How to Maintain some and Improve others

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

How to Maintain some and Improve others

Postby guiguixx1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how some of you guys manage to maintain 3-4 languages at a high level (C1-C2) while adding new languages. I have native French, C2 English, about C1 Dutch (I've never been able to get it higher and it's rather getting weaker), about C1 Spanish and am now working on Italian (B1-B2 I'd say), while having other languages sleeping (Portuguese, German, Esperanto). In order to maintain some strong languages or improve them (like Dutch) I feel like I need constant exposure and daily work, although I'd like to improve in B1 languages that I want to get to B2.

Furthermore, if I want to keep using strong languages like English while maintaining and improving the others, how do I do this in my daily life? I don't seem to be able to keep using (reading, videos,...) English (I use it daily because it's useful, I'm not using it in order to maintain it), Dutch (to improve it), Spanish (to maintain it) while actively learning weaker languages like Italian.

I'm already struggling with 5 languages. How do some of you manage 10 or even more?? Do you program your whole life according to your different languages? Do you force yourself to let some strong languages sleep from time to time to use that time elsewhere? And what do you do when you have to improve a language (from C1 to C2) for work while learning other languages at the same time?

Thanks a lot for your experiences!
5 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Re: How to Maintain some and Improve others

Postby Sayonaroo » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:58 pm

I don’t have that problem but Luca Lampariello does and he decided to solve it by having his life revolve around all his languages. He found a way to incorporate all these languages into his daily life.

https://www.lucalampariello.com/maintai ... languages/
1 x

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Re: How to Maintain some and Improve others

Postby guiguixx1 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Thanks, Sayonaroo, for the link! I never visit Luca's blog, but I see that I should dive into it haha!
0 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”