Why do you write a language log here?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Tomas
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (low intermediate), Italian (lower intermediate) French (terrible!)

Re: Why do you write a language log here?

Postby Tomas » Fri May 22, 2020 2:21 am

I just started my log and to my amazement, people actually read it! That, in itself, was very motivating. It made me feel connected.
As others have observed, I don't have access to other language nerds in my daily life. I live in a largely monolingual environment where the majority of people don't seem to understand just how rewarding and intellectually stimulating it can be to explore another culture through language, so I really appreciate this community. People here get it.

As self-directed learners, I see us as a group of mad scientists, each trying out new formulas and theories, and each with the option of reporting our results to our peers. My log is an invitation to step into my laboratory and have a look at what I'm cooking up in my beakers. If anyone can make use of something they find in my log, they are welcome to it, just as I will be trying out resources and concepts I find in theirs. This exchange is, for me, a very enjoyable aspect of language learning.
9 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”