Acquiring Dubbed TV Series

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Acquiring Dubbed TV Series

Postby StringerBell » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:34 pm

The dubbed series I recommend on Netflix is That '70s Show, mainly because the episodes are 22 minutes long, and there are 200 episodes total (8 seasons). The Italian audio for this show is available in the U.S. so I expect it would be available in other countries, too.

There are lots of other series available with Italian dubbing on Netflix, but I can't think of another one that's in this kind of genre (a bunch of friends doing normal, every day stuff).

If you're not familiar with this show, you can try what I did, which is to watch an episode with Italian audio and English subtitles (to understand what everyone is saying) and then rewatch it in Italian without the subs.

Brun Ugle wrote:I tried looking up Friends and they had a box set of the whole series with audio in English and Italian and subtitles in both English and Italian.

Just something to keep in mind before you spend any money on Italian shows because you're looking for subtitles: for some reason, Italian subtitles don't seem to ever match the audio (it's possible it happens, but I've never been able to find an example of subtitles matching the audio). It doesn't matter if it's Netflix subtitles, TV/movies that are dubbed or originally in Italian, DVDs, streaming, etc... Apparently, in Italian the point of subtitles is to get an idea of what's going on, not to be able to understand word for word what a person is saying. Some lines are accurate, but I'd say that 30%-50% of the subtitles are completely different from what any given person is actually saying, which made them counterproductive for me.
1 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Jimmy Two Times
Languages: English (N), Italian (A2/B1)

Postby Jimmy Two Times » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:37 pm

StringerBell wrote:The dubbed series I recommend on Netflix is That '70s Show, mainly because the episodes are 22 minutes long, and there are 200 episodes total (8 seasons). The Italian audio for this show is available in the U.S. so I expect it would be available in other countries, too.

There are lots of other series available with Italian dubbing on Netflix, but I can't think of another one that's in this kind of genre (a bunch of friends doing normal, every day stuff).

If you're not familiar with this show, you can try what I did, which is to watch an episode with Italian audio and English subtitles (to understand what everyone is saying) and then rewatch it in Italian without the subs.

Brun Ugle wrote:I tried looking up Friends and they had a box set of the whole series with audio in English and Italian and subtitles in both English and Italian.

Just something to keep in mind before you spend any money on Italian shows because you're looking for subtitles: for some reason, Italian subtitles don't seem to ever match the audio (it's possible it happens, but I've never been able to find an example of subtitles matching the audio). It doesn't matter if it's Netflix subtitles, TV/movies that are dubbed or originally in Italian, DVDs, streaming, etc... Apparently, in Italian the point of subtitles is to get an idea of what's going on, not to be able to understand word for word what a person is saying. Some lines are accurate, but I'd say that 30%-50% of the subtitles are completely different from what any given person is actually saying, which made them counterproductive for me.

I don't currently have Netflix, I use amazon prime video. Prime video has an option to change the language, but the only option I have ever seen is English. Is Netflix known for having a wider range of languages available? I may need to consider signing up.
0 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:55 pm

I have Amazon Prime Video and I've also never been able to find audio in a language other than English. Maybe it's something they'll have in the future?

I do find that Netflix has much bigger selection of TV shows than Amazon Prime and it seems that all of the Netflix originals have audio available in Italian, French, Spanish, and a few other languages. Many of the other non-Netflix original shows and movies also have dubbing available, but you have to do a little investigating to see which languages are available for each show.

If you are looking to watch series dubbed in Italian, then I do recommend Netflix - the good thing is that when you sign up the first month is free, so you can test it out. If you can't find what you're looking for, you can cancel before they bill you and you won't have wasted any money.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

Jimmy Two Times

Postby Jimmy Two Times » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:34 pm

StringerBell wrote:I have Amazon Prime Video and I've also never been able to find audio in a language other than English. Maybe it's something they'll have in the future?

I do find that Netflix has much bigger selection of TV shows than Amazon Prime and it seems that all of the Netflix originals have audio available in Italian, French, Spanish, and a few other languages. Many of the other non-Netflix original shows and movies also have dubbing available, but you have to do a little investigating to see which languages are available for each show.

If you are looking to watch series dubbed in Italian, then I do recommend Netflix - the good thing is that when you sign up the first month is free, so you can test it out. If you can't find what you're looking for, you can cancel before they bill you and you won't have wasted any money.

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to sign up for Netflix!
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:05 pm

AmitS wrote:Anyways I would like to have there languages like Spanish, French, German, Italian as well.. If anyone knows how to add these (or in general) languages to my account, please let me know (preferably in a private message I believe for not spamming the OP thread with my issues)..
Thanks again!

Licensing does vary a lot by region, and Netflix is a lot less likely to bother licensing languages that aren't widely spoken in the target market. However, that shouldn't be an issue with shows Netflix produces itself. Netflix original cartoons are dubbed into every language under the sun and should be available worldwide in every language. I would be extremely surprised if you can't watch, say, Carmen Sandiego in Italian.

That being said, not all language options appear in the UI by default. The language switcher interface only shows 5 or 6 options, regardless of how many are actually available. Some languages don't even show up on the Audio & Subtitles page, despite being available. The secret trick is to change your profile language to the target language, at which point it will start showing up when available.

