How to pass from B2 to C1 and go beyond the intermediate plateau?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
TeoLanguages
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N)
English (C1)
Spanish (C1)
French (B1)
German (A2)

How to pass from B2 to C1 and go beyond the intermediate plateau?

Postby TeoLanguages » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Hi guys! I have 2 questions for you today. The first is how can someone evaluate his level in a foreign language (apart from taking exams, of course)? I speak 4 foreign languages (at different levels) and I still struggle to recognize what my level I have. The latter question is about how can I pass from B2 level to C1. Can someone help me? Let me know and have a nice day!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: How to pass from B2 to C1 and go beyond the intermediate plateau?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:26 pm

Hi TeoLanguages,

I recommend this thread started by myself a good while ago now, you’ll find many answers within:

Time from B2 to C1/C2? (frustrated somewhat- seeking some feedback pls)
6 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:33 pm

TeoLanguages wrote:Hi guys! I have 2 questions for you today. The first is how can someone evaluate his level in a foreign language (apart from taking exams, of course)? I speak 4 foreign languages (at different levels) and I still struggle to recognize what my level I have.

This site has sample reading/listening tests for various CEFR levels that you can take at home (for 15 languages) to get a sense of your level in those skills.

RDearman posted this checklist recently that I found to be very helpful in gauging one's abilities according to the CEFR levels.

If you work with a tutor on iTalkie who is familiar with the CEFR levels and has worked with people who are preparing to take an exam, you can also ask them to gauge your speaking ability.
5 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

TeoLanguages
Orange Belt
English (C1)
Spanish (C1)
French (B1)
German (A2)

Postby TeoLanguages » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:40 am

Thanks for answering, this is so helpful!
0 x

TeoLanguages
Orange Belt
English (C1)
Spanish (C1)
French (B1)
German (A2)

Postby TeoLanguages » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:05 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hi TeoLanguages,

I recommend this thread started by myself a good while ago now, you’ll find many answers within:

Time from B2 to C1/C2? (frustrated somewhat- seeking some feedback pls)

Thank you so much!
2 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:29 pm

I've been trying for years but my speaking just isn't quite there, and I'm sure I posted a longer reply on the linked thread, but I'm quite convinced that except for extremely talented people or people who know a similar language at a native or very advanced level it requires either a good period of immersion (preferably with work and social life in the language) or at least many hours of input in a concentrated period of time (I've never really done the massive input thing so I can't give an idea of numbers, but I'm thinking several hours of TV/film/reading etc. most days for a good few months; I think Cavesa and others have had success with this so maybe they can describe or link to their experiences).

Reaching C1 in receptive skills (listening and reading) isn't that hard if you just put in the time; it's production that's the real tough nut to crack.

There have been many discussions about evaluating your level and the differences between an "exam C1" and a "checklist C1" etc.
2 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:47 am

Echoing GaryB, I would say that it’s important to differentiate between getting to C1 and overcoming the intermediate plateau. I have a C1 certificate for French, but I still feel very much in that plateau.

I think getting the C1 (or any other certificate/result in an online test) can be really useful in terms of working out what to work on, for job applications, etc. But it still feels like you are dragging yourself excruciatingly slowly through the intermediate mud.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”