Shows in Spanish (Mexico) for improving listening comprehension?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
RubiksKid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (several thousand words), Japanese (>2,000 words), French (>2,000 words), Chinese (complete beginner, 50 - 100 words)

Shows in Spanish (Mexico) for improving listening comprehension?

Postby RubiksKid » Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:31 pm

Hello. As the title says, I'm looking for shows in Spanish (specifically that from Mexico) to improve my listening comprehension. Does anybody know of anything I could find online that's free that also includes Spanish subtitles? I think that would be ideal.

I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek, aiming for mastery by 2424.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: Shows in Spanish (Mexico) for improving listening comprehension?

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:31 pm

RubiksKid wrote:Hello. As the title says, I'm looking for shows in Spanish (specifically that from Mexico) to improve my listening comprehension. Does anybody know of anything I could find online that's free that also includes Spanish subtitles? I think that would be ideal.

I would really appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick

Hi, Nick,
Have a look at the first page of the Spanish Group on this forum, then browse through the rest of that thread.
1 x
Tu sabes cuando sales pero no sabes cuando regresas.

Tom
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Tom » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 am

Do you have netflix or do you mean free online?
1 x

Jaleel10
Blue Belt
Languages: Afrikaans (N), English (N)
Spanish (Intermediate - High)
Japanese (Beginner - Low)

Postby Jaleel10 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:26 pm

https://www.telemundo.com/
Biggest telenovela network in the world. Many of the popular shows contain subtitles
Some popular ones:
- El señor de los cielos
- La reina del sur
- Señora Acero

An alternative to telemundo is Univision https://www.univision.com/shows/series
They have a wider variety of content in terms of genres

If you're interested in Spanish from Spain you can google ''RTVE'' and if you're interested in the Argentinian dialect ''Telefe'' is your best bet.
3 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:29 pm

When I was working on listening comprehension I found La familia P. Luche and La rosa de Guadalupe to be the most comprehensible Mexican tv programs. You can find episodes of both shows on YouTube, but I don't know if they have subtitles.

La familia P. Luche is an adult comedy and is really funny. La rosa de Guadalupe is for a younger audience, maybe pre-teen or teen, but it's fairly entertaining. A lot of actors and actresses who are now stars in Mexico were on this show when they were younger.

If you have Netflix there are quite a number of Spanish language shows on there, and the subtitles are very good.
4 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

RubiksKid
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (several thousand words), Japanese (>2,000 words), French (>2,000 words), Chinese (complete beginner, 50 - 100 words)

Postby RubiksKid » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:56 pm

Tom wrote:Do you have netflix or do you mean free online?

I do have Netflix, so either option would work.

Jaleel10 wrote:https://www.telemundo.com/
Biggest telenovela network in the world. Many of the popular shows contain subtitles
Some popular ones:
- El señor de los cielos
- La reina del sur
- Señora Acero

An alternative to telemundo is Univision https://www.univision.com/shows/series
They have a wider variety of content in terms of genres

If you're interested in Spanish from Spain you can google ''RTVE'' and if you're interested in the Argentinian dialect ''Telefe'' is your best bet.

Thank you for the recommendation. I briefly checked out La reina del sur and it's exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The subtitles work too, so that's awesome! The only thing is that the ads are painfully long to endure, and there's no way to avoid them. New window, new tab, nothing works. I think I'll just mute it and study with Anki until they're over.

Hank wrote:When I was working on listening comprehension I found La familia P. Luche and La rosa de Guadalupe to be the most comprehensible Mexican tv programs. You can find episodes of both shows on YouTube, but I don't know if they have subtitles.

La familia P. Luche is an adult comedy and is really funny. La rosa de Guadalupe is for a younger audience, maybe pre-teen or teen, but it's fairly entertaining. A lot of actors and actresses who are now stars in Mexico were on this show when they were younger.

If you have Netflix there are quite a number of Spanish language shows on there, and the subtitles are very good.

I'm going to see if I can find them on Netflix. That would be awesome. I haven't used Netflix in months, but I do have an account through my parents. Thank you for the recommendations.

Anyway, I leave for work soon today, but tomorrow is my day off, so I'll be spending more time going through these resources. Thank you all for the replies!
1 x

Tom
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby Tom » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:11 am

Ok, I liked El Chapo on Netflix. I think it was three seasons long, and there were some good action scenes. Another one on Netflix is Club de Cuervos which is four seasons. I haven't watched it, but I know many people like it. Another one on Netflix I highly recommend is El Internado, but it's in Spain, not Mexico, so that might not meet your needs.
2 x

golyplot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch

Postby golyplot » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:41 am

RubiksKid wrote:The only thing is that the ads are painfully long to endure, and there's no way to avoid them. New window, new tab, nothing works. I think I'll just mute it and study with Anki until they're over.

Luckily, La reine del sur is also on Netflix.

Anyway if you want something that isn't just a soap opera or about drug dealers, as every Mexican show on Netflix seems to be, there's also a Mexican cartoon on Netflix called Legend Quest.
2 x

RubiksKid
White Belt

Postby RubiksKid » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Hank wrote:When I was working on listening comprehension I found La familia P. Luche and La rosa de Guadalupe to be the most comprehensible Mexican tv programs.

I've started watching La familia P. Luche on YouTube and I've found it to be good listening practice. I've watched several episodes so far. I'm definitely going to continue watching.

golyplot wrote:Luckily, La reine del sur is also on Netflix.

Yeah, I started watching it on Netflix. It's much (MUCH) better without all the ads. I watch it with Spanish subtitles, and I alternate between this and La familia P. Luche.

golyplot wrote:Anyway if you want something that isn't just a soap opera or about drug dealers, as every Mexican show on Netflix seems to be, there's also a Mexican cartoon on Netflix called Legend Quest.

I found the show, but it seems to only be available in English, although it's listed as a Mexican TV show. Maybe there's an option to watch it in Spanish. I'm not sure.
1 x

golyplot
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch

Postby golyplot » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:02 am

I watched Legend Quest in Spanish, so it's definitely possible. It would be very weird if Netflix *removed* language options.

Edit: I just checked and Spanish is (still) a supported audio option, among many others. Although English is listed as [Original].
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”