Skype Lessons - Tips for Best Workout with Native Speaker?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
learningchayse
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Re: Skype Lessons - Tips for Best Workout with Native Speaker?

Postby learningchayse » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:11 am

issemiyaki wrote:Any ideas for how to get the most out of your Skype lessons with a native speaker?

Here's the situation. I'm already a highly fluent Spanish speaker, but I need to improve my Spanish even more.

During my last Skype lesson, we agreed that I would read up on the Syrian refugee crisis in Europe, and then we would talk about it.

But during the lesson, the teacher ended up talking more than me (which I don't always mind, because comprehension skills are pivotal). But the three or four times when I was able to chime in, over the course of the hour-long lesson, I didn't feel like I was using any of the new vocabulary that I had learned from the wonderful articles I had read in Spanish.

When I did get the chance to speak, I felt like I was using a lot of the same standard phrases I always use. I wanted to be pushed to use other grammatical structures.

So, any recommendations for conversation exercises for advanced students, something that would really give my Spanish a deep workout?

Try other teachers if you think your teacher does not have a basic sense of student-centered approach, especially when it comes to one-on-one conversational practice.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”