Italian magasine

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Italian magasine

Postby guiguixx1 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:16 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for Italian magasines, I'd like to use the language to learn things instead of using the language to learn the language on its own (which is what I'm doing by reading Harry Potter in Italian: I know the story and this is why I'm reading this book for this language, but I'd like to learn new things while using the language). The issue: I don't live in Italy but in Belgium. Does anyone know how I can get an Italian magasine while not living in the country where this language is spoken?

Thanks in advance for your help!
0 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Re: Italian magasine

Postby StringerBell » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:51 pm

I recently discovered that through Amazon.com it's possible to get a digital subscription to the magazine Focus Italia. I'm not sure if this - or something comparable - is available through the version of Amazon that you use. I've heard that Focus is supposed to be a pretty good magazine.

I was able to find this site that ships magazines internationally. You have to change your home country where it says Delivery and Currency at the top. Under Categories, choose Foreign Language, and then Italian to see which Italian magazines they ship. It's a bit pricey... maybe someone else has suggestions for other options.
0 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:35 pm

You could just ask your local newsagent, they ought to be able to order you something from their distributor. A librarian at your local library might be able to help too.

I recently saw an Italian magazine called Oggi in a large newsagent in my town in England.
3 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:32 pm

I am not sure what is available in Europe but in the US I use Zinio to subscribe to several Italian magazines: Focus, La cucina italiana, Vanity Fair & Marie Claire. I am aware of at least one other service that has local and foreign magazines in the US but I don't recall the name at the moment. You may want to search for some kind of emagazine subscription service available in your geographic location.

Focus covers science, technology, history, health, and social issues. Marie Claire covers daily news, fashion, house furnishing/decorating, lifestyle, etc. Not for everyone. Vanity Fair covers popular culture, fashion, and current affairs. La cucina italiana is all food and recipes and is one I used to have a physical subscription to but it was so expensive I didn't keep it up. The electronic version is much more reasonable. This seems to indicate La cucina italiana is more likely to be available to more countries.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:01 pm

lingua wrote:I am not sure what is available in Europe but in the US I use Zinio to subscribe to several Italian magazines: Focus, La cucina italiana, Vanity Fair & Marie Claire. I am aware of at least one other service that has local and foreign magazines in the US but I don't recall the name at the moment. You may want to search for some kind of emagazine subscription service available in your geographic location.
Library services in my area offer eMagazine access via RBdigital.com and pressreader.com, pressreader has magazines in a variety of languages.

The Italian Cultural Insitute has a library too.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”