Spanish: transcript of Nómadas' program about Magellan

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Spanish: transcript of Nómadas' program about Magellan

Postby tungemål » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:46 am

To improve my listening skills I listened to a lot of spanish over the last year. One podcast from spanish RTVE that I can recommend is Nómadas, a travelling program.

However when I started with this podcast I found it was too difficult for me to understand without a transcript. Since I couldn't find any, I decided to make one myself, with the help of a transcription app. Here is the transcription I made of Expedición Magallanes-Elcano 500 años despues. It is about Magellan and a voyage that some enthusiasts are undertaking to replicate the famous voyage. They are leaving Sevilla in these days.

(removed document)

There were some bits and pieces that I couldn't comprehend no matter how many times I listened to it. Anybody here that are able to understand this? The parts I didn't get are marked with ??? and a time code.
Last edited by tungemål on Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Re: Spanish: transcript of Nómadas' program about Magellan

Postby El Forastero » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Hello! a very interesting audio about history. Even for a spanish speaker is a content easy and appeling to listen to. There are some mistakes here and there, spelling, punctuation, acentuation, but it's a good transcript. I help you with the first mistakes:

4:30 - económicas, políticas, las mercancías asiáticas eran muy cotizadas (Asian goods)
6:30 - cuando me he dedicado de una manera más intensa (I have spent much more time). The problem here is the pronounciation of the intervocalic d: the aproxiamant [ð] almost dissapeared so "me he dedicado de" is pronounced almost /meeikaoe/
6:49: You have written: ¿quales son los travesiernos importantes? The right way is "¿Cuáles son las travesías más importantes...?
7:10 - Es realmente ambicioso (...) se trata de emular esa gesta náutica de Magallanes y Elcano, dando la vuelta al mundo a vela (...) la vuelta completa al globo (but here, I think he mispronounced "globo", it's a natural mistake in his speech)
7:47 - para nuestras vivencias. Another example of intervocalic consonant elision.
8:35 - Claro (aaa) esto cuando el vuelve el espera, digamos, grandes... (both are fillers)
8:47 - y prácticamente, digamos que se naturaliza español. (another filler)
9 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Thank you, I appreciate it! It is very helpful.
If anyone wants to continue corrections it is now from 9:02. :)

And also thanks for pointing out why it is difficult to perceive these words. The spanish consonant sounds are often very different from the english ones, and the approximants (b, v, d, g) take time to get used to.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:40 pm

I love this nuts and bolts stuff. Kudos to you, Tungemål for rolling up your sleeves and making the transcript, and kudos to El Forestero for jumping right in and helping.
Which transcription app did you use, Tungemål?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:26 am

Don't mention it Image

9:02 - están en el olvido, cuando no denostados. This is the past participle of the verb denostar, a very fancy and old fashion word for "to insult". And "cuando no" is like "even". So, the meaning is: Most of them are all forgotten, even insulted.
9:50 - Tienen una travesía penosísima hasta que llegan a Guam, a la Isla de los Ladrones. This is also a problem due to aproximants.
10:21 - Pues dan una batalla en unas condiciones
10:42 - Tienen un viaje de meses
10:52 - y yo creo que hacen poquísimas millas a la hora. Miles per hour, a speed unit of measure
11:06 - El emperador tiene una enorme satisfacción. Hay que tener en cuenta que en tres años. Tener en cuenta = to consider
13:33 - y bueno. A very common filler among spaniards
14:48 - Al llegar el barco.
15:24 - El mayor riesgo es el hombre al agua, sobre todo si la caída ocurre . That is, when a sailor is ejected from the boat and fell into the ocean. Even worse if it happens at night.
15:37 - Y aún así, con una mar encrespada, el rescate... And even so, with a rough sea. In spanish, "mar" can be femenine for poetic or metaphorical purposes.
3 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:50 am

¡Muchas gracias!

It is by the way a very interesting story, and since I am fascinated by these early world voyages, I startet to read Laurence Bergreen's book about Magellan's voyage. It is originally in english but I read a spanish translation for a more authentic atmosphere, and of course to practice my spanish.

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Which transcription app did you use, Tungemål?

Live Transcribe. It transcribes audio to text in real-time, but it is of course not perfect.
2 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks for the ref to Live Transcribe. I'll give it a go, and I don't expect perfection. ;)
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

El Forastero
Orange Belt

Postby El Forastero » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:47 pm

19:22 - estaba un poco desequilibrado. Another intervocalic consonant elision
19:34 - con toda aquella impedimenta en el agua. Pronounced in the middle of a short of breath, and the intervocalic G is pronounced like a W.
20:14 - consiguieron cargar las preciadas especias. That's it, valuable, precious.
20:54 - No recrearán los errores, ¿no? You won't recreate the mistakes, will you?

There are some other spelling mistakes, some "tildes", and some missed monosilabic words than don't avoid understanding.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask
2 x

tungemål
Blue Belt

Postby tungemål » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm

Ok, thanks again.

I corrected the Google doc with your corrections. If anyone wants to use the transcript for your spanish studies, it is available.

And by the way, doing this transcript was enormously beneficial for my listening comprehension, so I recommend everyone to do this.
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:35 pm

tungemål wrote:Ok, thanks again.

I corrected the Google doc with your corrections. If anyone wants to use the transcript for your spanish studies, it is available.

And by the way, doing this transcript was enormously beneficial for my listening comprehension, so I recommend everyone to do this.

There remain many mistakes though... Not only misspellings and short missed words, but transcription mistakes like:

- Bueno, afortunadamente ya, porque la verdad... > Bueno, afortunadamente diría yo, porque la verdad...
- 23 es la cuenta del botalon > 23 si se cuenta el botalón
- que se lo que estamos en este punto dedicamos > que es en lo que estamos en este punto dedicados

I don't feel like correcting the whole thing carefully as it should be, however.
3 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”