Recommended Online Italian Courses

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Recommended Online Italian Courses

Postby Cavesa » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:30 pm

lavengro wrote:
Cavesa wrote: One of the biggest publishers of resources for Italian learners is Alma. They make various great grammar workbooks, and coursebooks.

https://www.almaedizioni.it/en/

Both of the two main providers of in-person Italian classes where I live use ALMA Edizioni's Nuovo Espresso course books for classes. They are better, secondo me, for use in instructor-led situations, but still pretty good for self-study as audio is available for a fair bit of the dialogues and other materials. Perhaps a little pricey in light of what is otherwise available for free online (like the excellent Italian Language and Culture beginner, intermediate and advanced courses materials (https://www.edx.org/learn/italian) available for free through EdX as mentioned in earlier posts, which presents explicit grammar instruction more systematically than in Nuovo Espresso).

ALMA Edizioni also has a collection of texts (short stories, etc.) with audio available which are really useful for learners, graded by level.

Alma also publishes grammar books. So, the Espresso is most probably not supposed to be that great for grammar, but supplemented by those. But Nuovo Espresso certainly comes with advantages over competitors, online supplements (audio that you don't have to copy from a stupid cd, wordlists sorted by unit, key to exercises). I'd say there are lots of advantages of this series even for a self teaching learner (and a non beginner doesn't need a bilingual coursebook).

Those grammar books are definitely worth a look.
1 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:16 pm

I self-studied Italian and reached C1 level. I agree OnlineItalianClub is a good resource, but it was not as deep as I really wanted to.

In my case, I prefered to use Italian Online, mainly for two reasons: First, it is well organized, and second, It reaches the very advanced level.
5 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
CardiffGiant wrote:… I am circling back to grammar topics and I am considering doing an online structured course, and I am overwhelmed with the number of options out there…
I agree the above comments (with the exception of the Michel Thomas course which, despite its many virtues, would be too elementary), and will “up the ante” by recommending the following:

Schaum's Outline of Italian Grammar published by McGraw-Hill. In addition to providing the usual information concerning the conjugation of verbs, and the proper use of adjectives, pronouns, prepositions, conjunctions, and other elements of grammar, this book includes many examples and a complete set of exercises, along with and an answer key. It is appropriate for the beginner or intermediate student. There is, however, no audio component.

Living Language Ultimate Italian (Advanced) course, published by Random House. Although out-of-print since circa 2012, copies can still be found on the internet. These courses are comprised of 20 lessons in which the L2’s grammar is reviewed through the device of situational dialogues which are also designed expand the student’s vocabulary (roughly 8 hours of recordings). The dialogues are recorded twice: once without pauses, once with pauses. Very good notes plus an English translation round out the course. A little dry, but quite effective.

100% agree with these two books. I used them both during my short-lived 6-month course in Italian and they aided me in getting a 2 in the Italian reading DLPT when I had no business scoring that high!
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

tolgylop
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (可), Spanish (bastante), German (fair), Japanese (learning), Italian (learning), French (dabbling), Taiwanese (dabbling)

Postby tolgylop » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

http://www.italiano.rai.it/ is a course for people immigrating to Italy. It has video lessons and supplementary material from A1 to B2. Everything is in Italian, but it's easy to follow and includes transcripts. Use the "IMPARIAMO L'ITALIANO" drop down menu to go to the level you want and choose the lesson. The videos run on Flash, so you will have to enable flash for the site to see the videos.

There was another course that I liked a lot, "Italiano in Famiglia", but it appears to be inactive now. Those lessons can still be found on youtube.
2 x

CardiffGiant
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian(B2), English (N), Spanish(beg)

Postby CardiffGiant » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:47 am

tolgylop wrote:I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but maybe it will help.

http://www.italiano.rai.it/ is a course for people immigrating to Italy. It has video lessons and supplementary material from A1 to B2. Everything is in Italian, but it's easy to follow and includes transcripts. Use the "IMPARIAMO L'ITALIANO" drop down menu to go to the level you want and choose the lesson. The videos run on Flash, so you will have to enable flash for the site to see the videos.

There was another course that I liked a lot, "Italiano in Famiglia", but it appears to be inactive now. Those lessons can still be found on youtube.

I will check this out. Thanks!
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”