Words acquisition: a lifelong problem

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Words acquisition: a lifelong problem

Postby Kraut » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:02 pm

TeoLanguages wrote:
iguanamon wrote:.

I mean, since I want to pass the C1 exam (Cambridge Advanced Exam to be precise) I feel like how I have to know every single new word I encounter in order to be well-prepared and since I want to pass it relatively soon (within 6 months) I think that maybe I'm putting too much pressure on myself, just because my plan could be overwhelming in the long run (maybe you read about it in the other section of the forum).

I think this course here
https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/cam ... lish-ielts
Inside IELTS: Preparing for the Test with the Experts
can answer some of your questions. It is by the Cambridge board and some of the people in the videos are Cambridge examiners. The course will be repeated but I don't know when.
3 x

TeoLanguages
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (C1)
French (B1)
German (A2)

Re: Words acquisition: a lifelong problem

Postby TeoLanguages » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 pm

iguanamon wrote:You're welcome! First, since you are trying for a formal C1 exam, there are no "advices" in English. If I advise you multiple times in one conversation, it is all just "advice". "Advice" is not plural in English (common error for Romance speakers learning English). You can also say "Thank you for advising me." Don't worry about not being satisfied about your language abilities. I'm still not satisfied with mine and probably never will be. Not being satisfied is part of language-learning ;) .

Some further advice, definitely drop "wanna" from your writing! The examiners will not like its use in formal writing. Concentrate on improving your English grammar. You can do this in many ways- by reading regularly, reading widely (even topics that you wouldn't ordinarily choose, an example would be a random wikipedia article of more than a couple of paragraphs in length- just keep clicking "random article" until a sufficiently lengthy one appears); do formal grammar study; use a monolingual dictionary with example sentences or a good bilingual dictionary that also has example sentences. Linguee is a decent, free online bilingual dictionary with plenty of example sentences (the examples start to lose relevance the further down the list you go). If you are unsure about whether or not a usage you are thinking about is grammatically correct, try googling the phrase or word in doubt.

You can also use an online spell-checker in many browsers. I use Firefox and it has many of my languages available for checking spelling. Of course, you won't be able to use a spell-checker in the exam, but using one as you write online will help train your spelling. Get copies of some practice exams and study them. There's a difference in being C1 and passing a test for it. Practicing the exam will help.

You can let people know here that you are available for a free language exchange. A language exchange can be done via email and/or chat/audio/video. You can advise people of your Language Exchange (LE) availability in your signature block- which you can edit in your forum profile. A tutor with exam experience can really help, but will be expensive. There are probably several learners of Italian here who would welcome a chance to practice Italian with a native. Again, vocabulary is important but it is not so much the amount of vocabulary you have that matters but how you use the vocabulary you have.

Thank you! I've bought some books to improve my grammar and some others containing practice exams in order to get used to the exam structure. Along with all that I planned to read and listen to A LOT of stuff and to start taking some classes with an online tutor. Hopefully it will be enough but I never took any exam like this so I don't really know and I will realize along the way if it's enough or not.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”