languages: Portuguese (N), Spanish (C1), English (B2), French (A1)

Postby ivargas2 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:01 pm

SCMT wrote:FWIW, I think your English writing is very good. Since you asked for corrections, I will make one observation:

ivargas2 wrote:Just a brief background. I'm somewhere between B2~C1 in English, but I focused on learning Spanish in the last two years because I'd moved to Argentina, so my English got stuck and rusty since then.

The verb tense is not quite right here. I have focused on learning Spanish because I moved to Argentina, ïs better. Your focusing is a continuous action, so I think perfect tense is best, although you will hear simple past in speech. The abbreviated I had moved is not a big error, but it is not correct. Your move to Argentina is a completed act, so use simple past.

Thanks for your help! ;)
0 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:04 am

Hi.
I was thinking to start a thread on running.

I too enjoy running and I wonder who else here runs? I also sometimes listen to language podcasts while running. There are several benefits:
- Two things at the same time: exercising the body while practicing language
- exercise and running in particular increase the blood flow to the brain and makes you learn better

What equipment do you use? I've got an ipod shuffle with wired earbuds. I bought an used ipod shuffle because it is small and light and I don't want to carry the cell phone.

I will put all the Lingq ministories on the ipod and play them in random order for my runs.
5 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:20 pm

I did a lot of English L-R (listening-running) :lol: when I was trying to develop my listening skills in my preparation for public exam. My main source is BBC podcast (news and radio shows) because I need to get my ears accustomed to British accents.
So in my routine 45-min run, I would use a 10-min news segment and do the following-
- listen to the segment once to understand its general meaning and try to capture as much
- listen again, try to shadow some of the sentences, the purpose is to make sure that you really know what the anchor is saying (like try to repeat word for word) and this time aim for 90-100% comprehension (as you're aiming for C). If you missed a part, rewind and re-listen until you give up
- If you bump into words which you don't know, try to guess, but in the end you may need to look up dictionary. You may struggle a bit in spelling the word. You may have to stop at the sidewalk and look up the word.
- If there are time remaining (usually you spend 3-4 times the time listening the second time), listen again, this time you should understand everything

<WARNING: You should also pay attention to the road. Sometimes you may be too concentrated on the podcast and forget that there are other people on the road>
5 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:29 pm

Does anyone use one of the newer fitness watches with inbuilt mp3 player?
0 x

genini1
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese

Postby genini1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:46 pm

tungemål wrote:Does anyone use one of the newer fitness watches with inbuilt mp3 player?

I have one that has mp3 built in, but I still use my phone since most of the content I use is via streaming and the watches require you to load it onto the watch before using it. Or you can link it to your phone I guess, but then you need to have your phone anyway which sort of defeats the purpose.
0 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:21 pm

tungemål wrote:Hi.

I too enjoy running and I wonder who else here runs? I also sometimes listen to language podcasts while running. There are several benefits:
- exercise and running in particular increase the blood flow to the brain and makes you learn better

What equipment do you use? I've got an ipod shuffle with wired earbuds. I bought an used ipod shuffle because it is small and light and I don't want to carry the cell phone.

I typically listen to English podcasts while running simply because I've only started running more regularly during quarantine and I'm behind on most of my normal podcasts. But I've been thinking I should mix some TL ones in. I use my phone (in an armband holder) and some wireless earbuds, but a smart watch is on my list of things to get at some point. Also, listening to podcasts makes household chores bearable (and cooking, although I don't hate cooking, but listening to stuff makes time go by quicker).

I also lift weights and do hill sprints but only listen to music on those--I couldn't focus on a podcast except during breaks on those, no matter what the language. The "bad side" is I've been eschewing regular runs for sprints lately, but the sprints have helped my regular runs (which aren't long anyway) and I like them more I think.
1 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:42 am

tungemål wrote:Hi.

I will put all the Lingq ministories on the ipod and play them in random order for my runs.

I use my iphone and airpod when doing Pimsleur. I have set tapping left ear as rewind and right ear as pause, so that I can restart at the place where I tripped, be it Pimsleur or Running.

I avoid using wired earbuds. If your hand accidentally tangle with the wire when swinging your hand during the run, it can either rip your ear off or cause your phone drop to the ground.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”