Learning with subtitled movies

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Re: Learning with subtitled movies

Postby Gordafarin2 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:48 pm

golyplot wrote:
joecleland wrote:As a side note, I would consider myself an upper beginner but watching Dix Pour Cent (Call My Agent) took about 1 hour to get through 10-15 mins of the show.

I can't understand the mentality behind this. Watching TV is about going with the flow and having fun. If you want to spend ages agonizing over every sentence, read a book! As it is, you seem to be getting the worst of both worlds.

You wouldn't pause after every sentence when watching TV in your native language, would you?

I agree with you to a certain extent. I've been watching a Mandarin series with dual subtitles, and I load the episodes into Subs2SRS afterwards for more intensive study - after I've already enjoyed the story and characters.

I get the pleasure of watching TV first, then I get the bonus emotional connection to my flashcards which keeps me wanting to study them.
3 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:10 pm

Wow, this is a little bit overwhelming but in a GOOD way! ;)

What a treasure trove of information! :P

dgc1970 wrote:https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/

I learned about this extension from this forum. I think this extension might have been developed by a forum member but I'm not 100% sure.

This looks great, but I'd rather not have to spend any money if I don't have to.

These here also play two subtitles : Lingoplayer allows you to slowly advance the subtitle lines for study. With SMPlayer you can adapt colour, position and size of subtitles to your liking.
https://oaprograms.github.io/lingo-player/
https://www.smplayer.info/

If you take YouTube clips or films that have subtitles here:
http://www.lilsubs.com/
it will give you also the second language subtitles machine-translated in an srt file(doesn't always work for all kinds of subtitles)

I run Linux, so SMplayer would be an option. I'll give it a go and let you know. I'm also liking the site that rips the subs from YouTube—very nice! In Linux, youtube-dl can do this, for anyone who run that OS.

If you want TL subtitles, your best bet is to look at native French productions and look for options with [CC] by the subtitle options. That indicates that the subtitles will likely be accurate. For example, Call My Agent is a great French show on Netflix with accurate subtitles available. But I definitely wouldn't recommend it for beginners. Unfortunately, the shows most likely to have accurate subtitles are also the hardest for beginners to understand...

Thanks. I'll be checking. Seems that the content that is natively French is the best way to go.

It's a web-extension and in my opinion it works awesome. I currently use it an hour a day watching a show of my choice. You mentioned Frozen (and if you enjoy the film I apologize for what I am about to say). I am a 30 year old man with no kids. At the present time a movie like this doesn't interest me in the least bit. For this reason only, I would suggest choosing a movie/series that you would enjoy watching in your native tongue. Again, if Frozen is it...watch that! I mention because passively watching and actively watching (to learn) are two different things. So enjoying the film is important - IMO.

I love Frozen—I'd not consider watching and learning from it if I didn't. The nice thing about that movie is that it has songs as well to mix things up.

What I do is turn on auto-pause. After every line spoken it pauses the film. You can play it at 75%-125% speed or replay as many times as you need. Each word will be in target language and native language for the dual subtitles you've inquired about. Those words can be highlighted to save for future instances where the word populates it will later appear highlighted if repeated in the show. Once you have the word learned you can un-highlight. Also, each of the words that come up in the titles you can click and the definition will populate in your target language. You can also just watch the movie/series without stopping just like you would on TV.

As a side note, I would consider myself an upper beginner but watching Dix Pour Cent (Call My Agent) took about 1 hour to get through 10-15 mins of the show. I discussed the show with my tutor and he said that the time will decrease more and more with the more input you get. I only note to not be discouraged if you feel like this takes forever. I have been learning using Standard French and found that trying to watch Marseille (South of France) was rather tricky as I wasn't used to the accent on the show. So I wanted an accent I was used to hearing. If you find something better let me know!

Bonne Chance!

Merci beaucoup!

After hearing yet another person mentioning this resource, I am starting to consider buying it. This really does sound like a dream setup, and I do LOVE movies! :P

How does the translation work? Does it grab from the movies' built in captioning and then use Google or some other source to translate it back to English? Or does it generally have both languages professionally subbed and use them?

