Language islands discussion

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Language islands discussion

Postby Ccaesar » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:24 am

Hello everyone.
I want to emphasize that the first thing I did before creating this thread was to search for threads containing the words "language islands". It didn't quite yield the wanted results(all I found was this: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... l_Eilanden), so I was wondering if anyone else were interested in creating one discussion/thread to the topic?

I'd like to link to as many of the threads regarding the topic as possible or relevant webpages. And perhaps share a discussion about how everyone goes about practicing/expanding/creating/correcting their islands?

If my searching skills in the forum are poor and this thread already exists, feel free to delete my topic.
1 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Speakeasy

Re: Language islands discussion

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Excellent initiative, Ccaesar! I have a vague memory of someone else having linked this same article; however, as this platform’s search features are surprisingly clunky (it’s not you, it’s the platform!) I was unable to relocate the thread. By the way, are the following discussion threads related to the present one?

islands - LLORG - June 2019
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=10569

Vocab, MindMaps and Conversational Islands – LLORG – October 2018
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9103
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Language islands discussion

Postby iguanamon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:28 pm

Ccaesar wrote:...I'd like to link to as many of the threads regarding the topic as possible or relevant webpages. And perhaps share a discussion about how everyone goes about practicing/expanding/creating/correcting their islands?
If my searching skills in the forum are poor and this thread already exists, feel free to delete my topic.

There is a thread on the forum about language islands: islandhoppers. The last post was in May of 2019.
languist wrote:I found myself thinking about how we acquired vocabulary at school, and while many of the teaching methods were flawed, the way we learnt new words was very effective. First, pick a theme. Next, gather a list of related words. Now memorise them through tests and repetition (nowadays we use srs). Finally, write a paragraph using them in context. Simple, thorough, reliable.
Through this method, we can form many "language islands" upon which to build the foundations of our communication. However, language courses won't cover every topic, and as much as we must all be self-directed learners, we can't always know exactly what we don't know !
In this group, the aim is to offer mini prompts and tasks to inspire vocab acquisition and creative output in your target language.
Each week, there will be a theme and related prompt, ideally one each for beginners and those more advanced. I have ideas for different styles of activities which we can explore if people are interested. This concept is based on something I used to do for learners of English, and I hope that people may find it useful here too.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”