French -> English Dictionaries for Android?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

French -> English Dictionaries for Android?

Postby bedtime » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:39 pm

I'm looking for an offline (I'll settle for online if it meets all other criteria), French -> English dictionary for Android that has an abundance of senses and examples as well as some decent functionality, such as searching within definitions, a bookmarking system, and voice. Conjugating, would be a bonus. That said, I've tried dozens of dictionaries and have found only two that barely suffice. I'm really hoping that there is something better out there. I don't mind paying if the app is better than what I have.

Many dictionaries seem to be able to do everything I'd like but don't have all the senses I come across:

In the book martine en avion there is the phrase: Tout en bas, la terre déroule son tapis de forêts, de moissons, de prairies.

The emboldened phrase—Tout en bas—is what I'm looking for. Yes, from looking at it you may be able to decipher that 'bas' means low and 'tout' means all, so it could be all the way down, but I find that my brain doesn't want to store the info unless I am absolutely sure it's correct. None of the dictionaries had this phrase except The Oxford Hachette French Dictionary, which translated it as, 'tout en bas' as right at the bottom. That's good enough for me. The issue is that this dictionary is devoid of functionality; you cannot search within definitions, so when you look up a word, you have to manually scroll through pages and pages of senses to find what you're looking for. And it has no voice feature to pronounce the word, which is very important for learning a language. Nonetheless, it at least it has what I'm looking for, so I use it most often.

The next best dictionary that I is Barron's French-English Dictionary. It is full of functionality, can search within definitions, has amazing auto-conjugation and conjugation charts (extremely thorough, covering all tenses), and voice but doesn't have as many senses and phrases) as the Oxford dictionary above. It didn't have the above phrase. There are so many definition senses that Barron's didn't have, and considering that it was the second most complete one I've found, it is not very encouraging. I can say that the layout on both dictionaries mentioned is top-notch and very easy to navigate—many apps just seem to throw all the definitions into one giant glob of text, leaving you to pick out the needle from the haystack.

Another phrase is, Le pilote s’installe aux commandes. None of the dictionaries have this phrase under either installer or commande, so the translation is a guess at best. Google translates it as The pilot takes control, and that's acceptable but I wish it was in there.

I've come across so many phrases and word combos that are not readily apparent, and the above are probably not the best examples.

I'm considering an monolingual French dictionary as well if anyone has any suggestions.
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: French -> Englsh Dictionaries for Android?

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:10 pm

Regrettably, I cannot recommend any French-English dictionaries. Nevertheless and for whatever it’s worth, it seems to me that the two examples which you provided illustrate idiomatic usage with which native-speakers or near-native-speakers would be so familiar that they would understand the intended meaning without really thinking about it. I would be surprised if “tout en bas” and “s’installer aux commandes (or anywhere else)” would crop up in a typical language course. So then, congratulations on your advancing level of French! While I realize that this is of little help to you at this stage in your studies, I suspect that greater exposure to native materials will solve these types of problems. By the way, “s’installer” (without referring to a dictionary) might be interpreted as “settling in/into”; thus, in this example, the pilot is settling into the controls of the aircraft. I’m sure that someone will be along shortly with a practical suggestion for you. Bon courage et bonne chance avec vos recherches! ;)
1 x

bedtime
Orange Belt

Postby bedtime » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:00 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Regrettably, I cannot recommend any French-English dictionaries. Nevertheless and for whatever it’s worth, it seems to me that the two examples which you provided illustrate idiomatic usage with which native-speakers or near-native-speakers would be so familiar that they would understand the intended meaning without really thinking about it. I would be surprised if “tout en bas” and “s’installer aux commandes (or anywhere else)” would crop up in a typical language course. So then, congratulations on your advancing level of French! While I realize that this is of little help to you at this stage in your studies, I suspect that greater exposure to native materials will solve these types of problems. By the way, “s’installer” (without referring to a dictionary) might be interpreted as “settling in/into”; thus, in this example, the pilot is settling into the controls of the aircraft. I’m sure that someone will be along shortly with a practical suggestion for you. Bon courage et bonne chance avec vos recherches! ;)

Thank you. This clears up a things a little. I think I was lucky that Oxford has a lot of idiomatic definitions built in.

I downloaded another half dozen or more dictionaries and found WordReference, an online dictionary, to be quite thorough.

Also, the Barron's French-English Dictionary is supposed to have pronunciation for each word as I mentioned above. I looked up cote and côte individually. Both have different IPAs and definitions, but when spoken, they sound is exactly the same for both in that app. In another dictionary app there was a difference between the two. So much for using that app for pronunciation. :roll:
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:26 pm

bedtime wrote: ... I looked up cote and côte individually. Both have different IPAs and definitions, but when spoken, they sound is exactly the same for both in that app. In another dictionary app there was a difference between the two. So much for using that app for pronunciation. :roll:
Yes, the two letters “o” and “ô” should be pronounced differently as should certain words wherein “ai” appears, not to mention a gillion others. Nevertheless, native speakers of all languages are constantly breaking the rules, thereby confusing foreign language learners. The worst part of it all is that they insist that they don’t have accents; goodness knows, we sure don’t. ;)
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Re: French -> English Dictionaries for Android?

Postby reineke » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:31 pm

Reverso Context

Décollage pour une nouvelle mission au-dessus du Pacifique... Steve, l'officier dirigeant l'opération, s'installe aux commandes, à côté d'Andrew, le second pilote.

Takeoff for a mission over the Pacific Steve, the lead officer on this operation, takes the controls, alongside Andrew, his co-pilot.

Le pilote s'installe... could also refer to software driver installations.

"Tour end bad" - autocorrect for French tout en bas - plenty of examples for all the way down
1 x

bedtime
Orange Belt

Postby bedtime » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:01 pm

reineke wrote:Reverso Context

Décollage pour une nouvelle mission au-dessus du Pacifique... Steve, l'officier dirigeant l'opération, s'installe aux commandes, à côté d'Andrew, le second pilote.

Takeoff for a mission over the Pacific Steve, the lead officer on this operation, takes the controls, alongside Andrew, his co-pilot.

Le pilote s'installe... could also refer to software driver installations.

"Tour end bad" - autocorrect for French tout en bas - plenty of examples for all the way down

Fantastic app! Thank you!

It seems to have all the phrases I've entered so far, and it has so many examples in English and French for each (sometimes seemingly endless). It can also save a sense as a bookmark, so you don't have to search within bookmarks for the proper term. Very handy. Will be using this. :)
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:18 pm

reineke wrote:...Le pilote s'installe... could also refer to software driver installations...
Hmm, I'm not sure about this. It seems to me that "s'installe" is a reflexive verb (the pilot installs himself at the controls). Were the pilot to install a software driver (something exterior to himself), a non-reflexive verb would be required (installer). Meiner Meinung nach (in my opinion).
0 x

bedtime
Orange Belt

Postby bedtime » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
reineke wrote:...Le pilote s'installe... could also refer to software driver installations...
Hmm, I'm not sure about this. It seems to me that "s'installe" is a reflexive verb (the pilot installs himself at the controls). Were the pilot to install a software driver (something exterior to himself), a non-reflexive verb would be required (installer). Meiner Meinung nach (in my opinion).

Yes, the quote above that reineke put would not fit into the context of my book:

pilote = a pilote, in the sense of context with boats and planes
pilote = a driver, in the sense of a computer

... but it does make sense and seem accurate in its own sense as a computer driver can install itself.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:06 pm

bedtime wrote: ... but it does make sense and seem accurate in its own sense as a computer driver can install itself.
Pistols at dawn! You can, should you feel the need, bring along a Second. ;)
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”