I can't understand the mentality behind this. Watching TV is about going with the flow and having fun. If you want to spend ages agonizing over every sentence, read a book! As it is, you seem to be getting the worst of both worlds.

You wouldn't pause after every sentence when watching TV in your native language, would you?

You have a point. That's why I make sure to view content that uses beginner/intermediate French. Also, I want to immerse myself in the language, so that includes reading only in French and watching TV only in French. As for reading a book being easier, the Netflix program that was suggested takes all that hassle away, as you never need to look any words up. Plus, you can hear the voice, which will help with pronunciation. And with the built in vocab lists, it's quite a great sounding learning tool, IMO.

In any event, if it feels like a chore, which is what you might've been getting at, I wouldn't do it. First time actually does feel like a chore, but I can watch the movie again and again, and it gets easier.

Documentaries are shows where the speech isn't rushed. One of the first TV series I watched was Enquêtes archaeologiques on Arte, a 30 minute history documentary series. Le dessous des cartes is a weekly 15 minute current affairs programme that I still watch, that might be good for a beginner, you get french subs with that one on the arte.tv website.

Very good point! And one could learn something whilst watching it! Maybe a documentary on French history such a Neapolitan! :P Also, I like the idea of short 15-30 minute, bite-sized, documentaries for this type of thing.

You might also want to consider radio, that tends to be clearly spoken, standard french. One of the first radio programmes I remember understanding was Une Vie, une oeuvre about Tolkien, I knew enough about his life to know guess what the programme was trying to say, even where I lacked the french vocabulary: Tolkien, CS Lewis, Dashiell Hammett, Leonardo de Vinci, Jane Austen.

The most important factor is going to be your interest in the subject matter, your brain won't try very hard to understand something you find boring.

I'm just not there yet with being able to understand French through audio alone and still enjoy it, but perhaps in a few months, this would be a great thing to listen to before bed!

There is tons of interesting material if you take into account the channels you can receive via satellite in Europe, most are subtitled.
It's is also relatively easy to create a second subtitle file - a translation into your mother tongue - with DeepL.
1. Extract the subtitles of your film as an srt file
2. Take the text of the file with the time-stamps to DeepL and have it translated
3. The time-stamps remain intact and you get the second srt file with the translation
4. You could also write your own comments (grammar, conjugations, word families etc ) into the second file ... instead of translations

Problems:
DeepL offers only a limited amount of text translation, you would have to repeat the translation procedure many times for a complete feature film.
DeepL translations are not flawless.

This would be great for those movies that one really wants translated, though I can't say I'd look forward to having to cute and paste bits of an .srt file several times to do the task.
1 x

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Postby Lianne » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't watch French content with English subtitles. I used to, sometimes, when I needed them to know what was going on; but I don't think I would ever do that again. If there are English subtitles up, I'm reading them instead of listening. I watch lots of foreign shows on Netflix with English subs and I'm certainly not picking up any language from that.

What I do is use the French subtitles, only where they match the audio (in other words, pretty much just on native content). When I watch dubbed stuff, I just go without subtitles.

Peppa Pig is a good starting place; it's one of the few things I can understand almost every word of, despite my poor listening skills. Shows that you're already very familiar with in English are also a good way to go. I've been working my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel for a couple years now, with the French dubbing. I also watch a lot of my favourite movies with the French audio on. Since I already know the dialogue so well in English, it's easy to follow along in French.
3 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

bedtime
Orange Belt

Postby bedtime » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:29 pm

Lianne wrote:I don't watch French content with English subtitles. I used to, sometimes, when I needed them to know what was going on; but I don't think I would ever do that again. If there are English subtitles up, I'm reading them instead of listening. I watch lots of foreign shows on Netflix with English subs and I'm certainly not picking up any language from that.

I find the subtitles take the majority of my attention as well.

Peppa Pig is a good starting place; it's one of the few things I can understand almost every word of, despite my poor listening skills. Shows that you're already very familiar with in English are also a good way to go. I've been working my way through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel for a couple years now, with the French dubbing. I also watch a lot of my favourite movies with the French audio on. Since I already know the dialogue so well in English, it's easy to follow along in French.

I'll give the Peppa Pig show a try. I had actually watched a little of it several weeks ago, but my French wasn't nearly at the level it's at now, so maybe there is hope.

