Anki card design.

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Re: Anki card design.

Postby Gordafarin2 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:22 am

My cards have evolved over the years. While I use a bunch of different fields, I aim to keep them simple, from a styling standpoint (if you check out Reddit you can find people who have made their Anki cards really beautiful with CSS; I use just enough styles to differentiate and highlight the most important info).

My oldest deck is a standard L2-L1 vocabulary deck:
Screenshot_20200824-103431.jpg

Just the word is on the front. On the back is: pronunciation, definition, example sentence, example translation, list of tags. Not all of these fields are included in every card - many just have L2 front, L1 back. If the pronunciation isn't self-evident, I will add the pronunciation field, and I add a sample sentence as I come across them (or, later on, if I'm struggling to remember the word, I will hunt down a sample sentence to re-enforce the meaning).

Most of my cards are really quite messy and it's rare to find a 'complete' card like this ;) I would rather have a basic card, that I can later add to, than break my flow having to add all 5 fields each time I had to add a card.

When an example sentence is added to the note, it generates a corresponding sentence card to study.
Screenshot_20200824-103528.jpg

I also have a lot of mined sentences that aren't linked to any vocabulary word in particular. When I read an interesting turn of phrase, a tricky piece of grammar, an idiom I want to remember - I add that into the deck. (Inspired by Antimoon) I really prefer studying full sentences over isolated words, so other than the 1 Persian vocabulary deck, all my other decks are some variation of sentence cards.
Screenshot_20200824.jpg

All of my sentences cards also have an optional 'notes' field where I can put anything that seems useful. Sometimes I use it, sometimes not. With my mined sentences, the back of the card is often empty, because the point of the card is just to read the sentence and absorb its meaning & grammar.

Here's a Chinese card. I recently added a custom font to Anki, so I can get used to reading characters in different styles, not just the default font:
Screenshot_20200824-103848.jpg

It has audio and the fancy Chinese font on front, then the default font, pinyin, and meaning on the back.
You can see I put pinyin in a smaller font and a less obvious colour, so that I read the characters first, and only check the pronunciation when I need to.

And here's a Subs2SRS card. It has audio & Chinese & optionally Pinyin on front, and meaning on back:
Screenshot_20200824.jpg

Traditional characters happened to be included in this deck that I downloaded, so I left them on the card... I'm not really studying Traditional Chinese, but I figure it can't hurt to be exposed to them. So I glance over the Traditional line while I review the cards, but I don't try to memorise them. It's an experiment!

On the subject of card creation frustration... My cards are a mix of sentences/words that I have hand-picked myself, and stuff that I have imported from various sources. With bulk imported content, I never have a problem of having too few cards. It's just a question of finding the right cards... For instance, I have downloaded an absolute shedload of Chinese Subs2SRS cards that other people have created. Most of these cards sit suspended in my Anki collection, waiting for their day to shine. And when I learn a new phrase, I search in Anki as a massive sentence bank - I can see the phrase in multiple contexts, which gives me a better sense of the meaning. I pick the best examples that I find, and I queue them up for studying. So I have imported a ton of cards in bulk, but I curate myself which cards I am actually going to study (Morphman helps too, but that's a different post entirely).

And for saving sentences from what I read, I just make a habit of having an Anki window or Ankiweb tab open that I can copy-paste into, or having my phone nearby when I'm reading a book, to quickly type the sentence in. Yes it breaks the rhythm a bit, but I don't do it often. The sentence needs to be exciting enough that I really don't want to lose it.

This post got long, sorry! But here are my main points:
  • Use fields to separate information. This makes it super easy to add, remove, re-order or re-style things later on.
  • You don't have to use every field for every card. In fact, you can have cards with only 1 field and everything else empty, and that actually works great in some situations
  • Different languages have different needs. If your L2 has consistent spelling, for example, you wouldn't need a pronunciation field. But maybe you need a noun gender field, or a formality field, or a dialect field, or something else
  • Keep trying new things and see what works for you
  • Recognise when something isn't working, and don't be afraid to change it :) Don't let Anki become a chore
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:30 pm

rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:rdearman
> I have added some Cloze Deletion cards, but very few.

Your card reads:

to know (ind. pres.)
=========
I say
You say

Was that by intention?

Yes. That is all the various conjugations of sapere.

I mean they are different verbs, front "know" and back "say".
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:13 pm

smallwhite wrote:
rdearman wrote:
smallwhite wrote:rdearman
> I have added some Cloze Deletion cards, but very few.

Your card reads:

to know (ind. pres.)
=========
I say
You say

Was that by intention?

Yes. That is all the various conjugations of sapere.

I mean they are different verbs, front "know" and back "say".

Oh yeah, that card has a copy paste error which I haven't bothered to correct. Well spotted!
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:16 pm

I exclusively use cloze cards since anki is just a supplement to language learning. The traditional format of word or sentence on the front does nothing for me. Passively reading stuff over and over does nothing for me. Sometimes I don't remember word or the meaning even though i saw the word or sentence in anki many times in the basic format. Active recall is where it's at. I learn better/faster with anki but anki doesn't substitute reading and listening etc. Because I use cloze cards I use lax settings because the default settings defeat the purpose of spaced repetition because it's so overkill

I make 2 clozes for korean and french. I make 1 cloze for japnase. I use excel, autohotkey, gaming mouse, rikaisama (for japanese), anki plugins and more to bang the cards out so i can import them. i try to avoid adding cards in one at a time whenever possible. I do not copy paste a million times into the add window of anki... I avoid that as much as possible. I also use the mass tagger feature of morphman (again check out mattvsjapan's mia website for info on that) since i have so many korean cards in my deck

french

anki code

Si elles deviennent gênantes , il suffit de leur jeter un sort pour *-{{c1::b}}rider -* leur magie .
If they become annoying , just cast a spell on them . to bind/ *-{{c2::re}}strain -* their magic .

japaense

korean
code

손 -{{c1::벌}}{{c2::리}}-다 = ask for money/things. demand money/things.
$$
-{{c2::金}}-銭・物を-{{c2::要}}-求する、カネなどを-{{c2::せ}}-がむ、手を広げる

直訳すると「手を広げる

I use sharex to quickly take screenshot captures to insert into anki and i honestly avoid adding pictures to anki when i make cards since it gets time-consuming and not always helpful.

mediafire links for librecalc/excel codes for mass-producing cloze french anki cards:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/rm7f1165h ... s.ods/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/bdv7k1brf ... .xlsx/file

authotkey
https://www.reddit.com/r/Anki/comments/ ... to_import/

search sharex mattvsjapan for sharex info.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”