Anki + colour + retention

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Anki + colour + retention

Postby Ccaesar » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello everyone
Now that I have holidays I am trying to follow some of the princepals introduced in the book atomic habits

1) Make it easy + make it wantable
In this regard I am setting up anki for conquering. The basic design of cards is pretty boring, so I started wondering has any researched been done into what colours might improve your retention when learning?
I googled a bit and apparently the colour holds the power to improve your memory and retention.
https://www.color-meanings.com/how-does ... ct-memory/
Has anyone else had any experience with this?
3 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Anki + colour + retention

Postby Kraut » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:34 pm

I have been experimenting with colours a bit. What you see is not coherent. I'm planning, when archiving texts for repitition, to have only one! text with annotations and translations, passages etc in different colours. So that I will only have a text (no longer bidirectional) plus the translation via audio in the repetition archive.
Texts 1 and 3 come close to what I intend to have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:40 am

Kraut wrote:I have been experimenting with colours a bit. What you see is not coherent. I'm planning, when archiving texts for repitition, to have only one! text with annotations and translations, passages etc in different colours. So that I will only have a text (no longer bidirectional) plus the translation via audio in the repetition archive.
Texts 1 and 3 come close to what I intend to have.

That looks really interesting! Will you keep a log on your experiment -- have you already noticed a differnce?
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:10 pm

I use color in Chinese flashcards to diferentiate characters with multiple pronunciation, for ex, the character 強 can be read qiang3 qiang2 or jiang4, so my cards will look like this:

拉: qiǎng​ lā

烈: qiáng ​liè

: jué​ jiàng

This has made characters that have multiple readings, wich were giving me a lot of trouble, as easy as any single reading character.

I will remove the colour as the cards mature, but this is a new deck, I haven't got to this point yet.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”