I took the French subtitles and threw them into https://www.deepl.com/translator. Like you said Kraut, it can take a lot of cutting and pasting to get the entire movie translated. I think it took me about 10-15 minutes per movie. I then took the French and (New) English subtitles and threw them into an online merger.

Here was the result:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:04 am

Yeah, subtitles are very attention grabbing. They're basically impossible to ignore unless your understanding of the audio language is much better than your understanding of the subtitle language, and even then, it's still annoying having them on the screen. In fact, I'll generally refuse to watch something if I can't turn off the subtitles (assuming I can understand the dialog otherwise).
0 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native language)
Languages I have or currently am studying in order of proficiency:
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Postby Sedge » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:22 am

I regularly had movies in German with English subtitles as part of my German curriculum, but honestly, my preference for reading is so strong (I watch with subtitles even in English, given the choice) that if I'm trying to learn new vocabulary it's more worthwhile to watch with English speech and non-English subtitles. Otherwise I tune out the sound and just read. If I'm trying to pick up speech patterns, probably ought to watch it a few times with subtitles or English speech and then just listen in the L2 language.

I haven't spent much time or energy yet seeking out different options, though.
0 x

bedtime
Orange Belt

Postby bedtime » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 am

golyplot wrote:Yeah, subtitles are very attention grabbing. They're basically impossible to ignore unless your understanding of the audio language is much better than your understanding of the subtitle language, and even then, it's still annoying having them on the screen. In fact, I'll generally refuse to watch something if I can't turn off the subtitles (assuming I can understand the dialog otherwise).

If the video was in my native language, I'd much prefer no subtitles. The idea is to make it very easy to read the words. Once I have a strong grasp of the language, I can do without them.

I regularly had movies in German with English subtitles as part of my German curriculum, but honestly, my preference for reading is so strong (I watch with subtitles even in English, given the choice) that if I'm trying to learn new vocabulary it's more worthwhile to watch with English speech and non-English subtitles. Otherwise I tune out the sound and just read. If I'm trying to pick up speech patterns, probably ought to watch it a few times with subtitles or English speech and then just listen in the L2 language.

I haven't spent much time or energy yet seeking out different options, though.

I don't see much difference between reading from a book and reading from subtitles. I find having parallel English/French subs very convenient as I don't have to keep looking up words—it's all right there in front of me.

Been having a heck of a time finding French subs for French movies. I have over 30 French movies and have found French subs for about only a dozen of them. English subs are easy to get, but I really don't want to have to translate the English back to French as it would just be too far off the original. At the same time, some movies have French subtitles but not the French audio (Titanic 1997).

Then there are those movies that are 'stretched' in respect to time. Ugh. The .srt sub file cannot be synced with the movie as the time the subs are behind (or ahead) increases/deceases as the movies goes on.

*** EDIT ***

Fixed the out of sync subtitles with 'Gnome Subtitles' (Linux). You just need to give the program the starting and ending point of the first and last subtitle in the movie and it syncs the whole thing for you. Turned out perfect, and now I can watch Cleo from 5 to 7 with perfectly synced English and French subs!

Well, I'm off to enjoy the fruits of my labors now! :P
2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:25 am

dgc1970 wrote:https://languagelearningwithnetflix.com/

I learned about this extension from this forum. I think this extension might have been developed by a forum member but I'm not 100% sure.

This is excellent; thanks for posting it! I've dabbled with dual subtitles in the past but it was just too much of a hassle finding them (usually on dodgy sites like Opensubtitles) and matching them up that it didn't seem worth the effort. This extension "just works" and behaves sensibly out of the box.

Personally I feel that my current language levels are either too high or too low to get the most benefit from it, but even in more advanced ones being able to glance at translations of idioms etc. is handy. Pausing after every sentence in a beginner language doesn't sound much fun to me, but whatever works. Seems great for intermediate learners and once I get to that level in German I'll be all over it.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:37 pm

1 x

magsnus
Languages: Swedish (N), English (C2), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby magsnus » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I use a similar technique where I learn the words in the subtitle first via SRS and then watch then movie/tv-episode with target-language subtitles enabled (helps med understand the dialogue better, but if you are very proficient you could probably do without).
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”