Question about Chinese text and Hong Kong

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Question about Chinese text and Hong Kong

Postby tomgosse » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

I was reading the Polyglot forum on Facebook and someone posted this picture from a Chinese text. The translation is supposed to be:

Sīhuá said, “Because I have black eyes, black hair, and yellow skin, therefore I am Chinese”.
Guóqiáng said, “I write Chinese characters and Chinese language.”
Jiáxīn said, “My father and mother are Chinese. I am definitely Chinese.”
Zìlóng said, “I was born in Hong Kong. Hong Kong is a part of China. Therefore, I am Chinese.
The teacher smiled and nodded, “Everyone said it very well. We are all Chinese.”

Now the post said that this has been going around on social media in Hong Kong and that it made a lot of people mad. No one over there has been able to explain to me clearly why it would. From what I can guess it has something to do with who can claim to be Chinese. There may be an issue of cultural appropriation involved. If anyone can enlighten me I would be most thankful.

All the best,
Tom
we are all chinese.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

彥::Charles
White Belt
Languages: -
中文/Mandarin (native)
English
Language Log: http://www.italki.com/pointsdotsandlines

Re: Question about Chinese text and Hong Kong

Postby 彥::Charles » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:53 am

The background:
In 2012, the Hong Kong government proposed a Moral and National Education school curriculum. Opponents viewed it as “a form of brainwashing” and, thus, were against the plan. There was (at least) one large-scale demonstration.

The plan was supposed to be implemented this year and elementary school students were supposed to use the newly published textbook. (Note: I’m not certain on this one). That’s why people in Hong Kong ridicule the generalization made in this textbook. For example,
“Because I have black eyes, black hair and yellow, therefore I am Chinese”
People in other Asian countries share the similar facial/physical features. Are they “Chinese” too?

“My father and mother are Chinese. I am definitely Chinese”
What about those who were born abroad (e.g. the U.S.) to Chinese parents?

“I was born in HK. HK is a part of China. Therefore, I’m Chinese”
Especially this one. In general, Hong Kong locals would rather not to be identified as 中国人 (Chinese nationals/citizens; the term used in the textbook). They prefer to be viewed/called as “香港人” (Hong Konger)

That's why there have been this contraversy ;-)

###

PS: If the reply has veered into the boundary of politics (I can’t find that specific guideline) and the administrator/moderators see the need to remove it, I’m OK with that:)
7 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Question about Chinese text and Hong Kong

Postby tomgosse » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:06 pm

Thank you for your reply Charles. If I understand you correctly, it is less about who can claim to be Chinese, but rather who is being told they are Chinese.

I don't think this post ventures too far into the area of politics. I believe that you cannot study a language with out studying the culture in all its aspects. And that would include studying about who is, or is not accepted into that culture. I ran into this when I was studying Irish some years ago.
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”