Using reference books

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Using reference books

Postby sctroyenne » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:24 pm

So I have a thesaurus, this book - a sort of thesaurus with collocations: Le Robert - Dictionnaire des combinaisons des mots, a Bescherelle that includes a style guide, as well as regular dictionaries (and all the dictionaries online). I've never had a writing workflow that included regular use of reference materials for my native language (apart from some thesaurus abuse when I was an adolescent) but I thought I could stand to use some reference works to improve my expression and enhance my vocabulary in French. Any suggestions?
2 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Re: Using reference books

Postby pir » Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I am not at this stage in French yet (though I read thesauri for fun), but when I got there in other languages, I'd write whatever I was writing (daily diary entries are the most common), and then add an editing phase where I'd use the thesaurus to look up synonyms for words I overused, or for words that seemed a bit boring, less expressive than they could be, and rewrite the text. It's quite similar to editing for fiction, except I stop after one pass. I read it out loud several times so I hear the new words. I add any new words to Anki.

Since most of what I write tends to be affirmative and leans towards using familiar words, I also do occasional "opposite days", where I cast everything I write into its inverse meaning -- a good chance to look up antonyms.

Oh, and my eye roves, so looking up words in a thesaurus inevitably also leads to me adding a few extra flashcards to an Anki deck (I keep using flashcards even when I am advanced in a language because that's how I get to activating vocabulary -- I make up sentences when reviewing new words).
Last edited by pir on Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Sometimes I use a thesaurus to pep up my emails. The same thing could be done with posts to this forum, too, I suppose.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:26 pm

Bescherelle is excellent but it really isn't the best training tool alone, as it stands.

Either create your own grammar exercises, get some from the web, or get Grammaire Progressive du Francais with the exercises and use the Bescherelle as the "tutor" that explains the rules.

Use Anki or a create your own "cheat sheet" of rules. Percolate Bescherelle to the essential as if you were going to explain it to someone.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”