Language learning in a pandemic world

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Language learning in a pandemic world

Postby Cavesa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:56 pm

You don't lack anything online, Saim, but many do. And I don't think it is any problem, if the companies are using this to create brand loyalty, as Cainntear says (which is without any doubt true). Especially the senior citizens in many countries are not using the internet at all or not much. And the tv is a really bad choice these days. So, if the "hey, it's freeeeee!!!!" advertisement hits them and gets them reading more, watching other content, and getting any other input than the catastrophic tv news 24/7, it will be a wonderful change. And many poorer not senior people too.

I'm afraid the screen time is the lesser evil nowadays. And it can be active too. Fitness videos are a great example.
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:00 pm

Cavesa wrote:And I don't think it is any problem, if the companies are using this to create brand loyalty, as Cainntear says (which is without any doubt true).

That’s certainly a legitimate political view. I’ll just say that I deeply disagree with it because I have a different ideological framework. I’ll have to leave it at that because we can’t discuss politics on this forum.

As for the rest of your post, I don’t think of the internet as a “lesser evil”, but as a great tool than can have disastrous mental health consequences if used in certain ways that are often actively promoted by certain applications. If free access to streaming services is getting more older people to do exercise then great, but I doubt that that’s what the net effect of more screen time will be. I guess we’ll have to see, but I expect to see more of a boom of depression and insomnia than a boom of pensioners learning Zumba online.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:54 pm

Saim wrote:
Cavesa wrote:And I don't think it is any problem, if the companies are using this to create brand loyalty, as Cainntear says (which is without any doubt true).

That’s certainly a legitimate political view. I’ll just say that I deeply disagree with it because I have a different ideological framework. I’ll have to leave it at that because we can’t discuss politics on this forum.

As for the rest of your post, I don’t think of the internet as a “lesser evil”, but as a great tool than can have disastrous mental health consequences if used in certain ways that are often actively promoted by certain applications. If free access to streaming services is getting more older people to do exercise then great, but I doubt that that’s what the net effect of more screen time will be. I guess we’ll have to see, but I expect to see more of a boom of depression and insomnia than a boom of pensioners learning Zumba online.

The exercises were just one example, not as something to be pursued by majority of our elderly, but as something to consider for people worried about being too sedentary during these weeks.

But if the older people end up watching movies and tv series instead of watching the news on tv all the time, it will be a huge improvement. As a psychiatrist, I do not underestimate the possible disastrous effect of the screens (especially on kids). But when I look at many older people (and not only them), I really think getting them "addicted" to a computer game or to binge watch a not terrifying tv series could seriously improve their quality of life. Especially these days. They are gonna watch something anyways, a streaming website is a much better option than most tv channels, which are filled with scary news. If these people happen to forget about all this for several hours a day, it will be only for the better.

No offence meant, but it is very easy to demonise the internet. Easy virtue points. But when you look at the real people, the real population in not favourable conditions, the screens can actually be a very positive thing. Not everybody has the luxury of being able to do different things even without the official confinement.

And yes, we expect a boom of depression and anxiety. But not due to the screen time.
3 x

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 am

Sure, I would agree that binging TV shows is substantially less awful than glueing yourself to 24-hour news.

It may be “easy”, but I haven’t demonised the internet and I never will.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:06 pm

Economically, I'm not sure it's not doing further harm.

Staying at home reduces opportunities for earnings to some, but not all, so these sorts of goods and services are things that some people would be willing and able to pay for. Small independent online companies (eg. independent games publishers, online language teachers etc) are now having to compete with free alternatives from large companies with substantial cash reserves.

So the crisis is harming physical-world businesses and the wave "me too" philanthropy risks online businesses.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:59 am

Cainntear wrote:

Economically, I'm not sure it's not doing further harm.

Staying at home reduces opportunities for earnings to some, but not all, so these sorts of goods and services are things that some people would be willing and able to pay for. Small independent online companies (eg. independent games publishers, online language teachers etc) are now having to compete with free alternatives from large companies with substantial cash reserves.

