Asking you for some tips for Spanish pronunciation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
ScarletThorn
Languages: Russian (N), English (B2), German (B1), Spanish (beginner), Latin (beginner), Chinese (studied in school)

Asking you for some tips for Spanish pronunciation

Postby ScarletThorn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:39 am

Hello everyone! I'm not sure whether this forum is intended to help with pronunciation or not, but I would be most grateful if you would help me.
My friend and I have written and recorded this song. We are beginners in learning Spanish, so I'm just not experienced enough to give a judgment about it objectively. I ask you to help point up our mistakes in both pronunciation and grammar that make it difficult to sound natural. What about my guess, I think I lack good articulation of vowels.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q2rWkfeD09p8R_DlnOhj-88k6TygQjPm/view

Warning: The lyrics may be found quite vulgar.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: Asking you for some tips for Spanish pronunciation

Postby Querneus » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:45 pm

ScarletThorn wrote:What about my guess, I think I lack good articulation of vowels.

Yeah, I think that's the most noticeable thing too. You just... have Russian-accented vowels. Most notably you often pronounce -o and -a the same (as a schwa or reduced a), also doing things like using the sound of ы where you should use the sound of и, for example, pronouncing "veterinaria" as veter-ы-naria [beteɾɨˈnærjə].

I notice that in both this recording and the full song on YouTube, you mispronounce "enemigo ahora" as enemig'ahora, since the -o of enemigo sounds the same to you as the a- of ahora. The -o is supposed to sound distinct. Here's a recording I just made.

You also confuse the -r- and -rr- sounds (ahora > "ahorra", sometimes perro > "pero" as in "Pongo el per(r)o"), and pronounce the sounds "b d g" too strongly between two vowels. They're supposed to sound like a "v", somewhat like the [ð] sound of English "the", and the soft г that Belarussians and people in southwestern Russia often use (дорога [dɐˈɾoɣə]), respectively, all three after a vowel (and also often after "r" or "s", and also in lb lg). Also cagar has a /g/ sound, like gato, gordo, agujero.

Significa is stressed on -fi-: esto significa. In this respect Spanish differs from Italian, which may be the source of your mistake as that does have questo significa. (It may be of your interest to hear that, in the Middle Ages, Spanish used to have sigfica too, but that went away later on.)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”