100-year-old pictures with Yiddish and Russian (need help!)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

100-year-old pictures with Yiddish and Russian (need help!)

Postby AML » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Hi all,
I have a few old family pictures with Russian and Yiddish written on the back. I'm having a hard time figuring out what they say. I would greatly appreciate any help from those of you with deep knowledge of Yiddish and/or Russian.

Ideally, you would do the following:
(1) Type out the original text (some of the original is hard to read, so a clean electronic version would be nice),
(2) Provide a translation into English.

I do have higher res versions of these scans, but I had to decrease their resolution in order to post them here. If you want the highest resolution versions, then PM me and we'll figure it out.

thanks so much for your help!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: 100-year-old pictures with Yiddish and Russian (need help!)

Postby Dragon27 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:22 pm

This seems to written in the old pre-reform (prerevolutionary) orthography?
On the first page:
Фотографія "Валери"
Черкассы

Фотографія means "Photograph" or, maybe,"Photo-studio". The letter "і" isn't a part of the modern Russian alphabet. "Валери" seems to be a name (of the photographic studio?).
Черкассы is a city in Ukraine (Cherkasy) and the Ukrainian alphabet kept the letter "і" till today.

It's hard to make out the writing at the last page, part of it has rotten away.
First line: Дара?? налюб?? - just guessing the letters, something with "dear" and "love"
Second line: ???ую памят? - something with "memory" (for memory's sake or something; or it can be some other word)
Third line: Карту фотографическую Бориску и .. - A photographic card, Boriska (a name) and… (all of it in the Accusative case)
Fourth line: Отъ Лизы и Сашули - From Lisa and Sashulya; "отъ" (from) seems to be written with the "ъ", as in the old orthography. Not sure about the name Sashulya (which is a diminutive for Sasha - Alexander/dra - can be either a male or a female name).
Fifth line: some kind of signature/name (Левит?)

Then the date:
1918 года (of year 1918)
3го дня іюля (3-rd day of July)

edit:
Google searching confirms that there existed an actual photostudio "Валери" in Cherkasy before the revolution. Don't know if it still exists.

edit2:
"photographic card" is my literal translation, it just means "photographic picture".
Last edited by Dragon27 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:19 pm

Dragon27 wrote:This seems to written in the old pre-reform (prerevolutionary) orthography?
On the first page:
Фотографія "Валери"
Черкассы

Фотографія means "Photograph" or, maybe,"Photo-studio". The letter "і" isn't a part of the modern Russian alphabet. "Валери" seems to be a name (of the photographic studio?).
Черкассы is a city in Ukraine (Cherkasy) and the Ukrainian alphabet kept the letter "і" till today.

It's hard to make out the writing at the last page, part of it has rotten away.
First line: Дара?? налюб?? - just guessing the letters, something with "dear" and "love"
Second line: ???ую памят? - something with "memory" (for memory's sake or something; or it can be some other word)
Third line: Карту фотографическую Бориску и .. - A photographic card, Boriska (a name) and… (all of it in the Accusative case)
Fourth line: Отъ Лизы и Сашули - From Lisa and Sashulya; "отъ" (from) seems to be written with the "ъ", as in the old orthography. Not sure about the name Sashulya (which is a diminutive for Sasha - Alexander/dra - can be either a male or a female name).
Fifth line: some kind of signature/name (Левит?)

Then the date:
1918 года (of year 1918)
3го дня іюля (3-rd day of July)

edit:
Google searching confirms that there existed an actual photostudio "Валери" in Cherkasy before the revolution. Don't know if it still exists.

Thanks so much. My grandfather and his family comes from Cherkasy, Ukraine, so that part makes sense.
Let me know if you'd like me to email high-res versions so that you can zoom in and see it better. If not, that's okay too.
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:34 pm

AML wrote:Thanks so much. My grandfather and his family comes from Cherkasy, Ukraine, so that part makes sense.
Let me know if you'd like me to email high-res versions so that you can zoom in and see it better. If not, that's okay too.

The main problem with the writing is the style of the handwriting itself (the penmanship) and the parts of the paper that have deteriorated over time. The resolution is well enough, I think.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”