Arabic Books + Audiobooks

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Socratic1
Languages: English (N), German (C1), Arabic (beginner)

Arabic Books + Audiobooks

Postby Socratic1 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:54 am

Hello! I'm new to the forum, and this is my first post. I'm happy to be here with all of you.

On Wednesday I have my last exam and then will begin learning Arabic. I'd love to find some audiobooks in Arabic. Ideally, I'd like to have the audiobook as well as a transcript of the text, and I'd prefer to own the mp3 of the audiobook, not just stream it via a subscription service. As I'm just getting started, children's books would be ideal. Thanks for the suggestions!
3 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Re: Arabic Books + Audiobooks

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:16 pm

Hey! Welcome to the forum!!

I haven't had much luck finding mp3s of Arabic audiobooks for purchase online aside from Harry Potter. I do use the Kitab Sawti subscription service, however, and enjoy using that. That said, I definitely understand the appeal of actually owning the content you're listening to.

Are you planning on learning MSA purely or will you be learning simultaneously with a dialect?

Lingualism makes great resources in MSA and some dialects. The audio is free through the website and you can buy the accompanying text. https://lingualism.com/product-category ... rd-arabic/ They've also just launched a community for Arabic language learners, which may be of some interest to you.

Arabic Stories for Language Learners by Hezi Brosh and Lufti Mansur also seems like it could be a good fit for you. The book comes with a CD recording of the stories.

Best of luck!
6 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:58 pm

Socratic1, I second Maiwenn’s warm welcome to the forum.

Now then, as to your study plan, if you haven’t already done so, you might wish to review the following threads:
Levantine Arabic Resources (Syrian, Jordanian, Palestinian and Lebanese dialects).
Study Group: Team Middle East

As to audio resources, the following websites offer practice sets or readers:

DLI GLOSS
These sets of graded exercise sets are downloadable and freely available.

NFLC Learning Portal
These sets of graded exercise sets are downloadable, but available subject to a small monthly fee.

Languages on the Web
These parallel text readers are downloadable and freely available.

LibriVox
These readers are downloadable and freely available.

Arabic Audio Books – amazon.com
The amazon.com search of “Arabic audio books” lists items for purchase which are, indeed, audio books but also includes courses, et cetera.

Good luck with your studies!
2 x

Socratic1

Postby Socratic1 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:40 pm

Thank you very Maiwenn and Speakeasy.

I will definitely check out those resources, Speakeasy, as well as the treads you posted. Thanks a lot!

Maiwenn, where did you find the Harry Potter audiobook? I'm a big fan, and used Harry Potter when learning German. I think it'll be some time before I can listen to it in Arabic, but when the time comes I'd be really happy to have it!
0 x

Maiwenn
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) & French
focusing on: MSA & Moroccan Arabic
backburner: German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7321

Postby Maiwenn » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Socratic1 wrote:Maiwenn, where did you find the Harry Potter audiobook? I'm a big fan, and used Harry Potter when learning German. I think it'll be some time before I can listen to it in Arabic, but when the time comes I'd be really happy to have it!

Sure thing! https://eur.shop.pottermore.com/collect ... oks/arabic
Pottermore has all 7 now. When buying the text, make sure that it is the newer translation with the same graphics as the audiobooks. There was an older (largely decried) translation that you'll want to avoid if you're buying the print book. Obviously, if you don't buy the same translation, the text will not match the audio.
1 x
SC reading: 3819 / 10000 AR
SC reading: 3334 / 5000 FR
SC reading: 65 / 2500 DE :?

Corrections are always welcome. :)

Socratic1

Postby Socratic1 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:33 am

Awesome, thank you so much! I will definitely use those when my Arabic is up for the task. Until then I will look into Kitab Sawti for children's books and Arabic Stories for Language Learners.
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:56 am

Socratic1 wrote:Ideally, I'd like to have the audiobook as well as a transcript of the text, and I'd prefer to own the mp3 of the audiobook, not just stream it via a subscription service. As I'm just getting started, children's books would be ideal. Thanks for the suggestions!
If your library offers OverDrive, you can access many Arabic audiobooks. (Not all books might be available at your library, though.)
Unfortunately, most children's books come without transcripts, but since the narrators are excellent, you shouldn't need them.
Once you understand more Arabic, you could read and listen to the Arabic Harry Potter books and international bestsellers such as The Martian by Andy Weir or The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”