Polish : Things that don’t fit

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DarrenDaka
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Polish (B1) , Swedish (A1)

Polish : Things that don’t fit

Postby DarrenDaka » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:14 am

Hi guys

I’m learning Polish and I came across this sentence
Jego dyrektor twierdzi, że Paweł jest zdolny i obowiązkowy.
I understand the sentence and the meaning completely but when I’m looking at the meaning the English word doesn’t make sense in this context . I would translate this as

His director argues, that pawel is capable and obligatory. But the word obligatory doesn’t make sense here in English.

Can someone explain to me am I missing something here and if so what do I do about it.

F.Y.I I know things can be difficult to translate etc and I just wanted to know what I’m missing no lectures on well not everything can be translated etc

Thanks guys

Darren
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: Polish : Things that don’t fit

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:51 am

Well, the word that would fit better in this context is "dutiful".
1 x

DarrenDaka
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Polish (B1) , Swedish (A1)

Postby DarrenDaka » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:48 pm

I thought that myself I’m more interested into the whys now :)
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:04 pm

And I'm interested what kind of answer do you consider a sufficient explanation. The general answer to these kinds of questions is "that's how it is". Or you can, I don't know, dig into the history of etymological and semantical change of each word now, if you have lots of free time and enthusiasm.
That is just one of the meanings of the word. You can look it up in the dictionary (English wiktionary, or Polish wiktionary, for example). In order to understand the meaning of the word in the context you need to know all those potential meanings (or be able to guess them) and apply the appropriate one in the context (sometimes, you can just know from experience that with certain words, in certain collocations, the word has a certain meaning). The second meaning in the Polish wiktionary is marked as "(o człowieku)", i.e. it is (usually) applied to humans. You can use that as a general rule of thumb. Overall, there's no definite algorithm, other than having sufficient language experience to know which meaning of the word fits better. Why does the word "burn" in the expression "sick burn" (in certain contexts) mean "insult", rather than "injury caused by fire"?
Last edited by Dragon27 on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:32 pm

DarrenDaka wrote:Hi guys
Jego dyrektor twierdzi, że Paweł jest zdolny i obowiązkowy.
I understand the sentence and the meaning completely but when I’m looking at the meaning the English word doesn’t make sense in this context . I would translate this as
His director argues, that pawel is capable and obligatory. But the word obligatory doesn’t make sense here in English.

It is because "obowiązkowy" has two meanings - obligatory and conscientious, dutiful. Here only the second one fits.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”