Learning with subtitled movies

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Learning with subtitled movies

Postby Kraut » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:17 pm

Here is a list with unscrambled French channels available via satellite, most are subtitled most of the day.

Eutelsat 5 West A (Atlantic Bird 3) 5 Grad West
http://de.satexpat.com/sat/west/5/

You need a 90cm-dish in Central Europe and a sat receiver with a tuner for multi-stream reception.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't have Netflix, so I can't try them, but I did find this app, which displays the subtitles of two different languages if you watch a Youtube video with captioning: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefox/addon/dualsub/

Sometimes I wish I had TV Kraut. :(

Having used DeepL to translate over 12 movies, it gave up on me yesterday. I'm thinking it was more due to the speed in which I was copy/pasting than with the amount. At one point it just came up with some error and refused to translate anymore; so, I used Google Translate for the remainder of the video. When using Google translate on .srt files, it will add an extra space between the insertion points and take out a hyphen '-->' to '->', so you must use your editor's find and replace command to fix it or the video won't work:

Orginal srt:
00:00:35,600 --> 00:00:37,143
Coupez, mademoiselle.

Translated .srt (with missing hyphen and added spaces):
00: 00: 35,600 -> 00: 00: 37,143
Cut it, miss.

Fixed translated .srt:
00:00:35,600 --> 00:00:37,143
Cut it, miss.

IMO, SMplayer is more stable and has more useful features for viewing such movies. I have it setup so that when I click the screen with the left mouse button, it plays/pauses; the right button rewinds (-2 secs); and the middle button goes forward (+2 secs). I'm not sure if there is a way to skip ahead or back to the next subtitle? If anyone knows, that would be great.

If it's okay, I've posted pics of three additional movies in the case that someone might be inspired to watch them. I've been watching Cleo from 5 to 7, and I find the camera work to be the among the best I've ever seen in any movie of its time. And Corinne Marchand was absolutely adorable!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm not sure if there is a way to skip ahead or back to the next subtitle? If anyone knows, that would be great.

Lingo Player can do this.
0 x

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:04 pm

bedtime wrote:
Kraut wrote:IMO, SMplayer is more stable and has more useful features for viewing such movies. I have it setup so that when I click the screen with the left mouse button, it plays/pauses; the right button rewinds (-2 secs); and the middle button goes forward (+2 secs). I'm not sure if there is a way to skip ahead or back to the next subtitle? If anyone knows, that would be great.

I recommend potplayer for that. it can also loop the previous line. it has so many functions and you can assign a shortcut to any of them and you can even make the shortcut global so that it works EVEN when potplayer is not the active window.
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:59 am

With Lingo Player you can also align the two texts next to each other.
2 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:37 am

golyplot wrote:I can't understand the mentality behind this. Watching TV is about going with the flow and having fun. If you want to spend ages agonizing over every sentence, read a book! As it is, you seem to be getting the worst of both worlds.

Aside from what others have said, there's also the fact that the language used in an audiovisual format is different from that used in books, even books written with lots of colloquial dialogue. This is perhaps most apparent with humor, where facial expressions, tone of voice, delivery speed, etc. change the entire scope of what is possible to say. I've found it helpful to analyze this language in addition to the language I find in texts.
6 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:10 pm

lichtrausch wrote:
golyplot wrote:I can't understand the mentality behind this. Watching TV is about going with the flow and having fun. If you want to spend ages agonizing over every sentence, read a book! As it is, you seem to be getting the worst of both worlds.

Aside from what others have said, there's also the fact that the language used in an audiovisual format is different from that used in books, even books written with lots of colloquial dialogue. This is perhaps most apparent with humor, where facial expressions, tone of voice, delivery speed, etc. change the entire scope of what is possible to say. I've found it helpful to analyze this language in addition to the language I find in texts.

This distinction, in French they talk about "code écrit" and "code parlé", is very important. In written French, for instance, you can see where a word begins and where it ends, which helps your understanding tremendously. In spoken French utterances are one long word, which makes extracting meaning very difficult.
3 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:47 am

Kraut wrote:Here are two more apps, I have not tried them

[...]

https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/subadub/

I've started using Subadub on Firefox and I can recommend it. Since it displays its subtitles in text form, it works great with the pop-up dictionary extension I already use. Plus, the SRT export option is extremely valuable.
2 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:00 pm

A couple of new things I've found. One is that DeepL has a tendency to double up in its English translations on expressions that are forceful or have exclamation marks, as so,

Regardez! -> Look, look, look, look!

https://www.deepl.com/translator#fr/en/Regardez!

Don't ask me why it does this, but it can take a long time to fix; especially if you have to edit a complete movie. If you just don't have the time, use Google Translate which doesn't do this.

You can play videos in YouTube in Firefox without having the subtitles jump up and down every time you pause or move your mouse on the screen. The popping up of the progress bar causes the subs to be moved as well. I know this doesn't seem like a big deal, but it can be quite distracting.

Here is the complete way to fix it:

Get the add-ons:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dualsub/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/tweaks-for-youtube/

Tweaks for YouTube, allows you to permanently show or hide the progress bar and fast-forward/rewind with the mouse wheel. It is self-explanatory.

As for dualsub, there is a small bit of doing required to make the subtitles stay put when the video is paused or played. No other app that I've tested will do this. Even apps that hide the progress bar will not help; the subtitles will still move up and down whenever the mouse is moved across the screen. The only way that I've found to correct this is by inserting some .css code into the dualsub app. This information can be found here: https://dualsub.netlify.com/setting?id=appearance, but I'll just show you how I customized mine:

1. Install the add-on dualsub.
2. Freshly open a new tab with YouTube.
3. You will see a little 'DS' icon. Beside it will be some selection boxes. You must choose two languages—the language that the movie is spoken in for the first, perhaps, and the language which the movie is spoken in and will be translated to. Take a look at the picture below to get an idea of what it should look like.
4. Click on the little blue 'DS' icon, which is near the video views.
5. Goto 'Appearance'. There should be an empty text input window.
6. Cut and paste this code:

Code: Select all

.captions-text {
    font-size: 24px !important;
}

.caption-visual-line:first-child .ytp-caption-segment {
    font-size: 36px !important;
}

.caption-visual-line:last-child .ytp-caption-segment {
    font-size: 18px !important;
}

.ytp-caption-window-bottom {
    margin-bottom: 30px !important;
}

The 24px is the space between the two different subtitles.
The 36px is the size of the top subtitle's font.
The 18px is the size of the bottoms subtitle's font.
The 30px is how close to the bottom of the screen you'd like the bottom subtitle.

The entering of that code only needs to be done once.

Knowing this, you can customize it yourself. Having customized it, the subtitles will no longer jerk up and down whenever the progress bar appears and disappears.

Here is a sample of what mine looks like:

(the movie link is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LqJM1P-Tr0&list=PL4qTXMCCZ6Nijct0i4JdgVxU4OT086lHm&index=4)
3 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Use TS Doctor to extract Teletext & DVB subtitles and create mkv video with more subtitle languages

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62uZmSbJGhg

"TS Doctor" can be used one month for free, you need it for TV films in HD. (As long as SD films are available, subtitles can be extracted with ProjectX for free)
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”