Plan with a deadline: French from 0 to B2 in 8-9 months

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
nbeing
White Belt
Languages: English(N),German(C2), French(C1), Spanish(C1), Italian(B2), Czech(B2), Dutch(B2), Russian(B1), Portuguese(A2), Greek (beginner)

Re: Plan with a deadline: French from 0 to B2 in 8-9 months

Postby nbeing » Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:53 am

True, Peter, but the OP is an experienced language learner who has already successfully reached C1 in English and has been through the beginner stages of German. Therefore once he been able to gather the necessary resources, what more does he reallly need? As a fellow serial -procrastinator you'll know how easy it is to fall into the trap of simply not getting down to business. I have been guilty of wasting so much time and effort chasing yet more materials/methods/advice instead of using my precious time productively.

My reason for posting is the tight time-frame in which vahid is working. As you point out, this is a massive ask, so there is little to be achieved in 'warming-up' for a week when the starting gun has already been fired and the other runners are already heading down the back straight.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:59 pm

nbeing wrote:True, Peter, but the OP is an experienced language learner who has already successfully reached C1 in English and has been through the beginner stages of German. Therefore once he been able to gather the necessary resources, what more does he reallly need? As a fellow serial -procrastinator you'll know how easy it is to fall into the trap of simply not getting down to business. I have been guilty of wasting so much time and effort chasing yet more materials/methods/advice instead of using my precious time productively.

My reason for posting is the tight time-frame in which vahid is working. As you point out, this is a massive ask, so there is little to be achieved in 'warming-up' for a week when the starting gun has already been fired and the other runners are already heading down the back straight.

Ah, yes, given C1 experience in learning English and some experience with German, you are indeed correct, nbeing. Let's hope the OP has commenced this high paced race over quite a substantial distance.
1 x

vahid
White Belt
Languages: Persian(N), English(C1), German(A2), French(beginner)

Postby vahid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:16 pm

nbeing wrote:I wonder how much time you've spent so far posting/replying/commenting here in English instead of devoting it to your goal of learning French? As I see it you now have some excellent advice , good resources that you're happy with and a cunning plan of action. It would be interesting to hear how you are progressing once in a while, but for goodness sake cut to the chase and don't waste valuable time and energy on peripheral issues.
Bon courage!

Hello There,
Not much actually. I started my studying since two weeks ago (with Assimil and Teach Yourself) and have been aware of the learning styles among polyglots. I have actually used it over the years for learning German (Shadowing, Scriptium and bidirectional translation).
I, however, needed a solid plan about French and the process of preparing for exams. I am really glad that I did that...

Cheers,
4 x

Cocoa
Languages: English - native
French - beginner A0

Postby Cocoa » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:55 pm

Hi,

Just wondering if you got to B2 as 9 months would end approximately March/April 2021.

Let us know how you got on. Did you manage to pass your test?
10 x

munyag
Yellow Belt
Languages: Shona (N), Spanish (Beginner), French (Beginner)

Postby munyag » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:12 am

vahid wrote:
nbeing wrote:I wonder how much time you've spent so far posting/replying/commenting here in English instead of devoting it to your goal of learning French? As I see it you now have some excellent advice , good resources that you're happy with and a cunning plan of action. It would be interesting to hear how you are progressing once in a while, but for goodness sake cut to the chase and don't waste valuable time and energy on peripheral issues.
Bon courage!

Hello There,
Not much actually. I started my studying since two weeks ago (with Assimil and Teach Yourself) and have been aware of the learning styles among polyglots. I have actually used it over the years for learning German (Shadowing, Scriptium and bidirectional translation).
I, however, needed a solid plan about French and the process of preparing for exams. I am really glad that I did that...

Cheers,

Hi Vahid

How did the test go?
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”