I'm writing an email to my Hungarian aunt. Need some help with sentences!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kera
Languages: English (N), Hungarian (beginner)

I'm writing an email to my Hungarian aunt. Need some help with sentences!

Postby Kera » Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:58 am

Sziasztok!

I'm very new to Hungarian but I've started to email my aunt who knows very little English. Currently I'm cross referencing google translate with other resources so it's slow going and questions abound. She's 76 so I don't know how formal I should be either...we're family but we've never met before. Should I use the more formal versions of words? Like köszönöm vs kösz?

Here's some more specific questions:

If I wanted to say "my sister" should I use nővérem or húgom? Specifically in the context: My sister Emily is nineteen years old.

How do I translate the sentence: I can send you pictures of my family if you would like. Google translate is telling me családomról for "my family," but shouldn't it just be családom? The phrase "I can" is also different from google to other translators.

Last sentence: If there is a time that is better for us to visit you, we could do that.

Kösz!!
0 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Re: I'm writing an email to my Hungarian aunt. Need some help with sentences!

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:21 am

Unfortunately I am also only a beginner in Hungarian, but I think I have an answer about the difference between családom and családomról. Many times where we would use prepositions in English, Hungarian uses cases instead, so one Hungarian word will often translate to several English words.

I checked the suffix -ról on Wiktionary and it indicates the delative case. It can have several meanings, including "from" or "about." So I don't have the full context but if you said something like "from my family" or "about my family", that would have encouraged Google to use the delative case.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/-r%C3%B3l

Here is an example I am familiar with where a Hungarian word uses a case/postposition suffix where English uses a preposition. It is the title of Béla Bartók's wonderful piano work A Gyermekeknek, which is usually translated as "for children", but that is not exact.

"Gyermek" means child.

"A gyermek" means the child.

"A gyermekek" means the children.

"A gyermekeknek" means for the children.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Kera
Languages: English (N), Hungarian (beginner)

Postby Kera » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:27 pm

Thank you Deinonysus!
1 x

rad

Postby rad » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Did you ask at the Hungarian subreddit? Frequently there are questions asking for translation help.

If my understanding is correct, noverem is for a sister older than you and hugom for a sister younger than you.
0 x

a386942
White Belt
Languages: English, Russian (beginner)

Postby a386942 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:06 pm

Hi, native Hungarian here :)
Kera wrote:Sziasztok!

I'm very new to Hungarian but I've started to email my aunt who knows very little English. Currently I'm cross referencing google translate with other resources so it's slow going and questions abound. She's 76 so I don't know how formal I should be either...we're family but we've never met before. Should I use the more formal versions of words? Like köszönöm vs kösz?

"Köszi" sounds better than "kösz", so I would recommend you to use either "köszönöm" or "köszi". I think in this situation both are okay. With my older relatives I would rather use "köszönöm".

"kösz" or "kössz" are very loose words I think, it's mostly used between friends
Kera wrote:Here's some more specific questions:

If I wanted to say "my sister" should I use nővérem or húgom? Specifically in the context: My sister Emily is nineteen years old.

If your sister is older than you: A nővérem, Emily 19 éves.
If your sister is younger than you. A húgom, Emily 19 éves.
Kera wrote:How do I translate the sentence: I can send you pictures of my family if you would like. Google translate is telling me családomról for "my family," but shouldn't it just be családom? The phrase "I can" is also different from google to other translators.

"Tudok küldeni képeket a családomról, ha szeretnéd."
"Küldhetek képeket a családomról, ha szeretnéd."
Both are OK.
családom = my family
csalódomról = about my family, of my family etc.
Kera wrote:Last sentence: If there is a time that is better for us to visit you, we could do that.

I am not totally sure I understand the English sentence correctly, but: "Ha valamikor alkalmas, meg tudnánk látogatni téged."
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”