Shadowing for pronunciation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Shadowing for pronunciation

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed May 27, 2020 6:08 pm

thevagrant88 wrote:To piggyback on this thread, does anybody do shadowing in the upper-intermidiate to advanced level? I shadowed my way all through Assimil Spanish with Ease and about half of Using Spanish and found it supremely helpful.

Agreed. I've shadowed a fair amount the languages listed under my profile, as well as a bunch of others. A good method for ear-tongue coordination, and getting up to speed (or maintaining it, if you don't speak the language that often).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Thu May 28, 2020 12:26 am

CardiffGiant wrote:Both podcasts recommend utilizing a transcript in L2, and essentially reading along simultaneously or just after the spoken audio to attempt to duplicate the pronunciation and the cadence of the spoken audio.

I feel pretty strongly about not reading when learning pronunciation at the sentence level, at least in the beginning.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 am

leosmith wrote:
CardiffGiant wrote:Both podcasts recommend utilizing a transcript in L2, and essentially reading along simultaneously or just after the spoken audio to attempt to duplicate the pronunciation and the cadence of the spoken audio.

I feel pretty strongly about not reading when learning pronunciation at the sentence level, at least in the beginning.

I try to keep it minimal as well. Reading along easily distracts one from concentrating on the sounds
1 x

HerbM
Languages: English, native
French, upper beginner, perhaps closing on lower intermediate
Spanish beginner (inactive)
German, beginner (dormant, inactive)
German, lower beginner (dormant, inactive)
Arabic, lower beginner (dormant, inactive)
Nederland, lower beginner (dormant, inactive)

Postby HerbM » Sat May 30, 2020 12:16 am

Specific answers to most of the questions in this thread can be found in Olle Kjellin's Facebook group and more specifically in his PDF docs available there: (Olle Kjellin, not Olly.)

Pronunciation Best Practices (Facebook) https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=pronunciation%20best%20practices
Kjellin Practice Pronunciation with Audacity https://www.facebook.com/groups/best.pronunciation/?post_id=2488854401367750

He focuses on prosody and his main doc explains the theory, practice, and use of Audacity in about equal parts.

It's excellent and after reading it your biggest complaint will likely be hoping for more.

He describes how to use Audacity specifically but other programs can off course be used including Praat (although this is optimized for slightly different and more sophisticated tasks.)

Also, David Tolman of https://fluentlistener.com (and YouTube) offers related material but more closely focused on being able to hear and decode the sounds of the language. (David's main focus is French, which I'm studying, but his techniques carry over to any other spoken language.)

For myself, I also do a lot of Glossika -- the old audio program, not the borked up website version.

Hope this helps some of you and we'll keep this thread going.
2 x

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 pm

HerbM wrote:Specific answers to most of the questions in this thread can be found in Olle Kjellin's Facebook group and more specifically in his PDF docs available there: (Olle Kjellin, not Olly.)

Pronunciation Best Practices (Facebook) https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=pronunciation%20best%20practices
Kjellin Practice Pronunciation with Audacity https://www.facebook.com/groups/best.pronunciation/?post_id=2488854401367750

He focuses on prosody and his main doc explains the theory, practice, and use of Audacity in about equal parts.

It's excellent and after reading it your biggest complaint will likely be hoping for more.

He describes how to use Audacity specifically but other programs can off course be used including Praat (although this is optimized for slightly different and more sophisticated tasks.).

Thank you! Unfortunately, I do not have Facebook. Is there a way to read these documents/posts in some another way?
1 x

teapot
White Belt
Languages: British English (N), Italian (Principiante)

Postby teapot » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:35 am

CardiffGiant wrote:
jeffers wrote:The Ear2Memory app is designed for exactly this: you can have it repeat small sections of a larger audio file, slow them down, etc.

Is this apple available for iphones? I could not find an IOS version.

Whilst not designed for language learning, AnyTune is an iOS app that will allow you to bookmark segments of audio files and reduce playback speed whilst preserving pitch. The controls also make it easy to repeat loops many times.

Like Audacity, AnyTune is intended for music applications, but it might do enough for you. There’s a free version you can try to see if it suits your needs. I’ve used it for some time to help transcribe difficult passages of music. I find it very reliable and the pitch preservation is good. I’ve used it for the odd clip of language audio that I found unintelligible and it worked well.

If you do find an iOS app that is designed specifically for this language purpose, I’d be very grateful if you posted here about it.
1 x

slowmoon
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N), DE (Int.)

Postby slowmoon » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:36 am

When you guys say you do shadowing, do you mean that you do the full Arguelles technique?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdheWK7u11w

I assume not.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:37 am

I say what I hear, as soon as I hear it. I'm not necessarily doing it during my walks, though.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:32 pm

teapot wrote:
CardiffGiant wrote:
jeffers wrote:The Ear2Memory app is designed for exactly this: you can have it repeat small sections of a larger audio file, slow them down, etc.

Is this apple available for iphones? I could not find an IOS version.

Whilst not designed for language learning, AnyTune is an iOS app that will allow you to bookmark segments of audio files and reduce playback speed whilst preserving pitch. The controls also make it easy to repeat loops many times.

Like Audacity, AnyTune is intended for music applications, but it might do enough for you. There’s a free version you can try to see if it suits your needs. I’ve used it for some time to help transcribe difficult passages of music. I find it very reliable and the pitch preservation is good. I’ve used it for the odd clip of language audio that I found unintelligible and it worked well.

If you do find an iOS app that is designed specifically for this language purpose, I’d be very grateful if you posted here about it.

Try SPEATER. It is an IOS app for the iphone, and there is a lite version for you to try.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”