Anki addons - preferences

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Re: Anki addons - preferences

Postby luke » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:49 pm

For those who use Anki addons...

* Do you upgrade your Anki version very often?
* Have you ever had an incompatibility with an addon after upgrading?
* Does there seem to be much interdependency between addons and Anki versions?
0 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

CDR
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (B2?), Japanese (A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18051

Re: Anki addons - preferences

Postby CDR » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:04 am

I use too many addons for Anki, the ones I used most often are in bold.
  • Add Hyperlink
  • Advanced Browser
  • AJT Browser Play Button
  • AJT Flexible Grading
  • AJT Furigana
  • AJT Moritican
  • AJT Pitch Accent
  • Anki Simulator
  • Beemind Maintained Progress
  • Cross Profile Search and Import 20
  • Edit Field During Review
  • HyperTTS
  • Kanji Grid
  • Learn Now Button
  • Merge Notes
  • Paste Images As WebP
  • Reset Card Scheduling
  • Review Heatmap
  • Speed Focus Mode
  • True Retention

Anki Simulator is the newest find, and I really like it, it uses your deck stats to simulate what future review load will be like, and you can simulate different # of new cards per day.

I used Kanji Grid to bring forward all the N5, 4, and 3 Kanji I had not yet seen in my RRTK deck (there by departing from RRTK order). It is satisfying to watch the grid fill in as time goes by.

I use Speed Focus to set off a tone 15-30 seconds after seeing a card, depending on the type, because typically if I haven't answered it in this time, it is because I have become distracted and I am no longer thinking about what is on the card. When I first started using it my review times sped up significantly. I am not sure if it is still working however.

As a shift worker, the Review Heatmap is not as good as it was before. Since my "day" hours are changing, I have to change the "hours after midnight" to reset Anki, and this changes the stats in the Review Heatmap for the past. So holes appear in grid appear between schedule switches.

Previously I tried leaving my Anki to reset at midnight, but I would have to rush to complete the reviews before midnight, and then do them again after midnight (before sleeping) doing 2 days in 1 "day" every time I switch sleep schedules. This ruined reviewing timing and my ability to remember the cards properly. So now, I have to accept ever changing gaps in my heatmap.

luke wrote:For those who use Anki addons...

* Do you upgrade your Anki version very often?
* Have you ever had an incompatibility with an addon after upgrading?
* Does there seem to be much interdependency between addons and Anki versions?

1) I am on Linux, so Anki upgrades whenever the package manager makes it upgrade, I haven't had this create a problem yet
2) I delayed moving to 2.1 until all the addons I was using at the time had moved over
3) It depends on the maintainer. Some addons have a wide range of version compatibility. In the Download section it will inform you what versions of Anki the addon supports. I try to only depend on ones with a wide range.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”