Hitting the language wall again

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: Hitting the language wall again

Postby lichtrausch » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm

alans wrote:I thank-you all for your responses-it gives me hope on this not very hopeful day. I think I need a break as I've been obsessed with
trying to get as far as I can in as little time as possible. I think I spend too much time looking toward some imaginary end-goal....one
day I will have reached the goal and that will be that. But someone once said learning a language is about the journey and not
the destination.

What are your goals for Yiddish?
3 x

pityus
Languages: i can read Harry Potter books in Russian, English and German. maybe French too, someday.

Postby pityus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:47 pm

why don't you start with German? no, seriously.
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:15 pm

pityus wrote:why don't you start with German? no, seriously.

I imagine German resources for Yiddish are likely very good, and knowing German would make Yiddish a lot easier, but if the target language is Yiddish, then it is a question whether learning German is really worth it, especially if English resources are good enough.
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:41 am

Speakeasy wrote:We learn through pain!

I'm not sure if I agree. We learn through pain, yes, but what pain teaches us is to avoid things that hurt. Maybe I'm overinterpreting your post, in which case feel free to ignore the following paragraphs.

Unless you have serious reasons to acquire a language very quickly I'm not sure if there's any sense in engaging with a hobby that is painful. Of course there is a certain amount of "grind" involved in doing repetitive activities (like dictionary lookups, flashcards and other forms of conscious study) that don't show immediate, visible results, but I think you learn to like the "grind" to a certain extent by establishing good habits, because you eventually start associating these activities with results and also grow to like it due to familiarity (in my experience this also applies to other things like physical exercise).

Of course, pain becomes a problem if the lesson you take from it is not that you should avoid the things that caused pain, but extend it to a bunch of other things that are unrelated, that you've erroneously associated with painful experiences. In that case it's bad to take the lesson that language learning as a whole is painful (because it doesn't have to be), rather than language learning with unrealistic or undefined goals centred on production for no real compelling purpose being painful.

I understand the need to think positively, and maybe this is just me, so if positive thinking works for you keep doing it and ignore me. Maybe I'm just a naturally sceptical, somewhat pessimistic person, but positive thinking only works for me when it's born out of real experience and intuition and an understanding of how things actually work. It can't be forced through what I perceive to be platitudes no matter how I try to just think positively for its own sake. For people who think like me heeding the advice of "just keep trying!" is a recipe for disaster. Keep trying, sure, but try recalibrating and figuring out where you went wrong so you can just trust the process and be less anxious about getting results.

alans wrote:My reading has improved but I can barely speak (not that there is anyone to speak with)

If you understand more then from where I'm standing you've acquired quite a lot. The more you understand, the more time you can realistically spend with the language without getting tired or bored. The broader your passive vocabulary, the more words you will be able to realistically activate if there is any actual need for it. The more sentences you understand, the more complete your intuitive model of how the language works. Even if you take a break due to frustration, the fact that you understand more will mean you can more easily jump back into it when you feel like it again.

If you actually needed to speak a language quickly for work or other immediate, compelling reasons then it may make sense to worry about production. Otherwise, especially given the fact that Yiddish is an endangered language, you should think about how much it even matters to have high-level speaking skills and remember why you want to learn Yiddish in the first place.
2 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:18 am

alans, I feel your pain! You stepped into the ring with a sparring partner who taught you that size, weight, arm length, strength, endurance, a solid foundation based on good instruction, training, practice, coupled with self-confidence and a healthy dose of mental preparation are not guarantors of success. So, you feel a little bruised and battered. But, what a learning experience!
Saim wrote:
I'm not sure if I agree. We learn through pain, yes, but what pain teaches us is to avoid things that hurt. Maybe I'm overinterpreting your post in which case feel free to ignore the following paragraphs…
I do not disagree with much of what you wrote; nevertheless, perhaps a bit of clarification might help ...

No amount of preparation in the world will guarantee success in an endeavour; at times, the odds are stacked against us. That is, despite our very best efforts, the goal may be beyond our reach and we must adjust to the fact that we have failed; this is part of life.

To a large extent, it is up to us how we adjust to this reality. Some people seek out reasons that are exterior to themselves and blame their "unjustified" lack of success on external factors (the teacher didn’t like me). Some people simply abandon the struggle. Some people look inwards in an attempt at discovering how their own actions contributed to their defeat, they make what they believe to be the appropriate changes, they buckle down, and they try again. For such people, there is no such thing as a “bad experience” as long as they can learn something from it and apply the lessons learned to their next attempt. It should be clear from my list of “pros” and “cons”, above, that I believe that the OP should view his “defeat” as a good experience.

