New: DeepL for Windows App

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

New: DeepL for Windows App

Postby Kraut » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:49 am

Does the translation in your documents
https://www.deepl.com/de/app/
4 x

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Re: New: DeepL for Windows App

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:16 am

Thanks Kraut, you beat me to a thread on this one. I downloaded and installed it when I first saw it on beta. On first impression, I think they have come up with a useful desktop app that improves on the experience of the web interface via smart implementation. You basically highlight something, double copy it (control + c twice) and the translation pops up by default as a tray notification (for once, one that is actually useful). I think it is competitive with and complementary to the very popular Transover extension. It is much less obtrusive than most other Translation tools in that it never really blocks your view, steals focus, or takes you away from the page you are on (unless you want it to). I prefer Transover for simple single-word lookups in weaker languages, but for greater quantities of text, a full paragraph for instance, I like this DeepL app much more. I use DeepL sometimes to pick from collocations (but without having to open up linguee or reverso) and see what structural choices I may not have thought of. This app makes that much more seemless. That is the first feature I noticed anyhow. I am sure I have more to discover and configure.
2 x

pingvin10

Postby pingvin10 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:33 pm

Is it missing the "click on a word > get the translations with example sentences" feature?
Because it doesn't seem to offer that option.
0 x
"I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art."

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:15 am

pingvin10 wrote:Is it missing the "click on a word > get the translations with example sentences" feature?
Because it doesn't seem to offer that option.

1. It still offers translation alternatives in the right field that you can click on to be inserted.

2. However, in the non-App Deepl when translating from Spanish into German, you click on a Spanish word and will find the German equivalents below under the original text in the left field.- a dictionary feature. This kind of makes up for the mistakes that occur when you translate from Spanish via English into German or other non-English languages.
The App does not have that feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”