ANKI: How does your Anki use vary at different levels

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

does your Anki use differ according to level (beginner, intermediate, or advanced)

yes, I mostly use Anki at beginner level
30%
yes, I mostly use Anki at advanced level
9%
yes, content varies (vocabulary, phrases, grammar)
22%
yes, beginner levels use both directions, for intermediate or advanced only L2->L1 or L2->definitions
2%
yes, the number of reviews and new cards varies - higher for beginner
20%
yes, the number of reviews and new cards varies - higher for advanced
2%
no, I always use Anki the same way
15%

Total votes: 46

Arnav
White Belt
Languages: EN (Native)

Re: ANKI: How does your Anki use vary at different levels

Postby Arnav » Sun May 17, 2020 3:20 pm

I don't use anki past intermediate (though I should). I can easily export my LWT-clone vocab into Anki to study with but... I find that once I hit 90% or higher words known per book (as calculated by the reading tool) I don't really see any benefit from it. Yes, the words are low frequency and I could benefit from them... but they aren't words I come in to contact with in my day to day life. Literary words and flowery language, or technical terms. I may try anki-ing these and seeing if I get any gains.

When I start a language, I do what I call "lazy anki". I have anki set up to play the audio (if there) and after the audio times flip and then after 5 seconds it auto passes the card as "good". I treat it sort of like Glossika (but not outrageously expensive) GSR system for the workin' man :lol: . Right now I am doing Chinese and Norwegian this way (with only sentence input). For my more advanced language that I mostly do the ol' comprehensible input method in... I may try something different. I will report back.
1 x
Philippine Languages group chat: https://discord.gg/dfCEkZB

Mostly using LWT and lazy Anki...

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Mon May 18, 2020 4:41 pm

dicentra8 wrote:Aside from practising vocabulary, the one thing I also enjoyed doing with Anki is "audio decks" to practise listening. I used this mostly when I was doing Minna no Nihongo because there was a lot of audio. My cards for that were mostly small sentences where I had trouble picking certain strings of sounds at the front, the back would be the transcript just to check.

Arnav wrote: I have anki set up to play the audio (if there) and after the audio times flip and then after 5 seconds it auto passes the card as "good". I treat it sort of like Glossika (but not outrageously expensive) GSR system for the workin' man :lol: . Right now I am doing Chinese and Norwegian this way (with only sentence input). .

I am doing this as well for listening practice. I set up the front card to repeat a sentence five times and the written sentence on the back. The back also repeats the sentence ten times if I want to chorus that sentence or if the sentence has a really difficult part that needs relistening to.

It's sort of like Glossika but glossika repeats only twice and you are supposed to shadow. For me, it was impossible to settle into a rhythm in shadowing so I setup anki to do something similar with more reps (i can always stop the sound early if I feel comfortable with the sound).

I can feel quite a lot of improvement in listening skills as my cards are of native speakers who don't speak that clearly - slur or miss words.

I have two future strategies with anki (hope I can get there) for different skills

1 - translation L1>L2. create cards for L1>L2 - add in hints like give easy parts of the sentence in L2 and I fill in the blanks.

2 - Active recall of vocab. create cards with a single vocabulary - then work with a language partner who has access to the deck. I can't see the card. They keep asking me questions to make me try to speak that vocab in a sentence.

I think the good thing about Anki is you can adapt it to practice different skills. The bugger is the time learning how to set up the Notes and cards.
1 x

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Wed May 20, 2020 8:56 am

Arnav wrote:When I start a language, I do what I call "lazy anki". I have anki set up to play the audio (if there) and after the audio times flip and then after 5 seconds it auto passes the card as "good". I treat it sort of like Glossika (but not outrageously expensive) GSR system for the workin' man :lol: . .

Forgot to ask.

How do you set this up the auto pass function within anki?
1 x

Arnav
White Belt
Languages: EN (Native)

Postby Arnav » Wed May 20, 2020 3:13 pm

Flickserve wrote:
Arnav wrote:When I start a language, I do what I call "lazy anki". I have anki set up to play the audio (if there) and after the audio times flip and then after 5 seconds it auto passes the card as "good". I treat it sort of like Glossika (but not outrageously expensive) GSR system for the workin' man :lol: . .

Forgot to ask.

How do you set this up the auto pass function within anki?

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/631932779

Use this addon. Depending on the size of your average card you may need to hit shift + j/d/f to give yourself more or less time.
1 x
Philippine Languages group chat: https://discord.gg/dfCEkZB

Mostly using LWT and lazy Anki...

vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Postby vegantraveller » Wed May 20, 2020 5:20 pm

I use Anki at all levels, always bidirectionally. This may be a little bit time-consuming, but it's important to me to be as eloquent as possible since I need all my intermediate and advanced languages for business.
I only put in whole sentences, as I found it's the best way to learn words and collocations (nothing new here!). I tried, many years ago, when I was not really acquainted with the flashcard method, to write down words only, but it didn't help much to retain difficult or more abstract vocabulary.
3 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”