So the crisis is harming physical-world businesses and the wave "me too" philanthropy risks online businesses.

You are so lucky to already live in the reality, where the big and small players compete online in most areas. But a large part of the population doesn't. They still live in the internet vs. tv battle. And for that, all the "free" stuff is awesome.

How are online langauge teachers at a disadvatange? :-D They are still the logical choice for people normally prefering the mainstream (=presential classes), and those are still extremely numerous, in many countries the majority. If the teacher isn't incompetent, they can work as much as they want. It just requires a bit of effort, creating a good and not generic profile, etc. Really, the online language teachers are the last people that should complain in our times. :-D They have tons of arguments to fight against any more massive less person based approach, they have tons of platforms for finding their students. They are extremely priviledged. If they struggle, it is just their incompetence (either in teaching, or in marketing, or other skills important for success). Perhaps it is time to consider a heretic thought, that language teaching requires some intelligence and skills that many people simply don't have. So, they should perhaps consider finding a different job after the crisis. It is so sad that so many objectively stupid people go into language teaching, just because the entry requirements are very low these days, perhaps some weeding out will help. Being a teacher should be a prestigious profession only for the competent individuals.

And the same could be said about many other services. The small companies still have many advantages, they don't need to offer only free stuff. But they need to target the right public. Most supposedly new and revolutionary products related to language learning are just rip offs of existing stuff, or start ups by people who know how to make an app but nothing about language learning. If these products disappear and the people do something better suited to their abilities, no harm done.

It is as simple as that. If someone wants to whine instead, they should do a job their skills are sufficient for. If they still feel like whining, let them have a look at the people in healthcare, funerary services, or in agriculture. Those cannot work online.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:34 am

Ohh that escalated quickly.
I shared the links mostly because I definitely remember finding what I wanted on scribd, multiple times. I no longer remember what it was and I never bothered to sign up for their service. Also, just because you think something's cheap, doesn't mean it's cheap for everyone.

Anyway, please stay on track. This thread is about how the situation affects you and your learning (of course sharing the experiences of your friends/family is also allowed). It's not about how people should cope, especially if they haven't asked for your advice. And we don't have a rule against whining if a post isn't breaking other rules :)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:19 pm

As I have been retired from the workplace for over a decade, the pandemic has had no appreciable effect on my language-learning, other than providing me with a little more time: no more running of “short” errands which end up absorbing several hours of time, not to mention a good deal of my energy. So then, I continue to study as before. Of course, as for most of you, I’ve been following the latest developments. On that note, with a view to assisting students of French with their own studies …

Members having an intermediate reading ability in French might appreciate the following article: Une cellule de sortie de crise – LaPresse.ca. Essentially, Philipe Couillard, renowned physician, former Minister of Health, and former Prime Minister of Quebec, recommends that the government establish - now, not later - a crisis centre for dealing with the after-effects of the pandemic. In addition, putting aside the customary restraint which former leaders observe as to the performance of those who have taken their place, he expresses his unreserved support for the government’s quick response to the crisis. He added that many jurisdictions throughout the world would be quite pleased to have such a team in place. I share his views.
1 x

Saim
Blue Belt

Postby Saim » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 pm

Serpent wrote:Ohh that escalated quickly.
I shared the links mostly because I definitely remember finding what I wanted on scribd, multiple times.

Me too! It’s a great resource and I’m glad you shared it.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

quasimind
Languages: English (N), French (B1-2)

Postby quasimind » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:13 pm

Because now I am spending a lot more time at home I find it easier to sit down and have time & energy to relax and study.

Before, work and other life obligations took up all my time. Now, with everything shut down, it allows me to have a "me time" and just concentrate on my personal development (incl. language). With the economic downturn, it doesn't cost much either to just sit at home and read or listen.
1 x
Intermediate French Learner. :D :)
Flashcards for learning French

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”