Anything like kwiziq for german?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Anything like kwiziq for german?

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:38 pm

I'm a language re-learner, rather than learning from scratch. As such, I think I'm not a good fit for Duolingo, Babel, Rosetta Stone, etc. I want to be able to get through the basics fast, I don't really need to work much on pronunciation, I already have a fair bit of vocab (and prefer anki for that), I don't like a whole lot of pictures and images and decorative foo-fa. What I need is grammar drills. I'm looking at lingolia but not sure it's enough.

For spanish, I love kwiziq but it doesn't offer german. studyspanish.com was helpful too. Are there language platforms for german, that focus on grammar and provide lots of drills?
1 x

Speakeasy

Re: Anything like kwiziq for german?

Postby Speakeasy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:07 pm

I am not at all familiar with kwiziq.

Nevertheless, as you have expressed an interest in a programme offering lots of drills, you might wish to consider Dr. Brians Languages. This is an ongoing project (which is perhaps presentably on hold) the goal of which is to update the FSI German Basic and FSI French Basic courses of the 1960’s. As you are probably aware, the FSI Basic courses are freely available via the Yojik.eu website. If you were to begin with Dr. Brians’ updated files and wished to continue, you would have to switch to the original FSI German basic course.

You might also wish to consider the Glossika German files. However, the latter are not a course of study as such; rather, they are sets of drills for low-intermediate students.

In addition, while the DLI G.L.O.S.S German and the NFLC German files are not necessarily drill intensive, they do represent a fine collection of practice sets.

Finally, perhaps there is something amongst the German resources which might suit your fancy.
3 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Thank you! I tried glossika (interestingly their placement put me me at B2 which goes to show how weak these online ratings are... I have high listening comprehension in german but next to no grammar skills). The exercise there was producing typed sentences based on listening which is useful... but first I need to recover all those article declensions and other grammar basics.

The german resources include https://www.deutschakademie.de/online-deutschkurs/ which might be what I need - at least it's exposing the weaknesses.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:07 pm

Unfortunately, Kwiziq doesn't seem to be planning other languages anytime soon. I'd love that too.

I don't think any of the things mentioned in this thread so far are that great for relearning, or similar to Kwiziq at all. Have you considered getting a book like Klipp und Klar or any other of the grammar workbooks by Hueber, Klett, or another German publisher? You are not a real beginner, so monolingual resources should be ok. Such books are great for reviewing, for adapting your pace to how much do you remember about each feature of the language
0 x

verdastelo
Orange Belt
Languages: Punjabi (N), Hindi-Urdu (near-native), English (C1+), Russian (B1+), French (A2+), Chinese (A1+), Kannada (A0+)

Postby verdastelo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:06 am

You might want to check out Routledge's Basic German: A Grammar and Workbook and Intermediate German: A Grammar and Workbook. Routledge has an entire series. I have used their Basic Russian: A Grammar and Workbook and have only good things to say about it, other than the fact that they don't use знак ударения or an acute accent to mark stress.

You might as well want to check out German Quickly: A Grammar for Reading German if you intend to solely read in German. I have seen the book. In the preface, the author says the book is for students who want to be quickly able to read German for research. I plan to use it when I will learn German.

Finally, there is Deutsche Welle's Deutsch - warum nicht?. The course is free and seems to cover much grammar. I haven't personally tried the course, but it looks promising.
2 x
The life of man is but a succession of vain hopes and groundless fears. — Monte(s)quieu

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”