LWT, Docker, and Ubuntu 19.10

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

LWT, Docker, and Ubuntu 19.10

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:15 pm

FWIW, pursuant to installing Docker, I installed a "stable" version of Ubuntu 19.10 over the latest (truly stable) version of Linux Mate 19.x on two Linux boxes that I owned. In each case Ubuntu was completely unable to establish an Ethernet connection to an existing and definitely working router. I re-installed Linux Mate on one of those machines, and now Linux Mate cannot establish an Ethernet connection where previously it could.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: LWT, Docker, and Ubuntu 19.10

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:58 am

OK, I'm going to assume this is a sort of practical assistance type question, so I moved it from the resources area. Personally I use Linux Mint Cinnamon. But I suspect that your problem is going to be related to the changes to the way most Linux distros have moved to the (almost universally hated) systemd. You'll probably need to check with the "ip" command what your interface looks like. WIthout seeing any logs I couldn't help you and to be honest you'll get better support on stackexchange.

If you mean that the docker instance cannot see the network card?
  • By default, containers run in their own network namespaces, with their own IP addresses.
  • docker run -p 5000:5000 will forward from all interfaces in the main network namespace (or more accurately, the one where the Docker daemon is running) to the external IP in the container.
  • You therefore need to listen on the external IP inside the container, and the easiest way to do that is by listening on all interfaces: 0.0.0.0.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:11 am

This doubled as a practical assistance question and as a warning to others who might try this. I have not yet got Docker set up.
I will follow up your advice related to systemd. Before I do that I am going to try Cinnamon and see what happens. I expect the problem will continue, but it's worth a shot. If it's still no go, I'll check with the ip command as you suggest.

FWIW, I intended to try Docker with Windows 10, but Docker requires the Pro version. I've got the Home edition.

I'll report back if and when I achieve success.

Thanks very much for your response and suggestion.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:30 pm

rdearman wrote:OK, I'm going to assume this is a sort of practical assistance type question, so I moved it from the resources area. Personally I use Linux Mint Cinnamon. But I suspect that your problem is going to be related to the changes to the way most Linux distros have moved to the (almost universally hated) systemd. You'll probably need to check with the "ip" command what your interface looks like. WIthout seeing any logs I couldn't help you and to be honest you'll get better support on stackexchange.
]

For the sake of closure, I want to say that the connection problem I was having was a hardware issue with the modem: the LAN port had failed, simple as that. So nothing to do with the software at all.
I have had to lay aside Docker for the time being.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”