Anki addons - preferences

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Anki addons - preferences

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:08 pm

Hello everyone.
I am a bit curious how all of you prefer your cards.
Do you go for quantity or quality in card creation and which addons do you prefer to do so? Do you use one that facilities multiple card type creation or has readings, or lookups?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: Anki addons - preferences

Postby jonm » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:33 pm

I like this addon which expands the stats page to track learned and mature cards.

Most of my Anki cards test whole sentences from Assimil or other sources and include audio. I use three different types of cards that come at the sentences from different angles: listening, reading, and translation. Details in this log post.

And then I also have a deck for kanji where I'm shown the character and I see if I can remember the basic meaning.
Last edited by jonm on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:17 pm

jonm wrote:I like this this addon which expands the stats page to track learned and mature cards.

Most of my Anki cards test whole sentences from Assimil or other sources and include audio. I use three different types of cards that come at the sentences from different angles: listening, reading, and translation. Details in this log post.

And then I also have a deck for kanji where I'm shown the character and I see if I can remember the basic meaning.

Nice addon. I hope to learn about other nice one. Thanks
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:13 am

I like:
Japanese support
Image resizer
Perfectage heatmap
I tried the "frozen field" addon, but it doesn't seem to work for audio files.
0 x

Raccoon
Languages: French (N), English, German (advanced beginner)

Postby Raccoon » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:25 am

Add-ons I use:
Review Heatmap
Progress Bar

I am not new to SRS but I am new to the Anki software. I have refrained myself from going too deep into modifying the settings, I want to first find out what I like through consistent use before I try changes, I plan to experiment later on.

My priority is card quality, yet I find that in most cases (about 85% of my deck) a very basic card is all I need.
Basic card: recto [target language] | verso [translation]

I follow these simple rules:

I make all the cards myself with new vocabulary I encounter. They are "basic".
    After several reviews I only enhance the cards I fail repeatedly.
    Often-failed cards are enhanced either with a finer definition, audio, a mnemotechnic cue, my native language.

That means that I spend time enhancing only the cards of the words that keep eluding me, and cut down on the time I spend making/editing cards.
I also keep it fun and include cards with funny proverbs or slang, or short jokes. They are rare in my deck yet the power of the unexpected giggle during a review session is a delight. :D

I do not use pre-made decks right now because that doesn't align with my current goals but if in the future I decide to take a language proficiency certification exam, I certainly would use such decks.

Finally, I keep my rate of new cards an daily reviews low. This is not a race for me and I want to keep the daily reviewing time low and not have it compete with the time I can dedicate to actively study new material.
5 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:13 am

If you do your reviewing at the computer, I recommend the Load Balancer add-on. It helps to avoid all your reviews clumping up at the same time. It might make the Anki algorithm a little less 'efficient' by shifting cards a few days forward or back, but the consistency you gain is worth it. It's so disheartening when you wake up to a mountain of reviews that you didn't expect.

I also can't live without Advanced Browser and Multi-Column Note Editor for managing my collection. I also use the famous heatmap add-on, which has been much more motivating than I expected - I do not want to lose my streak! (currently at 103 days)

I do have a lot of other add-ons, but they're more case-specific (for example, I use several Chinese add ons).

In terms of card formats, I only use recognition cards (that is, L2 -> L1, never L1 -> L2). I know other people might disagree with me on that, but that lines up best with my studying goals and balancing amount of learning vs amount of cards I need to study. Most of my note types do have multiple card types associated with them - so, I have a vocabulary card, with an example sentence field. When the example sentence is filled in, it generates a sentence card with the sentence on the front and the vocabulary word on the back. And in Chinese, I have 3 cards with 1) audio, Chinese characters and pinyin pronunciation, 2) audio and characters, and 3) just characters on front, and the other stuff on the back. For those 3-step cards, I keep the latter 2 suspended until I have learned the first card. I use triggers and actions to unsuspend the sibling cards when card 1 is mature. (that's a powerful add-on with a lot of potential, but you basically have to code the actions yourself, so I haven't played around with it very much)
4 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:58 pm

Gordafarin2 wrote:If you do your reviewing at the computer, I recommend the Load Balancer add-on. It helps to avoid all your reviews clumping up at the same time. It might make the Anki algorithm a little less 'efficient' by shifting cards a few days forward or back, but the consistency you gain is worth it. It's so disheartening when you wake up to a mountain of reviews that you didn't expect.