Here in the US, the popular languages (Spanish, French, German, etc.) showed up by default, but I had to change my profile language in order to get access to Dutch and Italian.

StringerBell wrote:Just something to keep in mind before you spend any money on Italian shows because you're looking for subtitles: for some reason, Italian subtitles don't seem to ever match the audio (it's possible it happens, but I've never been able to find an example of subtitles matching the audio). It doesn't matter if it's Netflix subtitles, TV/movies that are dubbed or originally in Italian, DVDs, streaming, etc... Apparently, in Italian the point of subtitles is to get an idea of what's going on, not to be able to understand word for word what a person is saying. Some lines are accurate, but I'd say that 30%-50% of the subtitles are completely different from what any given person is actually saying, which made them counterproductive for me.

That's not specific to Italian at all. Subtitles almost never match the dub in any language. However, they will usually match for the original language of the production. If you see [CC] by the side, that means the subtitles are almost certainly accurate. One example of a show on Netflix with accurate Italian subtitles is Maggie & Bianca: Fashion Friends.
4 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:38 pm

1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:03 pm

StringerBell wrote:The dubbed series I recommend on Netflix is That '70s Show, mainly because the episodes are 22 minutes long, and there are 200 episodes total (8 seasons). The Italian audio for this show is available in the U.S. so I expect it would be available in other countries, too.

I heartily second this suggestion. I took the suggestion a few months ago and used it quite successfully for French. When I say "quite successfully," I mean that after about 5 years worth of episodes, I could understand the episodes without the subtitles. (I had watched a couple of seasons of other shows before I began That '70s Show. Note that this exercise will NOT sufficiently prepare you for "real" TV programming. You will still have a ways to go before that. Member Cavesa has a very forceful and compelling post about this matter.
Others have commented on Netflix itself, but I shall refrain except to say that Netflix is the best there is IMHO and even necessary, but it is not at all top-notch.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Jimmy Two Times

Postby Jimmy Two Times » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:57 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:

I heartily second this suggestion. I took the suggestion a few months ago and used it quite successfully for French. When I say "quite successfully," I mean that after about 5 years worth of episodes, I could understand the episodes without the subtitles. (I had watched a couple of seasons of other shows before I began That '70s Show. Note that this exercise will NOT sufficiently prepare you for "real" TV programming. You will still have a ways to go before that. Member Cavesa has a very forceful and compelling post about this matter.
Others have commented on Netflix itself, but I shall refrain except to say that Netflix is the best there is IMHO and even necessary, but it is not at all top-notch.

I just got Netflix setup. I think I will start with this show. I watched it very briefly, but it seems like it will be way easier than the native content I was struggling with.

Can you expand on your post a bit? What do you mean by "real"? Original language? What do you mean by top-notch? Would you be able to link to Cavesa's post? I would be interested in reading it.

I always viewed Amazon Prime Video vs Neflix to be somewhat similar, but after a brief interaction with Netflix it seems much better in regards to language learning. Prime had a few movies in my TL, but I wasn't impressed with them.
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:17 am

Presumably original language shows tends to have more slang and dialects than dubs do. Which is another reason that dubs are good for learning, since you have to work your way up.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:52 am

I'll need to reread the thread a bit, to find out what exactly am I being quoted on :-D

Dubbings are great, as a stepping stone towards the originals, but also as a part to widen the spectrum of stuff available in the target language (and sometimes, you just want to watch something in particular, so why not connect this desire with the language learning profit). They've helped me enormously in all the languages I am rather good at these days. My Italian improved thanks to dubbings too, but it is time for me to try the originals. Italian is a bit specific. While it is normal, that most originals are harder than most dubbed series (but let's not forget the other factors, such as the genre, the specific show, the quality of the dubbing, the target audience, the usual background noise in the series,...), Italian is one one of the languages with major presence of local dialects in the series and movies. That's what makes them harder, but also extremely valuable. When you'll have progressed to the hard series originally made in the language and spent some time with them, you'll simply have no problem with the real natives at all. The dubbed series prepared me very well too, but I could clearly notice what parts of native speech was suddenly less comfortable for me, or I was even understanding less.

Unfortunately, the paid streaming sites are still allowed to use geoblocking (which should be illegal at least within the EU, as it goes against the very basics of it, it is a nationality based discrimination, it goes against the one market, and also against the ideas of sharing each other's cultures including langauges, but the lobbyists are too strong). VPN is one of the ways to counter it, or using the non official streaming sites (in most countries, streaming is not illegal, you are not doing anything wrong. And after all, the companies clearly don't want our money, if they don't let us buy the real product we want, only a damaged version in a different language than we want, or a stupid physical DVD many of us cannot even directly put in the computer anymore).

Finding streaming sites in Italian is not too hard, you just need to deal with the usual mess of falsely free sites, weird ads, and so on. But it is not a major problem, you can find almost anything you wish. If you don't want to use them, you'll have to pay extra for DVDs and their delivery fees, wait for the delivery, pray they are not damaged, look for a DVD reader (not all computers have them, and the external ones are sometimes not comfortable to use, especially while travelling), and either use it on the DVD or rip it to your computer (which is definitely legal to do for your use), and clutter your apartment with the outdated physical objects.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”