Why do you write a language log here?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
teapot
White Belt
Languages: British English (N), Italian (Principiante)

Why do you write a language log here?

Postby teapot » Mon May 11, 2020 2:32 pm

I’ve posted the question here because I felt that it might pollute the Language logs subforum. :D

I did search before posting, but couldn’t find many answers. Please don’t shoot me down in flames if this is an FAQ.

I have learned quite a bit from reading some of your logs, especially those written when the author was a beginner like me.

I’m grateful to be able to read them, but what do you get out of writing one? Does it help you in some way, or are you trying to give something back?
2 x

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Re: Why do you write a language log here?

Postby Cenwalh » Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm

My main reasons are that I like to see what I've done, and I like to see how far I've come. By posting about a particular struggle I'm having, I can look back in a month or two or five and see if I've overcome it.

Also when I started my first log, I had found it hard to find any meaningful information about how much doing what type of study gives what results. I thought I'd present my first log in such a way that someone could do the same things as me from the same level and know what results to expect. I doubt anyone will faithfully follow my path, but at least they can compare it to there's and see the difference.

It's for that reason that I had a 'resources' post with every resource I'd used. I think beginners are completely bombarded with resources and don't know how many to use or when, so they could see what someone who has come out the other side used. Not that I've 'come out the other side' of learning quite yet...
7 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon May 11, 2020 3:15 pm

I've written about it in my log before, but it's definitely not to help out other learners. I've admitted previously and I'll do it again that I have no learning method other than really brute forcing it, listening to ungodly amounts of YT videos, wasting time on FB, Twitter etc. I use my log to put down things that I think are interesting, the majority of which have to do with language policy and occasionally poetry and music. It is very much my personal blog. If anyone wants to learn the same languages as I learn, there's nothing in my log they can't learn by themselves and probably more efficiently.
7 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Mon May 11, 2020 3:28 pm

Reasons for keeping a log:
(i) Keeping a log keep myself motivated as suggested by Luca Lampariello
(ii) Write down how I work my way through a language, and see what works for me and what doesn't. So when I embark on another journey, I can avoid these mistakes.
(iii) Keep a writing habit
Reasons for keeping a log here:
(iv) There will be friendly reminders from other fellows here. Their advice are really useful in helping me adjusting my approach.
(v) Sometimes when I discover something helpful, I would like to share here just in case someone may find it helpful
9 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 pm

teapot wrote:....what do you get out of writing one? Does it help you in some way, or are you trying to give something back?

Your question got me thinking, why do I keep a log? Or even why do I continue to be somewhat active on this forum? I do not use my log to keep track of my study time or progress. My log is very much an exercise in improvisation, I write whenever I feel like it and whatever I feel like writing. Sometimes I mention books I’ve read or music I’ve discovered, at other times I give brief summaries of foreign travels or I just comment on my progress (or lack thereof) in my language studies. In the past I used to write more in languages other than English, and if I stop being lazy ;) I will probably return to that practice, following the great example of Iversen.

I guess I keep a log because ever since I joined HTLAL and then moved here, I have felt that this forum is sort of a “virtual hangout” where I meet people with the same passion for languages as I have, and keeping a log, even if updated at irregular intervals, makes me stay in contact with people I care about (even if I have never met them and don’t even know their real names).

I don’t know if I give something back or not. I think I have “bonded” with a few people on the forum who seem to enjoy what I write, just as I enjoy their logs. As humans we like to communicate, and as a language nerd I don’t find that many people in my physical surroundings who share the same passion. The log gives an opportunity to show a little bit of yourself as a person, your interests, hobbies (apart from languages) and your daily life, something you can’t do in a general discussion thread.
14 x
Ich grolle nicht

slowmoon
Orange Belt
Languages: EN (N), DE (Int.)

Postby slowmoon » Mon May 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Accountability. I announced my plan to read 3,000,000 words in German and share the results. People are interested. I don't want to let them down.
6 x

devilyoudont
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), EO (C), JA (B), ES (A)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16424

Postby devilyoudont » Mon May 11, 2020 4:27 pm

In no order:

- Knowing that I will need to put something in my log provides some level of motivation even when I am depressed
- Keeping a log allows me to prove to myself that I have made progress (I can check back and see what kind of stuff I was struggling with 2 years ago)
- Noting things down in the log helps me re-find resources when I want to use them again, or when someone asks me for help with their own study
- Stating publicly what my plans are creates some need in me to at least attempt to follow thru with it.
- Browsing other logs creates a kind of artificial social circle for me... Seeing that the logs which I'm following are updating and making progress in turn spurs me to study... and in turn spurs me to update (even tho I'm not sure who follows my log lol)
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon May 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Accountability and seeing how much I've done. That was the most important reason a few years ago, and I hope to get back to this style in the summer. Right now, the log is mostly a place for assorted experience, bits of excitement or rants, and a way to keep in touch with people. Right now, some of my favourite loggers are not around much, but we even kept a sort of a "network", where we were accidentally carrying the discussion over three or four different logs at times :-D
3 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Mon May 11, 2020 4:50 pm

My reasons are pretty much in line with Ogrim's response. Self-language learning, by definition, is a solitary affair. Most of us don't talk about our language-learning activities with our families and friends. Being human, we seem to need an outlet to do that and that's what we have here. Also, it's a way to share resources with others who may be learning the languages you are writing about and it's a way of "giving back". I gained a lot of my language-learning knowledge and not a small share of inspiration in this way, going back to the HTLAL forum.

Back when new learners used to come to the forum to ask about the basics of learning a language, I always advised them to read others' logs (even if they weren't studying their language) and write one themselves. Reading others' logs can give tips to a learner and show them how others go through the process- resources; time spent; frustrations; successes; inspiration; commiseration. I wasn't learning Japanese or French, but reading arekkusu's Japanese log and emk's French log was quite useful and inspiring to me in general. These days, for better or worse, most of the discussion about language-learning takes place in the logs section.

Writing one's own log, especially as a beginner, can provide near real-time help when needed, if the log writer is open to it. Sometimes, people may come across something that may interest me that I might not be aware of, then post it in my log. A member doesn't have to have a log here to be a useful and inspiring member- smallwhite, for example, is a respected and helpful member who doesn't write a log. There are good reasons to write a log and also good reasons not to do so.
12 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Mon May 11, 2020 4:53 pm

I started my log to practice my English writing but that's never been the main purpose for me to keep the log. Mostly I use it to organize my thoughts, and also to stay motivated.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”