Glossika opinion YOURS

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Glossika opinion YOURS

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:32 pm

Hello everyone
I've tried out glossika today after which I searched the forum and found different opinions on it, one thread regarding errors "everyone is a writter" these days. I couldn't grasp if it refered to the elder physical copies or the online app they've created.
I would like to know your opinion about it. Personally I like not having to create audio and double cross check every phrase with a native speaker before putting it into anki. But if what theyr're teaching is all wrong then it is throwing money out the window?
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Re: Glossika opinion YOURS

Postby Longinus » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:45 pm

Well, I think it depends on which language you are interested in. For something like Spanish, French, German, or Russian, there are too many other good resources to make it worth the expense. But Glossika has a ton of less-commonly learned languages. If you want to learn Latvian, Estonian, Mongolian, Sorani, etc., then it's a great resource. The emphasis is on colloquial speech, which is also great for something like Finnish or Persian, where there's a big difference between the written and spoken language.

As for the errors, there are some, the frequency of which depend on the language. But they are not so severe that it causes problems. Most any textbook you buy will have a few errors too.

So, am I a fan of Glossika? I have mixed feelings about it. I don't generally like the "new" Glossika, although they have cleaned up and customized some of the sentences compared to the old method. I just don't like being tied to the computer. But ... like I said, having a few thousand sentences and translations in a "smaller" language can be extremely useful. Plus, it caters to my disease of skipping around and learning a bunch of languages not very well, instead of focusing on one at a time like I should!
7 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:18 am

Thank you for the reply.
I was mainly looking into German, Japanese and Italian. I like the easy access to all of them and that the "workload" of creating a card for every phrase is off my shoulders. But if it isn't worth it. I'll stick to Assimil, Anki and Japanese for dummies(I've come to like that one)
0 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

thevagrant88
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1) Japanese (FU)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =14564#top

Postby thevagrant88 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:00 pm

Ccaesar wrote:I was mainly looking into German, Japanese and Italian.

I don't have first hand experience, but it's my understanding that Glossika Japanese is particularly problematic. Seems there's an unnatural overusage of pronouns and some translation errors. You might be better off using something like Shadowing Let's Speak Japanese Beginner to Intermediate Edition for something similar.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”