Les 500 exercises de Phonetique

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:39 pm

I would like to improve my french pronunciation.
Have any one used Les 500 exercises de Phonetique.
It is in 2 vol, A1/A2 and B1/B2.
Any comments? Worthy?
Last edited by lusan on Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

joecleland
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (A1/A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p147718

Re: Improving french pronunciation

Postby joecleland » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:47 pm

following :shock:
0 x
    Complete
  • Pimsleur French 1
  • Fluent Forever 625 Word List
  • Assimil NFWE - 77/113 Lessons (68%)
  • iTalki Conversations - 26 Hours

Currently Using
    Lingoda Level A1 - 100 hours
  • A1.1 - 45/50 Hours Complete (90%)
  • A1.2 - 7/50 Hours Complete (14%)

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:02 pm

Amazon Customer Reviews

A total of 9 reviews of which 8 rated the product 4 or 5 stars, of which the most descriptive were as follows:
NYer in 2014: 5 Stars wrote:The Best French Pronunciation Guide I’ve Ever Used. I owned an earlier version of this, "350 Exercices". That program has been updated, split between the A1/A2 and B1/B2 books and the exercises are now on CD, instead of tape cassette, which makes the sound files easier to play and to use on different devices. This is simply the best French pronunciation guide I've ever used. It starts with the basics, the alphabet, and moves on to vowels, consonants, liaisons, enchainements, articulation, intonation, and rhythm. The drills are varied and involve sound and beat identification, repetition, and transcription. Normal and informal register speech are covered, as is the French International Phonetic Alphabet. The Hachette site has some downloadable excerpts if you'd like to sample the program. Whether you are a complete beginner or a more experienced speaker seeking to refine your accent this book and CD will be tremendously helpful.
Steven in 2011: 5 Stars wrote:Super! This is a great resource both to the student of the French language and to the person that uses the language who is not a native speaker. For me it has been great for learning the correct sounds and rhythms of pronunciation as well as way to learn to understand the language when someone is speaking to me. The voices speaking on the CD are both male and female and it is easy to identify with either paragon. I look forward to utilizing this resource as I prepare for my next travel to Europe.
avignon in 2019 : 5 stars wrote:Fun exercises in pronunciation and discriminating sounds that are similar. All spoken word is by a French native. It makes use of the International Phonetic Alphabet, which everyone studying languages should be acquainted with. Each lesson includes a short dictation at the end. All answers to exercises are in the back of the book. Sound files can be downloaded from the internet and stored on your phone or computer. A1/A2 is for beginners. If you are intermediate level, I would recommend B1/B2.

PS: I suggest changing the title of this thread to “Les 500 exercises de Phonetique”
2 x

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Les 500 exercises de Phonetique
Amazon Customer Reviews

Thanks. I read those. However, I want to know if anyone around here have used them, before I commit myself to 1000 exercises which might take me several months! After all, FSI has a phonetique course, too.

Speakeasy wrote:PS: I suggest changing the title of this thread to “Les 500 exercises de Phonetique”

No problem but I do not know how to do it. Maybe an administrator can do it.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:57 pm

lusan wrote: No problem but I do not know how to do it. Maybe an administrator can do it.
You can do this [change the title] yourself. Simply return to your original post and click on the EDIT function (the pencil-shaped icon). You will have to be logged on for this.
Edit and other functions.JPG

This will open your post in the Edit Function. From there, you can change the title and/or the text.
lusan wrote: Thanks. I read those…
Yes, I am not surprised by this. Nevertheless, as you asked for opinions on these materials, I decided to post the more descriptive Amazon Customer Reviews “for the record” thereby saving anyone who might read this thread the onerous task of chasing down the products on Amazon (as individuals) and reading the reviews. This was my “customer service” moment of the day. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:09 pm

I am currently working through the A1/A2 volume and am finding it very useful. The mp3 CD provided more audio material than any other coursebook I have encountered. The exercises are well thought out. There is a progressive element to the exercises if you want to work through the course from start to finish, or you could just as easily pick out sections to focus on specific sounds. On the whole I would recommend it.
6 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 am

gsbod wrote:I am currently working through the A1/A2 volume and am finding it very useful. The mp3 CD provided more audio material than any other coursebook I have encountered. The exercises are well thought out. There is a progressive element to the exercises if you want to work through the course from start to finish, or you could just as easily pick out sections to focus on specific sounds. On the whole I would recommend it.

I just gave a big sigh. A big, "oh great another book that I'm going to want to buy" sigh :lol: :roll:
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”