Advice on diving back into Italian

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Advice on diving back into Italian

Postby guiguixx1 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:58 pm

After quite a long period full of work for my job, I can finally dedicate some time to language learning again. This time, I want to focus on Italian again, a language I abandoned at +-B1 level and haven't worked on for some time.

Having native French and a C1 level in Spanish, I can understand a lot but my active skills are still quite weak (although I can easily make basic sentences on the spot using frequently used words)

I was wondering how to work on it again with the passive knowledge I have and the help I get from French and Spanish. I thought of going quickly through my Assimil book, but I quickly got bored and I felt I was wasting my time since I studied Italian before and have a good passive basis.

Since I'm partly learning it to do some activism in Italian, I was thinking of reading articles related to the topic in Italian since I'll need a specific vocab. I also need to be able to answer on the spot and therefore need good speaking skills and I'll have to automatize my speech, word choices and conjugations

I'm a bit lost regarding which methodology to follow in order to stay focused on one method and advance fast. For now, I'm reading an article, I'm writing the unknown words along with the sentence and I'll use Lucas' bidirectional translation technique. I'm translating the article from Italian to French, and then I'll do it back from French to Italian

My goal is to reach active B2 and work on it for 1 hour a day, maybe 1,5 hours.

Any thoughts on this methodology?

Thanks in advance
1 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Re: Advice on diving back into Italian

Postby guiguixx1 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:23 am

After some thoughts and already some experimentation with the bidirectional translation method, I've come up with the following steps regarding working with articles:

STEP 1: read the article in my head and understand it

STEP 2 : read the article aloud

STEP 3 : translate the article in French (write it down) et write down the unknown vocab with the context in a list

STEP 4 : translate the article back in Italian and check with the original article. If there are words I couldn't translate, put them in the vocab list

STEP 5 : the next day, translate the article again from French to Italian
4 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”