Having contributed more than I care to the “pain” and “fun” discussion threads, I find that there is not much to be gained by a continued debate over the “We learn through pain!” sub-title. It was nothing more than an "eye-catcher" for the comments that followed. ;)

EDITED:
Typos.
Tinkering.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 8 times in total.
2 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 am

Speakeasy wrote:Having contributed more than I care to the “pain” and “fun” discussion threads, I find that there is not much to be gained by a continued debate over the “We learn through pain!” sub-title. It was nothing more than an "eye-catcher" for the comments that followed. ;)

That's fair, as I said I may have overinterpreted your post. I feel like their is often quite a lot of toxic attitudes wrapped up in some of the typical self-help advice about how pain and mistakes and such are actually good, but since that's not what you're saying that's great.
1 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Steve
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Spanish (Intermediate), Ancient Greek (Intermediate), Hebrew (Beginner), ASL (Beginner), German (Beginner)

Postby Steve » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm

alans wrote:I guess by coming to this forum and posing this questions means my heart is still in it-but I just don't feel like I'm getting ahead and
I'm worn out from trying.

I spent about 25 to 30 years trying to learn to read ancient Greek. I plateaued about 2 to 3 years in and never significantly improved after that. In hindsight, the reason I made little progress was that I was spending the vast majority of my time thinking *about* Greek in English. I was memorizing (and re-memorizing and re-re-memorizing) vocabulary lists and paradigm tables over that time. In other words, I spent countless hours trying to memorize reference materials and thinking about Greek in English. I'd have months of enthusiasm followed by months of burnout. Each time I'd restart, I'd go back to relearn everything I'd forgotten in the mean time. At any given time, I felt like I was learning and progressing. But overall, my rate of progress was glacial.

Perhaps 7 or 8 years ago (I've lost track), I was ready to give up. I was working hard and my "reading" consisted of painstakingly working my way through a few sentences per evening. I did the math and realized I'd be lucky to read a book or two in my life time and that I'd never just enjoy reading ancient Greek literature. To make a long story short, I serendipitously discovered the old HTLAL site, this one, and other videos and blogs by various polyglots and learned much about language learning. Having a background in the sciences and as an analyst, I started distilling what I was learning into a few principles that explained much of what I was reading from successful language learners. After I started applying it, I started seeing real progress.

The key idea is this. You can define the time and effort you put in. You can choose the methods you use. The combination of effort and methods determine the results. When the methods you choose are both enjoyable and effective, you will see much better results. If the methods are enjoyable, you'll stick with it and want to keep coming back the next day to do more. If the methods are not enjoyable, you'll depend on will-power and resolve to labor and toil diligently. If methods are effective, they will start to yield the types of skills you are interested in gaining. If methods are not effective, they will not yield skills you are interested in. A much longer version of the details of this is that we must understand both brain function and how quality and results are related to processes and systems. A part of this is that we are all different and what is enjoyable and effective for one person might not be for the next person.

In hindsight, my Greek learning methods were neither enjoyable nor effective. Memorizing dictionaries and tables is boring never-ending work that cannot be sustained for long periods of time (at least by me). Also, doing this was yielding much practice in looking things up and not actually reading. I was getting faster as looking things up but not better at reading. My brain was constantly thinking in English about Greek and never having a chance to internalize Greek. I was basically using methods that would be useful for passing tests. These methods were never going to yield actual reading skills.

When my Greek skills really took off is when I started practicing actual skills. I picked up an audio recording (modern Greek pronunciation) of the Greek New Testament and started following along with an interlinear. I'd listen and follow along. I'd repeat the same passage over and over until it became *familiar* and then move to the next. I discovered parallel texts (like the Loeb classics) which I'd look at the Greek, understand as much as I could, and then look to the English side for reference. Within weeks to months of starting this, I found that my brain was starting to internalize Greek. I'd see common words and phrases and just recognize them. Over time, my brain was internalizing the most common grammatical structures. I was now spending the vast majority of my time listening to and reading (silently and out loud) Greek. Most of my time was now spent mentally processing Greek rather than thinking in English about Greek. Over time, I'd adapt and use different styles of reading and different materials. The key idea was to supply a steady stream of Greek exposure to my brain with minimum English distractions except as needed. Over time, I simply found that more and more Greek words, phrases, and sentences became familiar as I looked at them. This has been both enjoyable and effective for me. I'll still look things up in dictionaries, lexicons, and grammar books. However, the majority of my time is spent actually reading Greek.

I tried a similar approach to Spanish and made satisfactory progress. I made sure to spend most of my time actually practicing the skills I wanted to acquire rather than memorizing vocabulary lists and paradigm tables. I can enjoyably read easy to intermediate level Spanish on topics of interest to me. I can enjoyably watch Spanish shows on Netflix. I of course am not following everything perfectly, but enough to enjoy the books, articles, or shows. I do need to pause and look things up, but am becoming more comfortable and familiar with things over time. I recently found a small Spanish church near where I live and find that I can interact enjoyably with people there. I find I can usually follow most of what is going on (except for chatting and small talk). This has been improving. The main thing is that I've now reached a point where my Spanish skills are sustaining themselves. I typically spend perhaps an hour or so either reading or watching TV or doing something in Spanish most days.

I've found that it is about letting our brain have the opportunity to become *familiar* with the *use* of the language. I now tend to think of language learning as using similar brain activity as when we learn songs by listening to them on the radio. Few of us set out to memorize songs, but repetitive exposure to various songs over time results in our brains internalizing long segments of various songs.

FYI, I've got a link to my web site in my signature. I've written some more in depth articles on these types of topics.
6 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”