Ridiculous Prices for Out-Of-Print Materials?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: Ridiculous Prices for Out-Of-Print Materials?

Postby tommus » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:09 pm

aokoye wrote:I really think you should look at the way you worded your original reply to me (the correction).

In the interest of clarity, I will do just as you ask, looking carefully at each of my sentences.

>>>>> Thank you for increasing my vocabulary by one.

That was a sincere thank you because, as I said, I did not know the word "segue". Apparently you took it as snarky. It was not meant to be. I repeat: it was not at all meant to be anything but a genuine thank you.

>>>>> I know that a segway is a recently-invented two-wheeled vehicle.

Fact.

>>>>> I did not know it was also a "smooth transition from one topic to another".

Fact.

>>>>> However, despite a lot of differences of opinion throughout the Internet, it appears that it should be spelled 'segue" for the latter meaning.

Fact.

If you can point out the terribly insensitive statements and the bad tone in that post that I should not have made and used, I will be much more careful with my future posts.
5 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:17 pm

Can't we just agree that it wasn't very polite to point out a misspelling like that, but that it isn't the end of the world if one misspells a word even in one's L1? You guys are creating a problem where none exists.

Also, it would be nice to go on with the thread. If you persist on discussing the correct spelling, etymology and socio-linguistics of "segue" vs. "segway", why not do it by PM?
3 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 pm

Josquin wrote:Can't we just agree that it wasn't very polite to point out a misspelling like that, but that it isn't the end of the world if one misspells a word even in one's L1? You guys are creating a problem where none exists.

Also, it would be nice to go on with the thread. If you persist on discussing the correct spelling, etymology and socio-linguistics of "segue" vs. "segway", why not do it by PM?

I'm ok with all of this.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:03 pm

... let us segue back to out of print books ... :lol:
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)

Postby aokoye » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:10 pm

zenmonkey wrote:... let us segue back to out of print books ... :lol:

;) :arrow:
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby aokoye » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:00 am

I don't remember if I already posted this anecdote (because it's been nearly a year), but I have seen out of print books that wouldn't be classified as rare books sell for upwards of $300. In that case it was a knitting book that was, and probably still is, in high demand (one of Alice Starmore's books) and there was a major fiber arts conference in town that attracted people from across the US and around the world really. I had seen the book at Powells the week before and noted the price and the next week it was gone.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”