Conversations That Actually Lead to Fluency?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Conversations That Actually Lead to Fluency?

Postby issemiyaki » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:55 pm

I've just started practicing with someone on italki.com, and I want to make the most out of my conversation lesson.

I know the topic was touched on on another thread below, but they were looking for conversation topics. I'm looking for ideas on HOW to work with the documents to get the most out of the lesson.

Basically, I was planning on doing the following:

1) finding one article or two that I'm really interested in (maybe even a song or a poem);
2) learn the article inside out;
3) practice talking about the article on my own
4) maybe reading about the same issue on other websites to gather more vocabulary; and
5) During the lesson, I won't just talk about the issue, or ask and answer questions, but I'll ask my teacher to talk about the issue extensively (so I'll have that flood of language coming at me) and see if I can paraphrase what he said.

So, this is basically my game plan. Any other ideas to get the most out of these conversation lessons?
0 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Re: Converations That Acutally Lead to Fluency?

Postby tommus » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:20 am

With the approval of your language partner, record your conversations about some of your favourite topics. Afterwards, review the conversation to identify where you were struggling for expressions or searching for words. Work on getting the appropriate expressions and words, and practice them by yourself. Then they will be available to you next time. Also, you could listen carefully for things you didn't understand that your partner said. Learn those too. I think you will find this approach to be a good one to develop improved ability and confidence.
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Postby issemiyaki » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 am

@tommus

Yes, I forgot to include recording the conversations. I'll have to ask my tutor. I hope he's okay with it.

Thanks!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:23 pm

3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

issemiyaki
Orange Belt

Postby issemiyaki » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:03 pm

@Serpent

Wow ... Bakunin's technique is seriously comprehensive. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dwayne
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”