I also can't live without Advanced Browser and Multi-Column Note Editor for managing my collection. I also use the famous heatmap add-on, which has been much more motivating than I expected - I do not want to lose my streak! (currently at 103 days)

I do have a lot of other add-ons, but they're more case-specific (for example, I use several Chinese add ons).

In terms of card formats, I only use recognition cards (that is, L2 -> L1, never L1 -> L2). I know other people might disagree with me on that, but that lines up best with my studying goals and balancing amount of learning vs amount of cards I need to study. Most of my note types do have multiple card types associated with them - so, I have a vocabulary card, with an example sentence field. When the example sentence is filled in, it generates a sentence card with the sentence on the front and the vocabulary word on the back. And in Chinese, I have 3 cards with 1) audio, Chinese characters and pinyin pronunciation, 2) audio and characters, and 3) just characters on front, and the other stuff on the back. For those 3-step cards, I keep the latter 2 suspended until I have learned the first card. I use triggers and actions to unsuspend the sibling cards when card 1 is mature. (that's a powerful add-on with a lot of potential, but you basically have to code the actions yourself, so I haven't played around with it very much)

You mentioned sound on your Chinese cards. I am curious do you use AwesomeTTS? If so, do you use one of the versions that require an api? Or do you acquire sound in another way?
0 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:29 am

Ccaesar wrote:You mentioned sound on your Chinese cards. I am curious do you use AwesomeTTS? If so, do you use one of the versions that require an api? Or do you acquire sound in another way?

No, I'm not a fan of TTS to be honest. My audio cards are from the Spoonfed Chinese deck and from movies/TV (Subs2SRS).
0 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:36 am

Gordafarin2 wrote:
Ccaesar wrote:You mentioned sound on your Chinese cards. I am curious do you use AwesomeTTS? If so, do you use one of the versions that require an api? Or do you acquire sound in another way?

No, I'm not a fan of TTS to be honest. My audio cards are from the Spoonfed Chinese deck and from movies/TV (Subs2SRS).

Interesting!
Personally, I really want more authentic sound, but the phrases I have a very "random", so it's difficult to find the right sound. I use forvo for single words, mostly, if I have the time. But AwesomeTTS for sentences. I have been fascinated by the Japanese MIA addon, but it doesn't work for the newest version of Anki. Does anyone have any experience with it?
0 x

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:52 pm

hi,

I made a lot of Chinese lists (vocabulary, phrases, with simplified Chinese and Traditional, pinyin, English translations (some French too) and audio when I found them.) I did use some tts for sounds I didn't find.

There is a big phrases database with native Chinese sounds and several audio for each, coming from different regions of China.

I build lists in different formats, in which CSV are suitable to import in an Anki deck. (I already made one for myself).

https://git.yojik.eu/eric/Chinese-MaineEdu

You can find the corresponding Anki deck, and some other decks on https://divers.yojik.eu

HSK1 to 3 are on the git server, lists, media etc .... you can import them to make your own deck. I used sounds from http://shtooka.net (a site "we" created a long time ago ... 2006)

Here https://git.yojik.eu/eric/Chinese-Chinwa, you can find a little documentation about the building of the deck, the structure of the lists created with some screenshots of the cards: I built a lot of exercises types : reading, listening, typing Hanzi, typing pinyin ... just check it out.

I wrote many little programs (typescript) to add traditional characters, format, transform the initial.CSV lists I created. They are in the git server, along with the different lists (program directory). (the program need a bit of cleanup :D )

I'll upload in the same directory (divers.yojik.eu) the Maineedu anki dec (in construction) tonight.

Very soon (in 3 months, I'll be retired :D and I'll have time to finish all these things I didn't have time to polish and finish.)

Best regards

Eric

UPDATE: the maineedu Anki pkg is on https://divers.yojik.eu
2 x
administrator of fsi-languages.yojik.eu;
French(N), German, English, Russian.
Chinese and Korean beginner

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”