Extensive Reading help needed

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Extensive Reading help needed

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:26 pm

Hello everyone. I have been using extensive reading to help improve my Tamil for a while. I have been reading Rajaji's abridged version of the Ramayana due to my familiarity with the story from childhood bedtime stories. However, I have a problem. I have reached a part of the story where I don't really understand the writing. My research on extensive reading has not given me information on what I am supposed to do in this case. I have come up with the following options:
1. Give up on the book and read something else
2. Skip this part of the book to one I can start to understand
3. Go through this portion of the text with a dictionary and turn this into intensive reading
4. Read this portion of the book in English translation and go back to the Tamil version later

Which of these options should I take? Or should I do something else entirely? I appreciate any advice this forum can give me.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Extensive Reading help needed

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:17 pm

I would do #3, intensively read this section with a dictionary.
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:15 pm

If you have an English version, you could read both in parallel. I think I would do that in combination with some dictionary work to figure out the words or expressions that are tripping you up.
5 x

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:26 am

Thank you both for responding to my query. I would have replied earlier but I have been quite busy lately. I am going to work through the text with a dictionary as well as the English version. Again, thanks for your help.
2 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Another option which allows you to keep the reading extensive: go back to the beginning, and read what you have read already again.

A second reading from the start allows you to absorb lots more, become more familiar with the author, and to pick up more of their vocabulary.

Then when you come back to the hard section, you will likely find it substantially easier.
7 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:02 am

I'm not familiar with the story. If you can skip the difficult part and the continuation will still make sense, you can definitely do it.
Sometimes you just need to keep going. In this case an audiobook will help if you can get one.
Going back to the beginning or using an English translation is also great.
If you do that, consider writing out the words you understood from the context. That's what Kató Lomb did.

Sometimes reading aloud can also help, but don't overdo it.

https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ding_Books have you seen this article?
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”