Language learning in a pandemic world

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Language learning in a pandemic world

Postby Cavesa » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:01 pm

About the ibuprofen study (and not only ibuprofen, but this one is the most well known): you need to know that it is being interpreted in a certain context. The French recommendations have been moving away from this category of drugs in the symptomatic treatement of the infectious diseases in general, the recommended symptomatic treatement against fever and related symptomes is the paracetamol. There have been several studies, which showed hundreds of cases of severely worsened progress in illnesses caused by other pathogenes.

So, this study concerning the Covid19 might not seem as rigorous and relevant as what we demand normally, when we have more time to discuss a problem. The several cases in France might not seem sufficient in normal times. But it falls into a bigger picture. It is not some totally new information. The small study gives reason to a part of the educated public to believe, that the Covid reacts the same or perhaps even worse to these drugs than the other and more well known stuff. The hypothesis why (including the one described in the Chinese study that was primarily focused on the ACE2 effects on covid) looks plausible enough to be taken seriously here.

And no, it is not a case of "haha, the French minister probably sucks at English". Which was a typical Czech reaction to this on the internet (it is hypocrite from a czech to suggest this). But if I have to choose between trusting the French minister (an intelligent man and an MD) saying I should not take Ibuprofen, and trusting the Czech minister (a failed superstar participant with no relevant background) saying it is a hoax, it is a simple choice. I believe the Germans are just interpreting the key study differently due to different approach to the problematic, I am sure they have some good reasons. But it is worth noting that the French are among the very best in the world, when it comes to infectology.
3 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:00 pm

In German social networks there was obviously an additional voice message, that lead to those fake news warnings. And I assume for some good reason. (I haven't looked out for that one)

But thanks for the insight how the study looks like in the bigger picture (in France)! That is completely missing in all the articles I had seen.

It wouldn't be too hard to write something like "Already previously the drug has worsend the progress in some illnesses [link to a study]." At least that would be good journalism...but yeah...

Restrictions regarding different medicines is often depending on the country. I noticed that some years ago in the case of metamizole.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:11 pm

A couple of links that look interesting
https://observador.pt/2020/03/12/teve-s ... -covid-19/
https://ojo-publico.com/1662/lecciones- ... y-covid-19

Let's also share any (legal) free stuff that is made available to keep people indoors, especially if it's temporary.

Russian TV site has temporarily made subscription free https://premier.one
Juventus online channel is also available for free now
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks, Cavesa.
Cavesa wrote:There have been several studies, which showed hundreds of cases of severely worsened progress in illnesses caused by other pathogenes.

So, this study concerning the Covid19 might not seem as rigorous and relevant as what we demand normally, when we have more time to discuss a problem.

To summarise this point:
Quite simply they would not have identified any problem specific to ibuprofen + covid-19 if they weren't already anticipating it. No-one was just picking correlations out of the air.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:38 pm

from this morning
the WHO advises people suspected of being infected with the novel virus not to take the drug ibuprofen without medical advice.

https://www.merkur.de/welt/corona-ibupr ... 99213.html
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 pm

The last rumour of this kind suggests that the venerable old malaria drug Clorochine should have an effect on Corona. I did actually in check my drawers whether I still had a package around, but no - too long ago. The product became practically worthless against malaria years ago so travellers stopped buying it, but maybe there are some people who want to get their stocks cleared out ... or maybe it actually works. Time will tell whether this was another hoax.

And why mention this in a language forum? Well, I saw a reference in German on the text TV of NDR (Nordeutsche Rundfunk). But maybe I read too much for my own good.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:38 pm

There's a pretty interesting collection of Chinese anti-coronavirus posters here. These include the original text, a transliteration, and a translation (although I have no idea how accurate any of those are). A sample:

在家待着不要乱串,zài jiā dāi zhe bú yào luàn chuàn
空调 电视 wifi相伴 kōng diào diàn shì wifi xiàng bàn

Stay in and don’t wander around,
You have AC, television, and wifi as your friends

不聚餐是为了以后还能吃饭,bú jù cān shì wéi le yǐ hòu hái néng chī fàn
不串门是为了以后还有亲人 bú chuàn mén shì wéi le yǐ hòu hái yǒu qīn rén

Not gathering for a feast is so you can eat in the future,
Not visiting others is so you still have relatives in the future
7 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:17 pm

Scribd and audible offer stuff for free (ebooks and audiobooks)

https://www.scribd.com/readfree
https://stories.audible.com/start-listen
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:09 am

I honestly don’t get all the talk about free access to streaming sites and online libraries and stuff. I don’t lack books, TV shows and such to consume, the main thing to worry about is time management and limiting time spent in front of screens, especially for those of us who are now working from home and/or live alone and can only contact other people through screens.

In fact, having too much choice can make it more difficult to study. It’s quite exhausting to have to constantly be thinking about what materials to use. By all means if you find something good on one of these sites use it but really the important thing is avoiding getting overwhelmed or having your concentration levels destroyed from jumping between windows constantly.

In that sense I think meditating and exercising a bit and then going through a single book, or making the point of reading a single news site or something like that every day, is going to do much more for learning routines than running around looking for more and more streaming services.

(Edit: I’d just like to clarify that I’m not criticising anyone for posting links to these free services and resources, far from it. Let’s share any resources we find just like we would at any other time, that’s great.)
6 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:27 pm

Saim wrote:I honestly don’t get all the talk about free access to streaming sites and online libraries and stuff.

It's partly just a drive to create brand loyalty, I suspect. Get lots of people using your site now and thinking of you as generous and you'll not only generate goodwill, you'll also have a percentage who stay on the site once charges start in again.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”