How do you use a coursebook for self-learning?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

How do you use a coursebook for self-learning?

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:31 am

So I’m trying out a few coursebooks. A lot of them seem to be formatted a lot like worksheets to use in school. Right now I just skip over them and listen to dialogues and do a bit of reading.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: How do you use a coursebook for self-learning?

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:43 am

When I use course books designed for classroom use, I just do the exercises myself. There are usually some exercises that are meant to be done individually or that are easy to do individually, like fill-in-the-blanks or rewriting sentences in a different form. Then there are exercises where you are supposed to role-play with classmates or discuss something as a group. I usually do those either in writing or aloud by myself. Role-playing, I would probably just write up the dialogue or possibly act it out myself, maybe using imaginary hand-puppets. Something that is supposed to be discussed, I would normally write out as an essay showing multiple viewpoints. I might try to discuss the viewpoints aloud myself both before and after writing it as well.
8 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”