Ridiculous Prices for Out-Of-Print Materials?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Speakeasy

Ridiculous Prices for Out-Of-Print Materials?

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:23 pm

I am somewhat a collector of out-of-print language courses. Over the past few years, I have noticed that the some smaller booksellers, who offer their wares on Amazon and AbeBooks, quote truly “ridiculous” prices for highly sought after out-of-print courses; for example, Living Language Ultimate or previous editions of the Assimil courses. When I say “ridiculous” I am referring to prices exceeding 2,000 $US. I would image that many of you have noticed this as well. My assumption is that no one in their right mind would actually place an order at these prices. So then, my question is “What does it serve the seller to quote prices that will not result in firm orders?” Can anyone comment on this phenomenon?
2 x

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Re: Ridiculous Prices for Out-Of-Print Materials?

Postby Theodisce » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:46 pm

Most people won't pay that much, but there is still a chance that some day they will get the customer they are aiming at. People are willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for old prints that have been scientifically outdated for centuries (like a mid-18th century French history of Sweden), perhaps booksellers have noticed that the old language courses are attracting real collectors in a similar way. It will probably take years before such a book can be sold at the price set by the bookseller. But when it's sold, does it not justify storing it for all those years?

Plus, some people may become attracted by such an extraordinary price. Sine it costs 2000 USD, it must be THE language course.

I'm myself an avid book collector. But I haven't paid for a single book more than 25 USD for ages and probably won't do it in the future. Some people will.
7 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:19 am

Theodisce, thank you, the logic of your argument is irrefutable!
0 x

Aozu
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (B 0.5)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1275

Postby Aozu » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:24 am

Somewhere in the back of my mind is a suspicion that it is robots running amok on Amazon. Some program notices the book is out of print, raises its price, and then another storefront robot sees that and raises their price, then another, then the first one again, etc.

I have no idea if this is accurate, or even possible, but the thought amuses me...
8 x
: 8 / 24 Musty Old DeFrancis

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:25 am

I agree, it's an issue of people thinking that there might be that one person who is willing to buy the book for an extremely exorbitant price. Of course this isn't at all unique to language primers. I have seen people buy knitting books that are out of print and well over $375. I think this is kind of just an issue you face as a collector of out of print books of any type.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

Aozu wrote:Somewhere in the back of my mind is a suspicion that it is robots running amok on Amazon. Some program notices the book is out of print, raises its price, and then another storefront robot sees that and raises their price, then another, then the first one again, etc.

I have no idea if this is accurate, or even possible, but the thought amuses me...

Oh it is possible! Amazon retailers are increasingly using algorithmic pricing - See more at: http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=358
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:44 pm

I'm surprised when the opposite occurs: when language courses (or any other item) are selling for hundreds or thousands of dollars but a merchant offers it on eBay for next to nothing. I would have thought the first thing a merchant would do before setting a price is look at the competition. I purchased the Berlitz Think & Talk Russian course-book with cassettes for about AUD$45 late last year, when all the other copies on Amazon, Abebooks and eBay at that time were about USD$700+.
Last edited by n_j_f on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Postby Polyclod » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:42 pm

I personally wouldn't buy anything off of Amazon anyway (aside from my Kindle reader), but I was shocked to see a brand new edition of Assimil Russian for like $180. I bought mine new for like $40...I feel bad for whatever sap is paying so much, they could get it direct from Assimil for less! And it's not even out of print!!!
2 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:50 pm

Adam Smith's Invisible Hand
When Random House ceased publishing their highly-regarded Living Language Ultimate series, it was not long before the existing stocks disappeared and the quoted prices for used copies on Amazon and AbeBooks began to rise, then rise again rather sharply. Also, as a die-hard fan of the Assimil method, whenever I choose a new language, I always attempt to acquire two distinct generations of their courses, and I have noticed a somewhat similar raising of prices for the older editions, although to a much lesser extent, whenever newer editions are released. To my mind, this activity lends support to Theodisce's explanation.

Isaac Asimov's Machines Have Taken Over
Then again, Aozu's speculation of a robot gone mad and Rdearman's contribution of an article that discusses this phenomenon give credence to the notion that the machines have taken control, despite Isaac Asimov's rules governing their behaviour. In addition, when I opened this fanciful discussion thread, I failed to remark that "ridiculous prices" extends in the other direction. That is, I am sure that many of you have noticed prices of 0.01 $US for used language courses! As a concrete example, yesterday, after have made my initial post above, I used the "Contact the Seller" function on Amazon to send the following (partial) message: "I cannot believe for one instant that your quoted price of 999 Pounds Sterling is serious. Rather, you must be just trying to get my attention. So then, now that you have my attention, my COUNTER-OFFER is for 150 $US for the package (book and 4 cds) PLUS shipping charges." to which I received the following reply: "Thank you for bringing this to my attention. We will get this corrected as quickly as possible. This is either a pricing error or a "place-holder price" in effect. In either case, the listing will be updated with the correct price or removed as necessary."

The Invisible Hand Is Controlling the Machines
Not being a "conspiracy theorist" myself, I would not be surprised if someone were to circulate the rumour that the savvy booksellers, that Theodisce alluded to, have contracted with very capable hackers to develop and deploy Malware on Amazon for the express purpose of playing with the prices of their competitors, thereby making their own ridiculous prices seem reasonable ... I dunno man, I'm jus' sayin'!
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:46 pm

I'd also like to point out a link to Goodwill Books. Goodwill is a US charity organization and sells mostly used/donated items. The great thing about used language-learning material is that it's hardly ever actually used very much at all and sells in generally good condition! Some of the larger charities in the UK also have online outlets, Goodwill has a "Foreign language Study" section with a lot of very good deals on used books and some with audio. It's worth a look.

I, too, have no qualms about asking for a better specific price from a seller. An email costs nothing but time and sometimes I've been able to score a book for a decent price. Ultimately, I don't believe enough in any book or course so much that I must have it or need to pay an exorbitant price for it. There's almost always another way to get what you need from something else or to get something equivalent to what you need.

Edit: Link fixed
Last edited by iguanamon on Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”