learning vocab / Anki alternative question

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
EmGeeFab
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Hebrew (early intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

learning vocab / Anki alternative question

Postby EmGeeFab » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:00 pm

Hi all,
I've been studying Hebrew somewhat intensely for about 10 months now and my Anki deck is substantial. For a while, I was spending nearly an hour a day going through vocabulary. I've whittled it down to 30 minutes per day, but it still feels overwhelming. Now, I'm only adding twelve new cards per day, which barely keeps me up with my weekly (or less) tutoring sessions.

I am frustrated because it takes so long and sometimes doesn't feel effective (why oh why can't I remember certain words???). I use picture cards and recorded words. I also have dialogs which I make into Cloze cards. I'm a really oral person, so those are my favorites.

Our house flooded and I've been working on the renovation, too, so I've got extra stress in life. I need to find a way to work on this that I actually look forward to. Anki isn't it right now. I'm not ruling out Anki forever, but I may need to take a break. I've got 11,000+ Anki cards right now.

Suggestions?
Thanks, Emily
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: learning vocab / Anki alternative question

Postby Iversen » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:12 pm

Throw the old deck out and start a new one
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm

Some queries.

Are you doing word only or sentence cards?
Have you tried Subs2Srs?
Are your cards close deletion?
Are you using the load balancer plugin?

Edit: saw you are using cloze cards.
2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:11 pm

If it’s a matter of anki overtesting you, yOu can change your settings. You should especially change the steps for new cards and lapsed cards.

https://vladsperspective.wordpress.com/ ... uge-gains/

If it’s a matter of anki sucking up your time due to low retention then you’d have to figure out what’s wrong... A retention rate between 80-90 % is ideal.

You could consider capping the number of reviews. It’ll ensure that you only spend x minutes a day on anki cards. The downside is that you don’t get through all your reviews which will mean your cards will pile up like crazy. I cap my reviews because the intervals are so big ( my intervals for new cards is 7 days for good and 11days for easy- I use cloze deletion ) that it doesn’t make a difference if I answer a card a week later than I was supposed to. I prefer to go back to the deck with 500 reviews piled up after doing other decks because I can’t do 500 reviews in a row for the same deck. So I do eventually get through the backlog until the weekend hits lol ( I usually don’t do Anki on the weekends so that’s why I’m always at least 300 deep in reviews for one of my decks)... however it works for me

I can attest from personal experience that half-ass anking is better than no anki-ing since anki wasn’t the only activity I did to learn korean...

https://choronghi.wordpress.com/2018/05 ... -tv-shows/
2 x

dicentra8
Orange Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), Japanese (JLPT N3), Finnish (beginner), French (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9114

Postby dicentra8 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:02 pm

I've been studying Hebrew somewhat intensely for about 10 months now and my Anki deck is substantial.

Going with the same advice that Iversen gave. If you've spent about 10 months with that, you can throw the old deck and start a new one but an extra thing you can do (which I didn't do for myself... :roll: ) is to save the last backup or export the deck (.apkg file - anki type of files) in some safe place (google drive, your computer, etc)! That way if you want to return to it, all you need to do is download it and import it back to anki.
I am frustrated because it takes so long and sometimes doesn't feel effective

This is something that will always ends up happening with SRS but also learning in general. With anki (srs software) you'll end up having a lot of reviews and it doesn't take too much to make that number go up. The more you study (add to anki) the more reviews will pop up there. Some days are fine and manageable, others it will end up being a lot! Although adding a limit to the reviews kind of helps, after a certain amount of time with a certain deck, I think it's better to remove old stuff from the beginning (or cards that are already "mature cards" and you won't see them for a long time) or start a new one.
There's a useful browsing tip for looking for such cards:
Anki Manual wrote:Card properties
prop:ivl>=10
cards with interval of 10 days or more

Open "Browse" and copy/paste the prop:ivl>= & the interval's number you want.
I just did a quick research and for mature cards it seems to be prop:ivl>=21 (interval equal and/or longer than 21 days).
1 x
"I have to watch the time I spend playing Tetris very carefully."

EmGeeFab
White Belt
Languages: English (N), German (advanced), Hebrew (early intermediate), Spanish (beginner)

Postby EmGeeFab » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:29 pm

I love the idea of starting a new deck - that might be just the thing. I have one deck I really like and one I really am annoyed at. Maybe I'll keep the one I look forward to and trash the other one (or at least abandon it for a few months). Thanks for giving me "permission" :lol: .

I'm going to try to figure out Subs2srs this weekend. I do really well with voices, so that might help. I have a TV series and movie that I'd like to be able to understand.

I tend to be someone who believes that something worth doing is worth overdoing, but I might burn out on Hebrew if I don't stop that approach.

- Emily
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:34 pm

EmGeeFab wrote:I love the idea of starting a new deck - that might be just the thing. I have one deck I really like and one I really am annoyed at. Maybe I'll keep the one I look forward to and trash the other one (or at least abandon it for a few months). Thanks for giving me "permission" :lol: .

I'm going to try to figure out Subs2srs this weekend. I do really well with voices, so that might help. I have a TV series and movie that I'd like to be able to understand.

I tend to be someone who believes that something worth doing is worth overdoing, but I might burn out on Hebrew if I don't stop that approach.

- Emily

I did a 5 part tutorial on creating subs2srs cards from a film and included all the links to all the software you need. Below is part one, and you can find all the rest on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g

2 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:37 pm

rdearman wrote:I did a 5 part tutorial on creating subs2srs cards from a film and included all the links to all the software you need. Below is part one, and you can find all the rest on my channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQEy77 ... 0iG6Zt6H5g

RDearman's tutorial is VERY DEFINITELY worth a look.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”