Semi-dubbed movies

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Semi-dubbed movies

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Polyclod wrote:As someonewho wants to learn Russian, I can say initially I was frustrated because it seems like everything aside from children's cartoons is dubbed with basically a Russian speaker talking loudly over the original English track. I'm not sure why Russian dubbing is so awful, but hey that's a reason to get into natively produced materials ASAP!

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Although to be fair, I've never heard this kind of dubbing in a Russian cinema - there they show properly dubbed films. The kind of voice-overs you're talking about are mostly made for TV shows and movies shown on TV (sometimes films that had been shown in cinemas with a proper dub get redubbed for TV that way, in some cases without even changing the dub script - don't ask me why they do this).

As for the OP's question, while this isn't a movie, I recall having seen a couple of episodes of the anime Code Geass partially dubbed into English (actually just clips from a dubbed and a subbed video file spliced together alternately). The reason for making that was the fact the show features Japanese and Anglo-American characters on opposite sides of a war. While the overall linguistic situation is never explained in great detail (I think there are good reasons to believe that the global lingua franca in the show's universe is actually French instead of English), the characters are clearly not supposed to be all speaking the same language at all times, whether it's Japanese or English. Whoever created that spliced dub made it so that the characters speak their own languages among themselves and one of those two languages whenever characters of different nationalities would interact. Unfortunately I can't find the clips on YouTube any more. There's this relatively short clip on niconico, but it's not the same - the video quality is more consistent since its creator only spliced the audio tracks, but in this one the protagonist is monolingual in English, so there's much fewer Japanese dialogue.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”